Flyer preference

Riggs

Yeah I love the idea of double Flamer Landspeeder. It's something I always wanted to play in 7th but couldn't because of those stupid vehicle rules.

Fast moving flamer are awesome, I learned that with my Flamer Crisis squad (at least 8"+1d6" move plus deep strike :P ) and mass flamer can hurt a LOT of things. It's also a very reliable way to deal wounds since it doesn't get affected by to-hit modifier at all unlike other weaponry.

I know they probably aren't hugely points efficient but ...

I went 3-0 at my last tournament while fielding 4 Stormtalons.  High mobility and the ability to hover makes them effective at applying all their firepower every turn rather than needing to finesse your way into position.

The Fireraptor may be the only BA accessible flyer that trumps STs for ground units.

I know they probably aren't hugely points efficient but ...

I went 3-0 at my last tournament while fielding 4 Stormtalons.  High mobility and the ability to hover makes them effective at applying all their firepower every turn rather than needing to finesse your way into position.

The Fireraptor may be the only BA accessible flyer that trumps STs for ground units.

Firstly, how did you have them armed and secondly, do you still feel that way now that the TLAC is being made more expensive?

Firstly, how did you have them armed and secondly, do you still feel that way now that the TLAC is being made more expensive?

Typical bullet farm formation: assault cannons and heavy bolters

I'm playing with dropping 2 of the Stormtalons in favor of a pair of Stormhawks.  The TLAC price increase is mostly not a big deal other than making them less point efficient from a 'how much can they kill' perspective.

I just realised that my Talons have jumped up in price because if the Assault Cannon hike.

In view of this, I'd say the Fire Raptor is now the best flyer, and the Xiphon as runner up because it can engage all targets effectively unlike the Hawk and Talon.

Fire Raptor is beneficial to BA as it can clear away chaff to make way for assaults from reserve, and Dante can keep up with it somewhat as it zooms around so he can buff it with his aura.

The Stormraven remains a strong option too because you can transport Cataphractii Termies and a DC Dread :-D

Edited by Ishagu

It's worth remembering that BA can take Storm Eagles too, these days. Got a fair few guns (I run with Typhoon ML for versatility, two twin lascannon, and the missile pods on top) and PotMS, and the largest infantry capacity short of a Lord of War (20). Edited by Maakeff

Leave the tail as is says I *nod. I do mine that way too. Because Aerodynamics or something. =)

Those panels are obviously air brakes, intended for rapid decel stall manuevers using antigrav to engage targets of opportunity ya see. *nod.

Looking great !!

Edited by Crimson Ghost IX

While the Hawk looks much better, I just can't get past the fact that it can't move and fire without penalty, can't drop to hover, and at best hits ground targets on a 4+, or a 5+ with its anti-air guns that are kind of lacklustre thanks to str7.

While it does rock versus infantry and light vehicles that fly, not everyone has those units, and I feel many games it's not going to have a prime target.

It's worse than the talon against ground targets, and the xiphon can engage the big flyers like Ravens, Eagles, and Raptors much better thanks to a much more focused loadout, with 4 lascannon shots that can move and fire withought penalty, for not many more points.

While the Hawk looks much better, I just can't get past the fact that it can't move and fire without penalty, can't drop to hover, and at best hits ground targets on a 4+, or a 5+ with its anti-air guns that are kind of lacklustre thanks to str7.

While it does rock versus infantry and light vehicles that fly, not everyone has those units, and I feel many games it's not going to have a prime target.

It's worse than the talon against ground targets, and the xiphon can engage the big flyers like Ravens, Eagles, and Raptors much better thanks to a much more focused loadout, with 4 lascannon shots that can move and fire withought penalty, for not many more points.

Hear ya on the move n shoot thing, so I always build magnetized to be hawk or talon.

As for the fin - just can't make myself mount it as GW tells us. But then I'm the guy that painted this up in BA regalia a full edition before it was declared legit, so my tailfins following rule of cool is a minor thing.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Hp_Er8f6fo5AZZQ6Ci7HWzrzROPcIpAbOMT_vNs8WMipuqNCHQzjpHIDxOB_ZZL9sTEjggmRXGENND74Y6cmVGwwjwJqPTBGHYBkKs5r6Q3QvIQOc1CD9LorFaP4SohYAYLTpfy6EDhJRj-xj68qQevg6ha1yJmxBjZKc-r7ycdj2h6qcGtSYnGocUvJhwoyxlgI6kjFf7tvcGwyY8ph5Gm0M5tOrb34UCKPTHA4kMNUWTEJbmDVGWFtma8WU64_AuvcdNNpTWMpIS1x1dvzXPimCpRdMqmj-I0PwS7g03ow2gaZSVxo8V-JA8SzV_uUo2dAUWpoydNU2IeQKXTXuG5OqNnHrlAKYXby-ZkfaHYo-f47Ne2TUBGBXLXg_A-4iTndTBzPKbjkxXpwhWk-mzOtIa46c2tiMUuTaYHaF7MthoIzrEv_IC9PRyX_H4HQlerktdDoetTW8oVNpnNJAcCx9Rd6wtEioVmC1NB8NDa0BFzp3k6oj6l-kjwc8aqmPPJJoVeogHrAA3UpuAnPOSSmDAjvo6dd-DlK88T6oGTjEXM7EOIubWlSl9y4Iz9ZjUFCw_eNIyMDE9vaCPvFbpQOdMkjXFBKBs8r8pkIseEc8Z6ttODheHZ0udW9mjUSw_6YcGLJTUnW7arZbcKECbVNacGpzTpU8Eqj=w924-h929-no

I feel like it's best to not get too attached to forgeworld units these days- I'm seeing more and more people both online and locally who are really not happy with how they're balanced.

Well, given they're fully official, there's nothing GW can really do. There used to be the "access" argument, but now the rules are purchasable from the digital store, so that's gone. Balance? GW aren't going to say "FW is no longer official" just because of balance issues, they'll just have FW release their own Chapter Approved. I'm seeing lots of people online complain about how Eldar are balanced, but we're not going to see them made illegal to use.

I feel like it's best to not get too attached to forgeworld units these days- I'm seeing more and more people both online and locally who are really not happy with how they're balanced.

Well, given they're fully official, there's nothing GW can really do. There used to be the "access" argument, but now the rules are purchasable from the digital store, so that's gone. Balance? GW aren't going to say "FW is no longer official" just because of balance issues, they'll just have FW release their own Chapter Approved. I'm seeing lots of people online complain about how Eldar are balanced, but we're not going to see them made illegal to use.

Officially illegal by GW? Obviously that won't happen. You can't say FW hasn't been an issue so far in 8th though, with units like Malefic Lords basically breaking the game until Chapter approved and even afterward it's pretty apparent that several very powerful units are pretty undercoated. My Sicaran, much as I love it and it pains me to say this, should not cost 205 points or whatever it does. There should not be a 10 pt difference between a Stormraven and a Fire Raptor. On the whole I'd say it's better now than in the index but I still see some very valid complaints both online and at the game store where I play.

The concern for me personally is that people are going to be less willing to play with somebody that brings FW in pickup games. I don't want it to be like taking a superheavy where you feel like you need to ask permission before playing one. I absolutely adore my Sicaran and I want to be able to bring it to every game without getting the stinkeye.

Officially illegal by GW? Obviously that won't happen. You can't say FW hasn't been an issue so far in 8th though, with units like Malefic Lords basically breaking the game until Chapter approved and even afterward it's pretty apparent that several very powerful units are pretty undercoated. My Sicaran, much as I love it and it pains me to say this, should not cost 205 points or whatever it does. There should not be a 10 pt difference between a Stormraven and a Fire Raptor. On the whole I'd say it's better now than in the index but I still see some very valid complaints both online and at the game store where I play.

The concern for me personally is that people are going to be less willing to play with somebody that brings FW in pickup games. I don't want it to be like taking a superheavy where you feel like you need to ask permission before playing one. I absolutely adore my Sicaran and I want to be able to bring it to every game without getting the stinkeye.

I disagree with you. The Sicaran is costed just right and comes with the added restriction of being a relic. What makes you say it's under-costed, aside from comparison to the lack luster and overpriced Predator variants?

The Fire Raptor is also costed correctly. It's not exactly impossible to shoot down and it has no transport capacity unlike the Raven.