Codex vs Index

BloodTzar

Hello guys,

by all means, I do not mean this as some sort of speculation or WAAC theory hammer, I am just being super confused;

THE PROBLEM:

While we are getting new codex with all the options we remain to have the INDEX that have been released in summer. Now some option might not be included in the codex, are we still able to bring units from INDEX?

To be more precise; Librarian with Storm shield, not being in SM codex (believe the same is applied for BA),yet he is in INDEX. SO can I use this HQ choice? Moreover if I pick him, what sort of psychic powers does he have access to INDEX or CODEX (shield of sang 4++ or 5++) ?

Moreover does this INDEX choice benefit from the BA chapter tactics not listed in INDEX (red thirst etc.)?

Same goes for Las-Plas Razorback; since this is clear INDEX choice, can I used the Stratgem; to move him additional 6"?

Thank you brothers in advance!

~BT

Edited by BloodTzar

Yes we can still bring all the options from the Index even if they aren't in the Codex. However it is wise to prepare for a time where the Index options aren't legal anymore. Probably with the next Codex whenever that might be.

Basically, if it has been replaced in the Codex you use those. So powers, rules, points, Datasheets, etc, are from the Codex.

If there's an option from the Index - such as a power sword on a Sanguinary Priest - you may use that with the points, rules, etc, coming from the Codex (or Index if the Codex lacks them)

23559663_925370417618116_581828654404385

Edited by Jolemai

gallery_84244_11417_298607.jpg

So there you go; use the datasheet from the Codex for everything except the wargear options, which you can choose using the index if you like. Regardless of this, you still use the points costs and rules for that wargear as presented in the Codex.

As for powers, you'll use whatever powers are included in the Sanguinary discipline in the Codex.

Edit - Ninjad on the flowchart!

Edited by Halandaar

Would be good if we used this thread to list....

• What didn't make the codex and is no longer usable
  • What didn't make the codex and is still usable

For example all the things like company vets and more obscure options, what did and didn't make it?

I think I would use the index to continue to use units that you already have, but I think making new index units would be a bad idea. Unless you are happy to accept a limited shelf life.

For example, vets with storm bolters and jump packs remain really good. I however will not be making any, as I don’t want to be investing in something that is quite clearly on its last legs from a game legal perspective.