Lore Rational for an Escher Imperial Guard?

Arganias

My wife has been pretty interested in an all female Imperial Guard army for a while now. We were originally going to buy Victoria Miniatures Mordian equivalents, but with the release of the new Necromunda gangs, she is liking the more disorganized and individualistic Eschers gangers. She plays Space Wolves and tends to love less traditional military personalities.

I know there are Imperial Guard Regiments raised from Necromunda, but they all seem to be from the Spider Clan. I was reading Dark Imperium recently and noticed that, contrary to popular belief, it wasn't just the Primaris Marines that saved the day, but massive forced conscription in to the guard. How feasible to you all think it might be for Escher gangers to get drafted and fight off world. With the 120 year time jump there could be a few well established Escher gang-regiments. I also imagine that if Necromunda, especially with its close proximity to Terra, was used this way they would have to form their units around gangs due to inter-House hatreds.

I imagine the themes would be fairly bright and bombastic colors with looted gear.

With no definitive fluff either way, I say grab that idea and run with it. Alternatively, she could create her own Hive World and recreate the Gang/Regiment angle without leaving an opening for GW to invalidate her efforts.

Either way, make sure we get pics, because I feel like the models will be an amazing sight en masse.

Cheers,

Jono

Yeah I would say use them as a custom regiment, she could use this to help with some backstory.

Or there's the Mordant Acid Dogs which as you can see on the page use female guard that look fairly Escher-y and I feel like they'd be good for someone who likes space wolves as they are, as you said, less traditional.

Either way

Edited by brettfp

I know there are Imperial Guard Regiments raised from Necromunda, but they all seem to be from the Spider Clan. I was reading Dark Imperium recently and noticed that, contrary to popular belief, it wasn't just the Primaris Marines that saved the day, but massive forced conscription in to the guard. How feasible to you all think it might be for Escher gangers to get drafted and fight off world. With the 120 year time jump there could be a few well established Escher gang-regiments. I also imagine that if Necromunda, especially with its close proximity to Terra, was used this way they would have to form their units around gangs due to inter-House hatreds.

Necromunda, as with any other Hive World, raises a huge number of Astra Militarum regiments, and I absolutely believe that a good number of them would have been Eschers in their pre-IG lives.

As far as modelling and themes, anywhere from a very regimented and traditional military feel to a more individualistic approach would be appropriate for them - and it sounds like she'd want to go with the latter.

With the chemical and poison theme that the Eschers have going on, I'd absolutely include a Bane Wolf (or three) in the force if it were me.

The only thing that you need to make sure is the WYSIWYG thing happening for the weapons :smile.:

That really depends on the gaming group.  Some would insist on WYSIWYG matching the weapons in the codex; others would be fine with a "hey, these are all this; this unit has nine of X and one of Y" approach - las-, auto-, and shotguns all as lasguns, chem-throwers as flamers, etc.  It's something to keep in mind, but it all really depends on who she intends on playing with.

Edited by KhorneHunter57x

The only thing that you need to make sure is the WYSIWYG thing happening for the weapons :smile.:

That really depends on the gaming group.  Some would insist on WYSIWYG matching the weapons in the codex; others would be fine with a "hey, these are all this; this unit has nine of X and one of Y" approach - las-, auto-, and shotguns all as lasguns, chem-throwers as flamers, etc.  It's something to keep in mind, but it all really depends on who she intends on playing with.

The good news is that the box contains 6 lasguns and two autoguns so you can equip them almost completely WYSIWYG if you use the chem thrower as a flamer (which is just a colour palette swap away) and have a boltgun sarge. 

I'm surpirsed no-one has pulled up that old 3rd (?) ed guard page with hte different regiments sketches on... there is one that is practically an escher there (although the call up says they are some amazonian regiment). So they could easily be from a different hive, planet, or even time... the spiders were also (iirc) organised into platoons/companies based on their gangs before consription... so no reason they couldnt be the necromundan 17th... drafted from the clan wars in subsector 45-xxd from the escher gangs of the [gang names redacted], while their adversary was folded into an existing (goliath) regiment of the 12th necromundan in order to aid with unit cohesion. 

Doesn't the Spider Clan just contribute towards the Necromundan 8th? I hadn't seen anything about the other clans not contributing towards recruitment, and surely it's a way for the other clans to pass off any "troublesome" members. Up-and-coming clan members posing a risk to the ruling families? That's the Guards problem now! Hard to usurp the throne when you're on the other side of the galaxy facing down a screaming tide of Hormagaunts.

I really appreciate all of the feedback!

I think she likes the idea of House Escher, but I think she is okay with doing House Totally-not- Escher if there does become some deeper fluff on it.

@spafe I know which one you were talking about! The Xenonians! They do look really similar and might look cool with some DE pieces mixed in (still waiting for my box of Eschers to arrive to experiment).

@Lord_Caerolion I could only find references to the Spiders being in the guard, but the 8th was the only I could find any info on. I suppose that is what I get with a sample size of 1, lol. I do like the idea of sending some of the juves and gangers that were maybe messing with the delicate balances of power of the underhive, or pissed off the wrong gang leader and dragged their literal-punk behind to the nearest conscription center.

My wife does also like making her own factions, she made her own exiled red-Space Wolves (the Band of the Red Paw).

An idea for the regiment lore: if she is going to be building an all female guard force its likely that your wife will eventually need to expand to more models than just the Escher gang, which could create a pretty cool “disorganized” look for the regiment.

In the Gaunts Ghost series the Tantith 1st Regiment often either pick up new recruits on a world they liberate or get reinforced from other battered regiments. There could be something really cool in an all female regiment that picks up new recruits from each world they liberate. I’m thinking about volunteers who’ve lost their homes and families and have sworn vengeance on the enemies of the Imperium, fiercely loyal to each other. Imperial Guard regiments don’t typically get reinforced like that, but it doesn’t seem to stretch the lore too far and seems like it would let her use a wide range of different model types.

Edited by imperialguard

In the original necromunda rules (or one of its suppliments - I can't remember for sure) it commented that if your gang became bad-ass enough, they could be recruited into the imperial guard.  So having an Escher guard army is not a problem, fluff wise.

@spafe Will do! Gonna probably be slow going there, but she is inheriting a lot of tanks since I am going to be running Elysians myself. The pictures will flow!

@imperialguard That is a good idea, we have a handful of the not-Mordians from Victoria miniatures we could sprinkle in and add some flare with! I do really enjoy the thought that after so long and through casualties in the field, they might add some additional BA women to their regiment, make them honorary Eschers. There could be a story there about how a regiment is gone for so long, the surviving, original gang members might not understand those that stayed on Necromunda.

@Dr_Ruminahui That sounds like an awesome way to establish them. Perhaps they have been dealing with genestealers and chaos cultists so much they get drafted since they were unknowingly doing the Emperor's work while protecting their turf.