BA Paint Questions

XstaSea

Hey guys,

I have been asked to paint a squad of Primaris Blood Angels and to try and get em as close as possible to the Heavy Metal version. One thing i wanted to know is what is the best colour to get thhat bright red? I feel that mephiston red is still a bit darker, i can put on a few layers but i feel it doesnt have the same brightness as the heavy metal versions. Are they using Wazdakka/Evil Suns as a full coat over Mephiston? I would of thought evil sunz would only be for highlights but now im not sure...

All help appreciated.

Maby just paint Mephiston red on a white undrcoat for the brightness?

Hmm not really, he drybrushhes qhich gives it a matte effect. Also the one he does is still a bit darker than the HM ones. Gives me some ideas though, maybe i need to mix Mephiston Red with some Evil Sunz to give it a slightly brighter tint...

Heavy Metal figures are generally photographed with super bright lighting for photos like the webstore ones as well as some photo correction; that'll be why the ones in the video look darker.

GW schemes are very prescriptive, Mephiston Red is the armour colour of Blood Angels.

Painting over a white rather than black undercoat should make it lighter. It seems that GW use black though (see the BA tactical marine tutorial vid they did).

Edited by sockwithaticket

The 'eavy metal team often mixes their own colors to get the look they want so if you don't find the right color that might be the reason.

What the others have said about taking photos with different light/editing the pictures and getting a brighter result by undercoating/priming white are true as well.

Also keep in mind that the surroundings of athe pictures make colors look different as well. It's an optical illusion. Our eyes are weird like that. ^^

Edited by Jolemai

1- use many thin layers of mephiston red (thinned down) Inthink they use a lot the lahemiam medium but a bit of water does it too.

2- be précise with the washes almost do it in a liner way

3- highlight, lots of highlights done with 2-3 different colours. This will weirdly give a brighter feel to the red, something psychological I guess.

Some models are also painted with zenital lights, either with undercoat layers of yellow/orange or with blending. This is hard to do.

Okay, so if you want the style the eavy metal primaris used, I can tell you exactly what dave perryman (the man that painted them) did:

Hello sorry for the slow response. Here is the complete recipe I hope it helps. Basecoat 50/50 Mephiston Red & Evil Suns Red. Shade: Khorne Red & Black, you can do a soft shade of just Khorne but for consistency the shade is lined in to the recesses. First chunky highlight is Evil Suns followed by Troll Slayer Orange, sharp highlight Fire Dragon Bright around all edges, corner highlight Tau Light Ochre and add white for any extreme corners or where the light would hit. Thats it really, if you have any other questions please let me know

I followed up saying:

Thanks! I had guessed correctly on it being 50:50 then, that's good 1f642.png

I used the mephiston red spray to undercoat and then had started giving models a couple of coats of those two.

Interesting on the shading, I don't think I'd have guessed that! Did you use something to make the fire dragon bright less bright? Like a glaze or anything?

They're absolutely wonderful by the way, really captured an old school 2nd ed vibe that instantly made me want to try and replicate it (although I don't have the skill you have!)

Thanks agai

to which david said:

No glazes used on these. If the Fire Dragon is too bright you could mix it with the Troll Slayer. The key is sharpness for marines, ideally each successive high light should be thinner than the previous, this creates the illusion of a smooth transition, so start off chunky enough that you can get your other highlights in and pay attention to where your lightsource is which is usually above the miniature, so your lightest highlights will be along the top edges of armor panels. 1f642.png1f44d.png

Hope that helps!

and my attempt at following the guide (I will definitely (probably) have more examples at some point)...

gallery_14877_13354_534473.jpg

Edited by Blindhamster

• 1 month later...