The Cadian 75th 'Ice Bears'

Devloveslasguns

Hi all,

I'm a long time reader but 1st-time poster. After being inspired by all the excellent army WIPs on here I thought I would like to contribute.

The Cadian 75th 'Ice Bears' were formed from the hives of the Frozen southern tundra. Because of their tundra training environment, they are hardy, even by Cadian standards and while they are as capable as any Cadian when it comes to the gun line defense, because of there especially brutal surroundings they excel at close range environment fighting, Punishers, Demolishers, Short range Las Fusillades and fearless guardsmen charging with Bayonets attached. Most of the 1st draft was from an industrial hab centered around an ecclesiastical Monastery complex and because of this, they have always been supported in battle by priests and the more 'unusual' aspects of the imperium's faithful.

Since the fall of Cadia the unit has been 'procured' by Inquisitor Tomás de Torquemada and are thoroughly enjoying themselves smashing the filthy heretic and Xenos whenever they can, all shore leave has been canceled but spirits are high nonetheless.

I actually have much of this army already painted so it's more of an 'On parade' but I personally love seeing other peoples work and I am quite proud of mine. I hope you enjoy the updates and I look forward to your comments. Painting and modeling advice will always be welcome.

I will also try and post a battle report from time to time as well. I've never written one before but quite fancy having a go.

An old Ogryn, he is possibly going to get a good dremmeling at some point to put a maul and shield on him.

25184104528_5da12bf7c4_z.jpgOgryn 2 by Dev Freeman, on Flickr

24189564987_e1a6f080e2_z.jpgOgryn 3 by Dev Freeman, on Flickr

27273866959_c2094be9a4_z.jpgOgryn 1 by Dev Freeman, on Flickr

And the priest, he's not quite finished yet, the robes need a bit more work, his chainsword needs re-doing and obviously, his backpack needs painting.

24189565147_56d77b2175_z.jpgPriest 1 by Dev Freeman, on Flickr

25184104578_8ae3347d3a_z.jpgpriest 2 by Dev Freeman, on Flickr

More to come!

Victory Comes From Big Guns And Dead Men.

Edited by Devloveslasguns

Welcome aboard :smile.: Your models are very nicely painted it'd certainly help to post the image directly here. If you want to keep the images on Flickr it has a share button in the bottom right of the image page (the arrow) that can let you do something like this if you select the BBCode option:

25184104578_8ae3347d3a_b.jpg

All hobby bits are good for your army's topic, but batreps are especially fun because they're your army in action. They're not difficult - the hard part is making sure to get pictures and remembering everything that happened :wink: Looking forward to seeing more :thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliment Warrior fish, I try to keep them as realistic and grimdark as possible, The muted colours and dirty appearance isn't everyone's cup of tea, especially those who have been brought up on GWs more recent 'Disney' painting style. Edited by Devloveslasguns

Cool, good start so far. Personally ive always favoured dirty and gritty over clean appearance, just aesthetic preference.

Ive never used Flickr but i find Imgur to be quite user friendly for hosting forum images.

Thanks for the compliment Warrior fish, I try to keep them as realistic and grimdark as possible, The muted colours and dirty appearance isn't everyone's cup of tea, especially those who have been brought up on GWs more recent 'Disney' painting style.

I did try and use that link source first but it told me that it wasn't compatible with the forum. What is the 'BBCode option:'  pre/suffix you are using to get that image to show?

I'm with you on the grim dark painting style, (even though my dark eldar say otherwise) sinister paintjobs for a sinister galaxy. I'd like to see your tanks and infantry. Also, welcome to the forum

Do you have any vehicles to accompany them, are they in the same scheme or is there some difference between infantry and armour?

If you go to the image's page (e.g. https://www.flickr.com/photos/141735187@N02/24189565147/in/shares-3v75N2/), on the bottom right of the dark grey backdrop are four buttons. The second from left arrow is the share one, click that and select BBCode and you're away :smile.: You can directly link to images with the image's URL (I usually do it this way), but you'll soon find your way around BBCode - if not PM me and I'll help you out :smile.:

I have a battle at Warhammer world tomorrow evening so I will be getting stuff out tonight. I'll take some pictures for posting tomorrow.

Tanks and Infantry it is (and maybe an arco-flagellant I just finished). I shall try and write the report up over the weekend as well.

Now all I need to do is work out how to use the BBcode.

I've read the instructions and it may as well be written in some filthy Xeno's language for all I can understand it.

Do you have any vehicles to accompany them, are they in the same scheme or is there some difference between infantry and armour?

If you go to the image's page (e.g. https://www.flickr.com/photos/141735187@N02/24189565147/in/shares-3v75N2/), on the bottom right of the dark grey backdrop are four buttons. The second from left arrow is the share one, click that and select BBCode and you're away :smile.: You can directly link to images with the image's URL (I usually do it this way), but you'll soon find your way around BBCode - if not PM me and I'll help you out :smile.:

I have lot's of Vehicles! (I think about 20 counting walkers as well)

I have a habit of overpainting and never, ever finishing a project beyond about a 1000pts. I really wanted to 'get through' this army so everything is in the same thematic colour scheme of Blue and grey. Some models aren't, such as Psykers and Torquemada's entourage,  but the army is very consistent throughout otherwise. I also promised myself that I would finish painting it before I started putting squad markings on the Infantry or weathering the tanks beyond mud and rust as well. 

I love WarhammerWorld. I'm very lucky in that is actually my closest GW shop! It's always fun...and expensive.

Mate, know that pleasure - I moved to Nottingham with work just over a year ago, and was delighted to discover that WW was only seven minutes drive away. My Mrs is still convinced that it was a set up...

Hi Guys,

New pics as promised. They aren't great to be honest. Mainly because I was trying to take them in my underlit Kitchen at 11pm last night. The Wyvern and Hellhound are ok, The Arco-flagellant ispretty poor though. I've done what I can in editor but otherwise, I will upload some fresh images tomorrow when I am taking them in natural light!

The Wyvern.

39036514842_2c3e1c9d2d_z.jpg20171214_230546 by Dev Freeman, on Flickr

38185317005_dcebb8e2dd_z.jpgWyvern by Dev Freeman, on Flickr

25200326768_4c04627b4d_z.jpgWyvern by Dev Freeman, on Flickr

I think I probably mastered my metal effect with this model, though still not sure if it would benefit from a final coating of Agrax

24205956227_6833dcf908_z.jpgWyvern by Dev Freeman, on Flickr

It's also where I discovered the wonders of a 0.005 sharpie pen!

25200326408_b50d7d3795_z.jpgWyvern by Dev Freeman, on Flickr

39067208281_cdd4411880_z.jpg20171214_230441 by Dev Freeman, on Flickr

My Arco-Flagellant. The picture is terrible but I am pleased with the flesh. I washed around the metal protrusions with red ink. I think it's brought the inflamed look out nicely.

25200327538_56e489a338_z.jpg20171214_225036 by Dev Freeman, on Flickr

My Hellhound, took him out as a Talarn devil-dog variant last week against some CSM and he absolutely bossed them. d3+1 Melta on a 4+ with such maneuvrability is deadly!

24205958957_16b965d9a5_z.jpgHellhound by Dev Freeman, on Flickr

25200327898_b4948af40e_z.jpgHellhound by Dev Freeman, on Flickr

24205959407_0532a876a9_z.jpg20171214_223426 by Dev Freeman, on Flickr

I love WarhammerWorld. I'm very lucky in that is actually my closest GW shop! It's always fun...and expensive.

Mate, know that pleasure - I moved to Nottingham with work just over a year ago, and was delighted to discover that WW was only seven minutes drive away. My Mrs is still convinced that it was a set up...

Hey, If you ever fancy a game on the weekend let me know. I'm always looking for a match-up.

I love your conversion work on your Parted Son chapter as well!

Hey, If you ever fancy a game on the weekend let me know. I'm always looking for a match-up.

I'll take you up on that offer! Maybe early next year, once the madness of December has passed? And thanks! The Parted Sons are a (continual) labour of love. 

Very nice camo, suits the infantry and isn't overstated which works for the colours. You can never have too many tanks :wink:

Thanks Warriorfish, I agree about the Tanks. I need to play an Apocalypse game. I would love to see them all on the field at once!

I wanted to keep the army as functional looking as possible. The camo is as understated as possible so they could be frozen tundra or war-torn city. 

That and I hate painting camo!

I'll take you up on that offer! Maybe early next year, once the madness of December has passed? And thanks! The Parted Sons are a (continual) labour of love. 

Are you on Bugmans Bandits? If so drop me a PM and we can book something in. I'd quite like to run an apocalypse in Feb if I can get the players together.

Are you on Bugmans Bandits? If so drop me a PM and we can book something in. I'd quite like to run an apocalypse in Feb if I can get the players together.

I am actually, though only just recently joined (as only just recently discovered). And I'm interested in an Apoc game. 

I am actually, though only just recently joined (as only just recently discovered). And I'm interested in an Apoc game. 

Me too, first match up tonight at WW. It's a really friendly group. No problem at all getting a game. IMy FB id is Devlyn Freeman btw,  I usually get a pass from the missus for a game a month!

Battle report 1: The Karravian incident.

Personal log of Inquisitor, first order, Tomás de Torquemada. 999.M41

A disturbing occurrence, one that I had feared and I believe why my order has directed me to this hated place beyond our primary objective of recovering the artifact.  Primaris, acting under the jurisdiction of Supreme commander 'GirlyMan the poorly sculpted' have attempted to violate my authority. They do not know what is here and what must happen, I told them not to interfere with my activities. All attempts to communicate failed, they attacked our rear, just as we engaged with the hated Daemons. What did they think would happen? I will not be stopped. The secrets I hold are my own and my word is the voice of God. The artifact shall leave with me, the priests have driven the men into a mighty rage over this betrayal to the Imperium, they shall fight with great ferocity. Girlyman has shown his hand, how could he have forgotten, he who wrote the codex would do well to remember what happens to those who turn away from the Emperor's authority! 

25269608438_186d965014_z.jpg20171216_083140 by Dev Freeman, on Flickr

This was a great battle that I played Friday night against a couple of guys from the Bugmans bandits forum. It was a 2 vs 1; 1k pts of Deathguard and 1k pts of Ultramarine Primaris against my 2kpts of Guard.

Set up was me in the middle and opposing armies approaching from there own short edge. Mission was to discover a cache and be in ownership of it on turn 5. We had a twist of +1 attack.

Unfortunately, the game was so good I didn't take any pics until well into it and those I did are fairly poor quality. I hope you enjoy it anyway.

Turn 1

We deploy in the centre of this accursed industrial complex, Our Auspex has identified the artifact as being here. We must not allow it to fall into the traitors hands. Movement is limited for our armour so we shall not move. Let the Hammer strike the anvil and its metal be tested. Commander Mycel's Plasmacutioner 'Furiosa' takes the center of the terrain with orders to control the engagement by its ancient fury. The Punisher and Devil dog sitting to its east, ready to slay the heretic and their champions as they approach marching rapidly towards us with their daemonic cacophony. One Chimera, loaded with the Emperor's finest sits in the open on the west, ready to respond to either threat and another sits on the west so that the loading bay can be defended. I, Torquemada and my band of sinners observe from within the sanctum of our holy Sororitus Rhino, ready to charge into the face of the enemy. 30 of our finest stormtroopers are incoming, already falling from the heavens like Plasma spitting angels of death. Finally, fearfully, my Penitents rattle the chains holding them to us, they know that carnage for their blades and sinners for their flames are pletiful today. They shall strike the traitorous Primaris, for I am merciful, I shall let them know what penitence is before we cast them down.

38253858225_f1b002800b_z.jpg20171215_195011 by Dev Freeman, on Flickr

It is time, the Primaris approach from the North, the Deathguard from the south. 3 squads of intercessors, Hellblasters, Aggressors and Inceptors enter the field, led by their Captain and Librarian they have no heavy weapons, they will suffer for their foolishness this day. The death guard come wailing, A great wall of pox-laden walkers, a bloat drone and Herald come on our west flank A foul champion of Nurgle and his traitor guard come down the centre and finally a crazed Hellbrute comes racing down the East. Roaring as loud as the scream from his infernal Melta cannon. we see not their Lords and Sorcerers yet.

I order the men to move, our portents correct on the disposition of the enemy and their approach. Their commanders can barely keep them in check, such is the rage our Ministorum has placed within them, but I know, these Cadian's, the Ice Bears, will not disappoint.

To my west, a Chimera and its team fly up the flank towards the loading bay ready to take the area from the Primaris Intercessors, as they do they spot a Cache and are disgusted to see it crawling with Nurgles filth. They empty out and unleash Lasguns volleys with they Chimera doing the same killing the foul little Ikons by the dozen. They faithfully attach  Bayonets and charge, skewering  what remains. The Punisher turns and drives around crate wall, spitting wrath into the poxwalkers and leaving few standing. The Devildog follows, unleashing hell into the Bloat drone which shrugs it off with its disgusting resilience. To the east, the other Chimera fearlessly moves to intercept the Deathguard and Hellbrute.

38253859755_458c662bcd_z.jpg20171215_194948 by Dev Freeman, on Flickr

Just as I order the Rhino to move forward the Primaris rock us with everything they have, blast, Plasma and shell, hammers into the front of the Rhinos Sacred armour, It holds, thanks be to the Emperor. They know who I am, they know what they do. I shall show them our mercy. We lurch forward into their ranks. I unleash the Penitent engines and they scream forward taking volley after volley into their groaning bodies before incinerating several Intercessors on their flank, they charge, shrieking their redemption, they crash into the unit and their work is short and bloody. None survive.

38253861055_0fdd4d03e3_z.jpg20171215_204828 by Dev Freeman, on Flickr

I, my loyal acolytes, the two crusaders and our priest move to attack. I order the arco-flagellants unleashed and we all charge the Intercessors.They are torn asunder in moments, just long enough for their Captain to reach us who strikes down my Crusaders and strikes me a mighty blow from which I cannot rise. My loyal acolytes drag me from the fray into cover as I scream through frothing blood for the Scion squads to drop in and give them hell. The last thing I see as I blackout is the Plasmacutioner incinerating their HellBlasters, it is beautiful, like a miniature sun going Nova, nothing remains but devastation. I see the grav- shutes and boots of our Commandos coming down as I pass out.

The twenty scions land in the open on the west flank of the Primaris, the third squad behind the remaining Poxwalkers and next to the foul Drone. The 1st squad and 2nd squad, ordered to take aim by their Officer unleash a deadly salvo, first slaughtering the Intercessors on the west and then focussing their fire on the librarian, he fairs no better, his Power armour shattered and melted as he falls. 

39136187091_1631b280f9_z.jpg20171215_195020 by Dev Freeman, on Flickr

Turn two.

The vox crackled into life across all Platoon Commander's comms. "This is Tank Commander Marcel of the Leman Russ Furiosa. Inquisitor Torqemada is down. I am assuming command, Continue to engage, Keep your faith and kill all before you".

"You hear him Men" yelled Platon commander Syrus, "take aim and kill the scum. Here they come!" The Death guard and champion charge, bolters blazing.

38253860605_d434f8707d_z.jpg20171215_194924 by Dev Freeman, on Flickr

The unit dive for cover but 3 still die, bodies exploding with gore and filth as the bolts hit true. The HellBrute unleashes his Melta and destroys the rear hull of the Chimera. They charge, bounding forward with unexpected vitality and crash into us. The Hellbrute tears the track from the Chimera and the champion rams his powered fist straight through it side into the engine just as the Deathguard crash into the men. But the Icebear cares not for death and fears nothing. Commander Syrus, knowing their position was lost, calls in an airstrike on his position. Ironic it was this that probably saved his life, just as he dived for cover from the incoming blast the Chimera exploded, It's loyal machine spirit just as determined as him to take the hated enemy with it. One mighty explosion followed the next, as he stands, head swimming and ears ringing he sees nothing but the Chaos Champion and the Hellbrute staggering and wounded themselves, all others blasted to red mist and raining chunks. Shouting a prayer to the emperor the pounces upon the champion and drives his blessed Chainsword straight through his chest.

38254042155_44581fe277_z.jpg20171215_204819 by Dev Freeman, on Flickr

He recalled later, at his promotional ceremony, that his only thought at the time that he may have been more surprised at the encounter than the heretic was. Still, he had little time to consider as the 3rd explosion in as many moments knocked him off his feet again as the Commander Mycel's Plasmacutioner 'furiosa' obliterated the Hellbrute. The flank stood, "With Big guns and Dead men' The inquisitor always said. Today Syrus truly understood what he meant. 

In the North East, the Punisher finishes off the last of the Poxwalkers and the Herald as it foolishly charges, 'For Cadia' comes the cry, audible above the whine of the Cannon as it eviscerates the last of them. In reply the Drone strikes the 3rd Scion squad, 6 of them fall screaming under its noxious outburst, the flesh melting from them in bubbling green rivulets. The rest of them men dishonor themselves and flee. Their own execution shall have to wait. They shall wish their death was as kind as their comrades when the time comes.

38253859005_2d14fa7773_z.jpg20171215_195002 by Dev Freeman, on Flickr

In the south, the enemy fares no better. Reavers and the Lord of Contagion drop in at the same time as our infantry and their chimera charge up on the loading platform. The Lord of Contagion charges the Scions who make him pay but cannot stop him reaching his target. Many men fall beneath his foul Scythe but the men hold.

38254041605_066391c700_z.jpg20171215_213853 by Dev Freeman, on Flickr

The 2nd unit of scions and the Infantry unleash hell upon the Rievers and slay them to a man. In the centre and East of the Southern flank, The Primaris continue to fall.

The Acolytes return to the fray their Storm bolters blasting another Inceptor from the air just as the 3rd one finds the artifact. The Primaris know their victory is fleeting though. There will be no escape from Judgement today. The Priest engages the captain, trading blows and wounding him as his sacred Rosarious protects him again and again. The Arco flagellants hurl themselves into the aggressors in a blinding tornado of rage. The make a mockery of Cawl's artifice as they smash his Gravis armour asunder with nothing more than righteous hatred.

On the west flank, a Penitent engine is brought low by Intercessor fire just as it's sister sinner smashes into them. Again, it rips them limb from limb with delightful carnage, shrieking its atonement as limbs and the jagged sound of its holy buzzsaws grinding through Ceramite and bone fill the air.

Round 3

With few enemies now in Sight and the Artifact now in play Tank Commander Mycel re-focuses his commands to consolidating their position. He orders the centre squad to move double time to recover the artifact and they surge forward to the now clear platform. The men  rapidly climb up the structure, their shouts over the vox confirm that the artifact is theirs. The Death guard is no longer a danger, with their final act, a filthy sorcerer appears from nowhere and strikes down the last Penitent engine with his unholy magics. The drone has fled south from the Punisher and Devildog, it's devilish hide protecting it from flame and bullet. In the southwest the honorable Scions have fallen back, the Lord of contagion stood foolishly, waiting for his firing squad to purify his unholy body with Plasma. He grins, swiveling his turret just as he sees the priest and his crazed arco-flagellants finally fall beneath the Primaris commander's blade, "A clear shot" he whispers. Praise be the Emperor for today's good fortune.

And that is where we left it, 3 rounds of pretty serious brutality. To be honest the Guard came out well holding just about every section of the field and while not completely tabling either force attriting them to the point where we declared it. A really good game. I appreciate that this is not a 'normal' battle report. I found I couldn't actually write a 'normal' one so ended up going with what I wanted to do and just deliver it all in an (admittedly amateurish) story. 

I hope you enjoyed it too.