Best Tactical squad builds

Karhedron

I feel like double Vanguard could be a bit difficult considering that it's minimum 6 Elite units and Elite units being among our most expensive ones.

True, but that's where many of the real toys are too. It seems to me right now anyhow.

But a solid point for sure when considering troops like tactical squads - they are affordable... ish.

Does this extra possible quantity have a quality of its own? In cp hungry forces yeah maybe so.

However, Sternguard for instance are more offensively capable, but play similiarly to Tacticals with a higher cost.

But if I am buffing / protecting a line unit as a possible strategy I would appreciate it being more capable myself for that slightly higher cost.

Are tacticals effective enough to warrant their use to get a few command points for other flashy gambits while they do their thing? Prolly.

Would it be more effective to get better elite line units that perhaps lead to needing a less cp hungry force and win in that fashion instead? Perhaps...

I played a rhino/razor WW list and had mephiston and a 5 man squad with storm bolter and heavy flamer in a rhino. He slapped the big stuff they mulched soft stuff, against the 4+ save tryouts a heavy flamer is very effective, then if they charge you, they get it a second time.

I feel like double Vanguard could be a bit difficult considering that it's minimum 6 Elite units and Elite units being among our most expensive ones.

It depends. If you are running SG and Terminators then definitely but some people enjoy running MSU Death Company and that opens up possibilities. Then you have the option of Ancients, Sanguinary Novitiates and Command Squads, all of which can be had for <100 points. I think dual Batt + 2xVanguard could be effective if you want those characters anyway.