Anyone thought of buying a Space Wolf HQ?

SnakeChisler

Anyone thought of getting a Space Wolf character just so you can use the new stratagem?

If so who would you get?

The requirement for me would be something worth painting and using as a bit of fun in casual games :)

I'm thinking thunderwolf

DA Lt in speeder "hey Olaf you smell awefull do you want to borrow some incense those dogs stink"

Olaf "grrrrrr"

The stratagem works only on infantry character, so no thunderwolfs or sleds of any kind ;)

I bought the space wolf guy from burning of prospero. It's a great model. Got one before and converted it to be my alpha legion chaos lord.

The new one will get a thunder hammer, combi melta and a jump pack to go on the hunt and be an exact copy of a dark angels master in terms of wargear.

I used those two in a game already and in my opinion it is one of our best stratagems for competitive game.

Gonna check out the index when get home and see what SW have going for them unit wise, I reckon a patrol detachment with Ulrick, some grey hunters with double melta/plasma/flamer and chainswords, and perhaps something else wolfie might be pretty cool. As a bonus, Ulrick would be able to heal himself if he got wounded.

It would depend on the story I'm playing, is it more Wolf focused, in which case I'd have a much larger Wolf cadre, or more DA focused, in which case it would be smaller, but usually if it is just a random world invasion, it'd probably be a pretty even mix, like a Wolf Lord + Wolf Priest along with a Company Master and his cadre.

Just something to bear in mind, Rune Priests hit on 2+ and can get a 5+ invuln in power armour. Sadly they still only know one power from the Tempestas discipline.

In Terminator armour, they get a 4++ instead of regular 5++. the chief rune Priests Njal isn't much to boast but he can cast 2 powers, and gets a bonus to casting Tempestas. Plus he has a crow to peck people's eyes out... lol, hasn't killed anyone else for me yet. Also the model is easily the coolest in the SW terminator range

Ally with the Wolves?

Preposterous.

I recommend you all see your local Interrogator Chaplain for remediation.

Um, even the latest Codex shows that while tensions between the Unforgiven and the Wolves is high, they still fight alongside each other however begrudgingly. It's not like they refuse to take the same battlefield, and tensions are not hate. There may be some in both groups that would refuse given their own way, but it doesn't happen each and every time.

Ally with the Wolves?

Preposterous.

I recommend you all see your local Interrogator Chaplain for remediation.

Um, even the latest Codex shows that while tensions between the Unforgiven and the Wolves is high, they still fight alongside each other however begrudgingly. It's not like they refuse to take the same battlefield, and tensions are not hate. There may be some in both groups that would refuse given their own way, but it doesn't happen each and every time.

Agreed. In the latest Ragnar Blackmane by ADB, Wolf Lord Ragnar and a Company Master make a conscious effort to prosecute wars together even while dealing with their chapter prejudices. Though to be fair, most of the bad blood in the novel was Ragnar's fault, which he finally corrected in a fair and square duel with the Company Master. Both sides were revitalized with higher morale after that and the two chapter leaders finally settled their hearts at ease to continue fighting the 13th Black Crusade.

I also have Orks, so I got the Sanctus Reach campaign starter set, which along with various Ork units contains a Space Wolf character in power armor, 10 Grey Hunters, and 5 Wolf Guard terminators. I could use those, but a friend of mine has Space Wolves, so we plan to team up and whoop on somebody.

Edited by shabbadoo

Posted · Hidden by Chaplain Lucifer, December 20, 2017 - Duh. The thread is about what to take because of the stratagem.
Hidden by Chaplain Lucifer, December 20, 2017 - Duh. The thread is about what to take because of the stratagem.
And they gave us a stratagem for it.

I think the best use of this strat from the DA side at least is on a Librarian. The strat gives +1 to WS, Str, Attacks and Ld. A Librarian with a Force Axe. Has 4 attacks, hitting on 2s with strength 6, d3 damage and -2 rend. He also goes up to Ld 10 for a critical edge to Mind Wipe. He also has the Deathwing Keyword so benefits from the Deathwing Ancient for an additional Attack.

I would run him in Terminator Armour so he can drop down in a trio with an Int-Chap, a Deathwing Ancient and the Eye of the Unseen. The Master of Maneouvre Warlord Trait would help. With a following wind they will be able to kill or significantly weaken any super heavy or Primarch.

I think the best use of this strat from the DA side at least is on a Librarian. The strat gives +1 to WS, Str, Attacks and Ld. A Librarian with a Force Axe. Has 4 attacks, hitting on 2s with strength 6, d3 damage and -2 rend. He also goes up to Ld 10 for a critical edge to Mind Wipe. He also has the Deathwing Keyword so benefits from the Deathwing Ancient for an additional Attack.

I would run him in Terminator Armour so he can drop down in a trio with an Int-Chap, a Deathwing Ancient and the Eye of the Unseen. The Master of Maneouvre Warlord Trait would help. With a following wind they will be able to kill or significantly weaken any super heavy or Primarch.

Ditto for the Space Wolves HQ, except with Rune Priest TDA armour and Jaws of the World Wolf.

For the fluffy lovers here there is an opportunity for this ....

The Dark Angel character and Space Wolf character in Cassius's Deathwatch Kill Team became friends from serving together in that august organization. There were short stories created for each character of that team as well. Fast forward about a year and Black Library comes out with the audio drama Vox Tenebris. In Vox Tenebris both of those DW kill team bros encounter each other years later in the battle at Morkai's Keep on Fenris, both chapters are now working together to fight the Tzeench daemon incursion. The Dark Angel character is now a Deathwing sergeant, and the Space Wolf character is now a veteran Longfang sergeant. They both run into each other and have to pair up and fight together to make it out of the Keep.

So ... 

I picked up Cassius's Kill Team Box, and a Space Wolf pack box. So I have the Space Wolf character as a sergeant for a 10 man assault geared Grey Hunter pack. I have the Dark Angel model as my Company Vets sergeant and he leads 5 vets. Both squads fight together in my DA army. Now this was before I found out we were getting access to Stormravens, so I picked up a Thunderwolf gunship and both squads ride in the Stormwulf which gives my army an armed flyer transport. Yeah I know it breaks the rules but hey, its a chainsword/bolt pistol tactical squad essentially and a 6 man DA vet squad geared the same. I'm not gaming it for power reasons lol, its all fluff. I plan to run that strategem between the two sometimes.

Stormwolf Gunship I meant.