FAQ Thread

Crimson Ghost IX

The blood angels forlorn fury stratagem says at the start of the battle round you can move and advance "as if it were your movement phase."

If you advance, would that mean it counts as you advanced in your turn 1 movement phase and thus cant first turn charge?

Also, if a death company unit starts the game in a transport, can you use forlorn fury to disembark then move? The rule for disembark says if a unit starts the movement phase inside a transport it can disembark before the transport moves and then act normally, and the forlorn fury stratagem says to act as if it is your movement phase.

So, if you advance with the stratagem can you then charge during your actual turn? And can you activate the stratagem on a death co inside a transport to disembark it then move?

Its a normal move so you can do anything that you could do in a normal movement phase, although If you want to disembark before turn 1, just don't deploy them in the transport?

It happens before their turn, so the models did not advance in the preceding movement phase and can charge.

The blood angels forlorn fury stratagem says at the start of the battle round you can move and advance "as if it were your movement phase."

If you advance, would that mean it counts as you advanced in your turn 1 movement phase and thus cant first turn charge?

Also, if a death company unit starts the game in a transport, can you use forlorn fury to disembark then move? The rule for disembark says if a unit starts the movement phase inside a transport it can disembark before the transport moves and then act normally, and the forlorn fury stratagem says to act as if it is your movement phase.

So, if you advance with the stratagem can you then charge during your actual turn? And can you activate the stratagem on a death co inside a transport to disembark it then move?

No it doesn't mean that. It just refers to the movement and advance rules so they don't have to write a redundant paragraph of rules just for that stratagem into our Codex.

I don't think it allows you to disembark since it only refers to moving and advancing not to disembarking or embarking, but I'm not entirely sure on this one to be fair.

Side note:

Have you used Libby Dreads yet?

Why do you think need a boost?

I used him in a small RTT, i have played 4 games with Meph and 5 with the libby Dread. It just kills anything it charges that has multi wounds and being a t7 character makes him difficult to counter. Pop a few strats and he will take out a baneblade with less than avg rolls. Meph is also solid having a small base size he can jump over stuff, but str10 -4 ap and dmg 4 is just so reliable. 

Pop a few strats and he will take out a baneblade with less than avg rolls. 

Which is basically the purpose of Stratagems tho? Granting a boost for a cost temporarily is their whole thing (with few exceptions where they grant a permanent boost).

My biggest issue with the codex is that Mephiston can only do 2 powers now. In the index he could do 3 and similar characters like Ahriman also do 3. Being arguably the most powerful psyker on the imperium I'd think he should be able to do 3 a turn.

Would you be happy with a 15-20 point increase for the ability to do so? 

Personally,  id rather have him costed as is and only cast 2 powers.  

I would rather that because as it is it seems like you have to waste one every turn to move as with wings then you only have one to give him an extra attack and you can't smite as well like you could previously.

My biggest issue with the codex is that Mephiston can only do 2 powers now. In the index he could do 3 and similar characters like Ahriman also do 3. Being arguably the most powerful psyker on the imperium I'd think he should be able to do 3 a turn.

No... he always was cast 2 deny 2

He was 3 in the index and in the 5th ed codex which is the last time I was playing 40k

I would rather that because as it is it seems like you have to waste one every turn to move as with wings then you only have one to give him an extra attack and you can't smite as well like you could previously.

He was 3 in the index and in the 5th ed codex which is the last time I was playing 40k

In the index he is cast 2, deny 2, know smite+3

In the index he is cast 2, deny 2, know smite+3

My mistake I only had the 5th ed codex to hand and seemed to remember it being the same in the index, he was a beast back then

Side note:

Have you used Libby Dreads yet?

Why do you think need a boost?

I used him in a small RTT, i have played 4 games with Meph and 5 with the libby Dread. It just kills anything it charges that has multi wounds and being a t7 character makes him difficult to counter. Pop a few strats and he will take out a baneblade with less than avg rolls. Meph is also solid having a small base size he can jump over stuff, but str10 -4 ap and dmg 4 is just so reliable. 

I'm not seeing the issue here :whistling: :wink:

I think you're falling into Tyranid player syndrome a little. Just because we have a good unit now doesn't mean it is broken, or should be nerfed, but that we have the same things as all the other codexes.

Until Libdread spam armies start winning all the tournaments, they're fine as they are.

Edited by Xenith

The Lucifer-Pattern Engine says "Do not roll a dice" at the end but that a Baal Pred advances D6+6... beyond that when you are determining the D6+6 do you roll 2D6 and pick the highest? (From Baal Predator data sheet: "Overcharged Engines: When this model advances roll 2 dice and pick the highest result)

Very awkwardly worded strategem. I fully expect it counts as advancing as well even though going by strict RAW it's not an advance.

This question just came up; not sure if it was answered in the Codex: Space Marines FAQ or not, but do Aggressors get to fire twice if they stood still when using the stratagem Auspex Scan? If the turn player deep strikes and you use the signum link stratagem during the opponent's turn? Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

Another thing we could ask is whether the free DC move stratagem includes embarking/disembarking as well.

I'd say no but imo it's unclear enough to warrant a FAQ entry.

Weird. I played it exactly that way earlier this evening.

It says they can move as if in the movement phase, no? Disembarking happens in the movement phase, yeah?

Another thing we could ask is whether the free DC move stratagem includes embarking/disembarking as well.

I'd say no but imo it's unclear enough to warrant a FAQ entry.

Weird. I played it exactly that way earlier this evening.

It says they can move as if in the movement phase, no? Disembarking happens in the movement phase, yeah?

I know you did, hence why I decided to bring it up. :P

Exactly, it says you can move and advance like in the movement phase. It doesn't say you can embark/disembark like in the movement phase. Those are different things.

Hrm. I'll have to go back and parse the language when I have the books in front of me.

On the one hand, Disembarking happens in the movement phase, and it is part of movement.

But I get where you are arguing from.  Essentially, I think what you are saying is that there are 2 different definitions of movement in 40k

movement (lowercase "m"): any change in position from a model during the movement (or other) phases of the game.

Movement (uppercase "m"): the act of moving your model a distance by any amount up to the value listed in their data sheet.

Ergo, for example, a model that charges has moved but not Moved. (rather, it has charged) Similarly, a model can Move (and advance) as if Moving in the movement phase, using Forlorn Fury, but that doesn't entitle it to other forms of movement.

Edited by 9x19 Parabellum

I know this was written for the epic fluff, but Death Visions is used "when mustering your army." Well when does mustering end? Are you still mustering during deployment? Because if so then you can use the stratagem after you deploy your character carrying the Veritas Vitae.

Now the VV bearer is "on the battlefield" so you can roll your 5+ to try and refund the CP you spent on Death Visions.