New model question

Chaplain Adonael

Hello fellow unforgiven,

I am loving the codex but I still need to get some units if I want to try full Ravenwing. I was wondering what version of Sammael do you guys run? I think it would be awesome to have Sammael in Sableclaw alongside a Talonmaster. Also should I go all Black Knights or mix both version of bike squads?

I prefer Sammael in Corvex for thematic reasons, but both are very good options.

As for black knights and regular bikers. I'm still unsure how I feel about them. Regular bikers are cheaper and have more shooting, but black knights have strong shooting, and can advance and shoot so they're more mobile. And they're decent in combat. My problem with them is I think they're too expensive. You're paying 19 more points for a model that dies just as easily as normal bikes.

Maybe if they had a "skilled rider" rule or something that gave them -1 to hit or +1 to jink.

Then again that might make them too strong...

Edited by ShadowCore67

Black Knights are the single strongest unit in the codex. With the stratagem they can advance, shoot and charge, and when properly buffed a large unit will be deadly and difficult to hurt.

Grim Resolve has taken away the need for DA backfield units to be buffed but the frontline units still need buffing to be effective. As a minimum Black Knights should be accompanied by Sammael for rerolls but a Dark Shroud for a -1 to hit, a Talon Master for rerolls to wound, an Ancient for an extra Attack and a librarian would not be unwelcome.

Normal bikes don’t make as much of a use of the buffs as Black Knights and unless you use the stratagem, you have to choose between shooting and durability. That said I am going to be trying a small bike squad with 2 flamers and a combi flamer which can advance and still shoot although they will end up being a bit of a suicide squad no doubt.

As a minimum Black Knights should be accompanied by Sammael for rerolls but a Dark Shroud for a -1 to hit, a Talon Master for rerolls to wound, an Ancient for an extra Attack and a librarian would not be unwelcome.

What about an apothecary insetad of the ancient ? On paper, it seems pretty effective in a RW setup where all models enjoy at least 2 wounds.

I am sure it wouldn’t hurt but I think I would take the Ancient over the Apothecary and that whole collection of units is already pretty pricey to be adding more characters to it.

since the CC of RWBK isn't great, adding more 'not great' to it is just meh. I'd rather have the apothecary, who can advance 20", get Jink, still shoot, and heal a model up again (any model). It's the best apothecary in the game.

Yea. Libby does not replace Sammy and talon master lol. That’s a crazy statement. But yea Sammy and talonmaster is almost 400 points. And that’s where ravenwing will fail like all ther elite armies these days in the competitive meta.

depends what you mean by viable. Will you play it and win some games at your friends house or at FLGS? Yes. Willl you win a competitive event? No.

You can make a competative enough list just running a Dark Angels army, if you place well you still need to be a good general and play to the missions.

A lot of this is personal to the individual, entering competitions and wanting to place well involves a considerable amount of dedication and investment in the hobby on many levels.