LRMBT- Sponsons

SickSix

So I don't have the new IG codex, but just acquired 3 LRMBT proxie models. I already have some infantry models. I plan to make an allied contingent for one or all of my power armor forces.

Anyhow...

Are Sponsons on Leman Russ tanks really necessary? The models I have (IMHO) look better without them. And I would rather save points for the Space Marines. As I said the Tanks would only ever be a secondary attachment to a Marine force.

I will magnetise my main turret guns and hull mounted weapons but would rather leave off the sponsons.

Thoughts?

Depends, really. For some tanks the sponsons really help, like Punishers/Conquerors, who welcome the extra dakka from heavy bolters. Since these tanks work on the front lines, they get assaulted more often and can use Man the Guns for improved overwarch, so the extra 6 shots definitely help (Mordians in particular are nasty with this).

For tank commanders who are BS3+ and can reroll 1s, the plasma sponsons are also very attractive.

All that being said, they are not super necessary as the main impact is from the turret, and I’ve gotten good mileage out of a battlecannon/lascannon tank sitting in cover at 48” just blasting away. You’re not losing much by not including them.

I think it depends on the style of the army and what weapons you choose. Most will agree that anything other than HBs should be kept for Tank Commanders, but a trio of HBs is only 4 more points than a full Lascannon, so it's not much of an investment for more dakka. If you're running a combined arms list with a lot of units you probably won't really miss those shots. but if you're playing an Mech/Armored or elite style list with a lot fewer units you are going to want to maximize dakka for points, making those sponson HBs a nice choice

I tend to run my tanks as commanders and I generally utilize them as stationary turrets. In an ideal situation you get to set them up in a place with good lines of fire and don't have to ever move. Granted, that rarely happens, but if you can make it happen it's good to do so. I have almost always run them with the heavy bolter sponsons, and the storm bolter if I have the points for it.

The storm bolter is just really efficient as even if it kills only a single guardsman it has made back twice it's points. Killing a plague marine with one is cause for celebration.