list building: codex vs index

bushman101

hey

When new editions/codex roll out, something I do is take some of my favorite lists from the previous codex and compare the new point cost.

When I tried it this time around, I found my lists tended to be 20-ish points more expensive despite some of the point drops (Lists I compared were 2000 pts from the index, main culprits were the Razorback and Stormraven) 

How has the point re-adjustments affected your current lists? Did it matter considering our strategems and chapter tactic?

Have you gravitated away from certain things due to something else being cheaper?

I completely revamped my list  on account of the different synergies - so, cant add much more to the original question tan that! ><;

I wish rhinos were about 20 points cheaper, and Pods were about 40 points cheaper.  I feel this would make non-gully lists viable.  But thats another story.  Long story short is, with the new CT and new strats, i'm playing very differently.  

Less the points changes and more the edition changes have revamped my list building.

At the end of 7th my lists were a mix of:

• 3-7 Pods with Meltacide/ Flamer Tacs/ Variety of Dreads
  • Grav bikes
  • Storm Raven
  • MSU DC Squads
  • Lascannon Predator
  • Vindicators

Now going into 8th...

• Pods are (mostly) out due to cost, jump packs are in.
  • Bikes are in a weird place being good but not what they were - Grav took an understandable nerf and doesn't have any particular advantages.
  • MSU DC are now a blob to help with Morale and utilise stratagems
  • The Classic Lascannon Predator remains, rolling 1s & 2s to hit with the best of 'em ;)

So a little less Alpha, similarly mobile and a bit more blobby.

I've actually been playing Thousand Sons since the start of 8th instead of Blood Angels (there is a good reason, I didn't just abandon the IX Legion).  So I didn't really carry over any of my older lists, but I do feel like I have more toys to play with in a 2000 point list than I used to.  The codex has changed my approach to list building and playing the army though.  I used to play a very mobile army, but since I'm going with more Primaris units now I notice I'm playing more of a gunline type army with a few hard-hitting mobile units.

My lists went up. Stormraven preds and razors. To be honest my list building has changed with the codex drop. I somehow feel less observant of my old habit to stick to pure blood angels. With my vehicles feeling very pricey for their output I am turning to guard for board coverage infantry suport and command points.