Sell me on Blood Talons

Quixus

Are blood talons really that bad compared to a pair of Furioso Fists? Both can reroll misses, both do three damage, but the blood talons have two less strength and  one less AP, yet they are three meltabombs more expensive.

Am I missing some cool rule like the extra attacks in 5th edition, or did GW :censored: this up?

Against infantry, rerolling 1s to wound is probably not worth the extra 15 points. Against T7-9 targets, rerolling 1s and 2s looks slightly more useful although again, whether it is worth the 15-point premium is debatable.

I think that in general, the loss of AP offsets the benefit of rerolling to wound meaning I think their 15 point premium is not worth it.

Ah I missed the "and to wound" part. I'm still not sure that the reroll is worth 15 pts and the loss of wounding T6 on a 2+ and the AP.

Against anything T9 or below you're still wounding on a 2+ because of Red Thirst, and the reroll means you'll be getting more wounds against those Toughness levels than with the Fists.  As sfPanzer said though, it will depend on what you want to hit with him.

Edited by Orblivion

With red thirst you wound T9 and less on 2+ what you gain with reroll to one you lose with ap2 vs ap3.

Only better vs unit with invulnerable saves.

D'oh, your quite right. That's teach me to type before I think properly. :wink:

Even less case for Blood Talons then. save the points and go Fists all the way.

Still fail on natural 1s though.

When wounding on 2s, you are successful ~83% of the time. Rerolls kick that to an astonishing 97%. The reduction in AP means it is 16.6% more likely to fail to penetrate armor. So in that regard it’s basically a wash. 14% more likely to wound, 17% less likely to get through armor.

However against anything with higher toughness and/or an invulnerable save, the Talons are much better.