Ravenwing Attack Bike Detatchment

Angel of Solitude

In a dual-wing list, it's pretty difficult to put together a battalion detachment (and the +3CP that comes with it) due to not being able to get enough troop units. The only real option is to combine Outrider (Ravenwing) and Vanguard (Deathwing) detachments.

On this track, I've been looking at low-cost detachments, and the lowest I can come up with his:

Techmarine

Ravenwing Attack Bike x1

Ravenwing Attack Bike x1

Ravenwing Attack Bike x1

Depending on wargear options, that's a whole +1CP for just over 200 points. However, is it a worthwhile spend of points, or is the extra CP not worth the trade off?

Adding a few multi-meltas would turn the list into a nice vehicle-busting/monster hunting unit.

Thoughts?

If you are super set on only RW and DW then I guess it is ok.  I'd honestly rather take 3 scout squads in a battalion, I feel that they really are necessary for marines right now otherwise your pricey stuff just gets murdered by deepstrike.  They also clear space for your DW to come down.

If you were taking 3 detachments (Vanguard, outrider, Outrider) you could easily do 2 detachments  Battalion + Outrider  with the same 3 HQ choices unless you need >8 elite slots as well/ needed >9 Fast attacks.  It would net you a total of 7 Cp vs 6 if you mix vanguard + 2 outrider.  Still not a ton, but unless you are going way less focused on DW + RW that is the best you can get, or you need 4 HQs to get 8 CP.

In a dual-wing list, it's pretty difficult to put together a battalion detachment (and the +3CP that comes with it) due to not being able to get enough troop units. The only real option is to combine Outrider (Ravenwing) and Vanguard (Deathwing) detachments.

On this track, I've been looking at low-cost detachments, and the lowest I can come up with his:

Techmarine

Ravenwing Attack Bike x1

Ravenwing Attack Bike x1

Ravenwing Attack Bike x1

Depending on wargear options, that's a whole +1CP for just over 200 points. However, is it a worthwhile spend of points, or is the extra CP not worth the trade off?

Adding a few multi-meltas would turn the list into a nice vehicle-busting/monster hunting unit.

Thoughts?

As others stated, you're better of with a battallion fielding 15 scouts and two HQ's. Instead of the tech marines though, I might get lieutenants or a talonmaster or whatever, to make sure you get something the army can use (bikes and termies gain zero benefit from a techmarine) Lieutenants are only slightly more expensive, especially with just bolt pistol and chainsword (60 pts). 3 units of scouts plus two of those is 285 pts for 3 CP. 80'ish more points for two additional CP. The way 8th is constructed for battleforged play. elite armies don't get all that many command points. It's a shame RW+DW isn't more natural and rewarding than it is in the codex, though it's not an issue for me personally...

Plus there's the whole logistics. Painting 30 odd guys and having to also get and transport a second codex, and more rules to memorize.

Plus having our ubermensch fighting alongside puny humans. :wink:

And so you are doing that with a Space Wolves detachment, right? :D