Successors and the Fallen

Ashen Sabre

So according to DA lore, only the Supreme Grand Master(Azrael) knows of Luther, but how much do the Inner Circles of the successors know? Are the 1st companies of the Angels of Absolution and Angels of Vengeance kept up to date with the Deathwing in terms of knowledge? And where might they store the Fallen they capture, would they send them to The Rock or on their barges with their Interrogator Chaplains?

POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

ill have to check when I get home but I seem to remember something like that happenning at the end of one of the novels in the unforgiven. They had a fallen in tow and i thought it was a successor chapter helping them out so they killed the soldiers.  I could be way off my rocker though.  i'll have to see if I can find it

Only Azrael knows about Luthor and the Lion, but the 1st and 2nd Companies of the Successors all know about the Fallen and the capture and internment of their members. I don't have my Codex handy, but there and many examples of successor chapters launching independent operations to capture Fallen and bring them to the Rock. There is a lgened that the Disciples of Caliban were secretly founded as a chapter solely to hunt down Cypher.

Personally I think it would be unlikely that the DA would kill Successor Astartes over knowledge of the Fallen. They would likely leave their fate to the Inner Circle of their chapter, who could deal with them. The Successors have their own rites and rituals that determine how their members and inducted to the Death wing (or not).

Edited by Syphid

Only Azrael knows about Author and the Lion, but the 1st and 2nd Companies of the Successors all know about the Fallen and the capture and internment of their members. I don't have my Codex handy, but there and many examples of successor chapters launching independent operations to capture Fallen and bring them to the Rock. There is a lgened that the Disciples of Caliban were secretly founded as a chapter solely to hunt down Cypher.

So. all Fallen go to The Rock when captured, even with the successors scattered throughout known space?

I believe so, but if a Successor can make a Fallen repent then he might not even make it back to the Rock. Successors can hand Fallen over to the DA through other Interrogator Chaplains, such as was the case with Arkos the Faithless when he was captured by the Angels of Absolution during the Siege of Vraks.

There is no instance of the Deathwing killing any Successors in The Unforgiven. I believe Angels of Darkness is the only piece of Dark Angels fiction that depicts fratricide within the Dark Angels: in it, Interrogator-Chaplain Boreas kills Apothecary Nestor, who is also a member of the Inner Circle, when he attempts to exit a fortress that has been sealed to contain a virus that would infect all of Piscina IV.

All Fallen are ultimately brought back to the Rock. Are there exceptions to the rule? Sure. That's the intent, though.

Going into the waning nights of M41, Azrael was the only member of the Inner Circle who knew of Luther. The novel The Unforgiven makes it clear, however, that the Grand Masters who made up the inner-most chamber of the Inner Circle also possessed lore that the others - including Azrael - were not privy to. Beyond that, the previous Codices are often vague and somewhat contradictory regarding the hierarchy of the Inner Circle across the whole of the Unforgiven and the amount of knowledge the various rungs possess. For instance, Successor Chapter Masters are sometimes described as "Grand Masters," and other times as "Supreme Grand Masters" in their own right. Are Chapter Masters of other Unforgiven Chapters on the same level as a Grand Master of the Dark Angels? If so, which one? Probably not Ezekiel, right?