How to kill Spartan assault tank?

Chaplain Gunzhard

Facing this on Saturday... thing has 20 wounds, 2+ save and toughness 8. It suffers no penalty to move and shoot and it can flee combat and still shoot or charge. Moves 10" too. It's also a Beast in CC and has tons of guns.

It'll be running as Salamanders also.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Chaplain Gunzhard

Lascannons. Lots of Lascannons.

Melta's are going to suffer because of the Toughness 8, you really want Str9 or better for your anti-tank.

If you can't kill it, try to minimize what it gets to kill. It's shooting isn't tremendous (for its points anyway) and if it's carrying something scary around, keep bait between your important stuff and said scary unit.

I have a shocking lack of lascannon options I realize. No DC with TH... But I could build up a smashypants: which would be best kitout for killing Spartan? Inferno?

I have a Libby dread too.

It will depend on how the LOW is accessible to charge.

Libby dread with artisan is 3 attack, dmg 4, ap-4. Hit and wound on 2 with red thirst. Quick gives 1d3 attack and red rampage 1d3 more attacks. This is enough to cripple it down the wound chart quite a bit, maybe kill it with some luck.

The downside is that is can be denied the quickening and it is big, so it is hard to sneak through for a charge.

The captain is smaller, can deep strike and use jump pack stratagem but he *only* hits with ap-3 and str 8.

You can always run both it’s not like dmg 3 is bad anyway. I think captain + librarian is a good HQ choice post codex.

Ok good stuff, yeah he'll never stay in combat since there is no downside for fleeing on that beast, so combimelta is good idea. I like the captain and Libby dread idea too.

The other thing is, I'm that guy that rolls 5 out of 6 1's, and he is that guy that rolls 5 out of 6 6's on the reg haha, but ok we'll give this a shot.

Sorry to derail a bit, but I don't think pistols are anywhere near as worthless as most seem to think. When just looking at one HQ choice, sure the combi weapons win out easily (for at least double the points).But for the same price as 1 combi melta, I can fit two inferno pistols in. Or 11 hand flamers instead of 1 combi!

The combi melta is still your better option here. I'm just trying to point out that pistols are not as worthless as people make them out to be.

Also, since this matters apparently, my capt has an inferno pistol so you should totally do that :P

Edited by Brother Lemartes

Sorry to derail a bit, but I don't think pistols are anywhere near as worthless as most seem to think. When just looking at one HQ choice, sure the combi weapons win out easily (for at least double the points).But for the same price as 1 combi melta, I can fit two inferno pistols in. Or 11 hand flamers instead of 1 combi!

The combi melta is still your better option here. I'm just trying to point out that pistols are not as worthless as people make them out to be.

Also, since this matters apparently, my capt has an inferno pistol so you should totally do that :tongue.:

I see your point and I say the same I said on the Stormbolter topic: weapon slots in your army is as much a ressource as points are. You don't have infinite guys who can wield all those Handflamer etc. available unfortunately.

Haha! Probably not!

You should take a pic of your opponents face when ze capt smashes the spartan!

Edit: panzer: yeah, more realistically I would take 1 HF on the capt and use the points to add a couple power swords to the D.C. I usually take. That would actually matter more.

Edited by Brother Lemartes

Ok smashypants captain is built, with combi-melta.

I plan to run him and the Libby dread, but not sure how best to use the dread against the Spartan, what do you think gents?

1) Drop-pod it in

2) Cast Wings + Quickening

3) Guaranteed Charge

4) Red Rampage Strat

5) Enjoy your minimum potential 15 Damage

If you are so inclined you can give the Furioso Force Halberd an extra point of damage with the Warlord trait to increase the murderise.

Tossed a few more lascannons in the tacticals... did I mention that this thing can shoot ALL it's weapons within 1" ...so 8 Lascannon shots, 12 HB shots minimum and whatever else he adds on top of that (HB, HF, MM, or SB); it also has 8 CC attacks hitting on 3+, S8, -2AP, D3 damage... the more I look at it the more I think I'm doomed haha.

Smashypants definitely needs the relic JP at least cuz that overwatch will be deadly.

So the game will be 3000 points... he just told me along with the Spartan he's bringing the Cerberus haha... I don't have the expletives to insert here; that thing is even harder to kill (basically same as Spartan but Toughness 9 and 22 wounds).

The good news is if I can kill those 2 monsters early he'll be running very short.

Maybe you need Captain Smash....Captain Smash brother (relic Hammer instead)....and a Flybrarian then. :biggrin.:

Well my list is printed and everything is packed and ready as is... the good news is: at 3000 points I am able to get 16 Command Points; so I can try to be on my toes and pull every shenanigan I can early, burning through CP.