New to 8th! Where do I start?

scatmandoo

Figure out what kind of IG army appeals to you. Do you want gunline(gets to be really boring), mech and armor, infantry, air cav. Unlike prior editions there is no one build to rule them all. Plus GW tends to FAQ everything every couple weeks and almost any power build is neutered. Don't bother with FW vehicles aside from a Vulture or two, GW has pointed most of them for IG out of the realm of even rule of cool(for some reason they have left the highly popular Vulture alone for now). People say Chimeras are over priced, mine with twin heavy flamers do some massive damage and pay for themselves every game. I don't use psykers in either of my guard armies but I hear they have been whalloped with a nerf maul. Leman Russes are very solid.

Hey Scat!

Welcome back! 8th is a great edition to get back into. :D

The core rules are pretty straight forward in this edition which certainly helps. There's the usual suspects on YouTube which can help give you an idea. Watch some of the Table Top Tactics and Frontline Gaming stuff. They've been fairly involved with the release of 8th.

GW community page and Twitch stream had been posting some general game play articles too.

Best way is to just play! What models do you have already?

As for army building your main focus would be trying to maximise command points (CP's) via using as many large detachments as possible.

Unit wise most guard units are great this edition which is awesome as I've had to dust of units I've been wanting to play but couldn't in 7th.

You definitely want to get the codex though! Guard got a great boost with that vs the index.

Let us know how you go and what your plans are for your return.

Good timing too, there maybe a hobby event in the IG forum coming soon. ;)

One top tip (as I see you're in the UK) is to have a look at Element Games - they do a "starter bundle" for the Cadians that's a pretty good jumping off point. If you're feeling wealthy, I'd even consider getting two such bundles, plus either/or a unit of Bullgryn and a Start Collecting set of Tempestus. That little lot will give you plenty of everything to get started with, and everything there is very solid rules-wise.

Also, if you don't want Cadians, or if you have some other ideas about what regiment you'd like, you may want to have a look at Anvil Industries' Regiments range - whether you want some different guns, heads for swaps, or full units, I'm certain they'll have what you need. :)

Beyond that, duz_ is quite right - lots of stuff is viable for IG this edition, and I would try and get a mixture of stuff rather than just spamming one unit or type of special/heavy weapon as I think this is (1) cooler, (2) more fun, and (3) will survive GW's balancing efforts better. Points (1) and (2) are especially important for Guard, given how much you will likely have to paint! :P

Welcome back Scats, good to see you :tu: I can also vouch for Element Games (if you do, let me know so I can give you a code for bonus points!).

Numbers is King more than ever before, so get those boots on the ground and roll out the tanks as the Leman Russ will form a solid core to any list along with the humble Infantry Squad. Oh, and Marbo is coming back :P

If you don't have any troops/vehicles yet then you are at an advantage... you can build up from scratch and don't have to be steered in any direction as a result of the stuff you have.

I would recommend looking at the detachments and building up your forces with those in mind. That way you will build a force that doesn't miss out on all the little bonuses that detachments offer.

I would also recommend that you forget about the old way of doing guard (platoons) and tailor your forces to the detachments instead. That way, you won't be bound by old limitations. That doesn't mean that you can't do platoons any more... just that you don't have to :) .

The basics are an HQ and one troop unit (although you don't get any command benefits for that)... so there is somewhere to start :) ... then if you can get 2 HQ and 3 troop units together, you start getting detachment bonuses (Battalion - which could be an Army commander, Primaris Psyker and 3 infantry squads... 32 miniatures for 3 command points).

Pick a theme and go for it :)

Lots of good advice here. Mine would be: try to get a game or two in, even a small one. Preferably with someone who won't mind if you have to proxy a bunch, and who won't be out to win at all costs, so you can learn the game flow without being slaughtered by experience. This also would help you get a hang of what to expect from guard, so you'll know for sure that it's an army you like the style of. (this is important. I've seen bunches of people buy a complete army, only to sell it at a huge loss because they ended up not liking it.). If you have a friend or acquaintance who has a small guard army you could borrow for a game with (so they know the army too), that would be absolutely perfect.

Once you're on to buying models and building your list, I'll second the advice that you can rarely go wrong painting up some extra Guardsmen or tanks. Guardsmen especially are so flexible as infantry squads, veteran squads, special weapon teams, heavy weapon teams, that they're almost always handy to have a few extra. I'd also recommend looking up how to turn one heavy weapon squad into a mortar, missile launcher, and one other weapon with the addition of some extra 60mm bases and standard infantry.

Lastly, I've never gone wrong with the plan of building redundancies into my lists. Most things I've found that if it's worth taking one of, it's probably worth taking two or more.

Run! Run away you fool of a Took! While you still ca....

...and you’re still here. Your wallet will not thank you for this decision but welcome aboard all the same.

My advice is to find what you like and then find out how to make it work. Trial and error is ok, especially if you have friends that are fine with proxy or you used magnets, but this forum has great advice and somebody might be trying the same thing.

I say definitely get a small game in. Maybe 40 power level (I suggest power level to start because it’s simple). I’ve taught half s dozen people how to play. Having a good mentor/teacher is key.

If they’re about to do something that will backfire, I’ll tell them. If they’re not shooting at something that’s a major threat, I’ll remind them. I’ll explain what their units can do vs what mine can do as well.

Get a good friendly game in to learn the rules. I don’t usually even play a mission, I just start killing each other and letting them manuver units around the board. 8th is super easy to learn but challenging to master.

Proxies or borrowed units are key too. It helps you find the style you like playing. I always wanted to play an assault style guard army (in theory) until I discovered my love of artillery and gun-line squads! I’m so glad I played around before committing to a style I wouldn’t love!

Most of all, have fun!

Thanks for the replys all.

Got a sizable collection already with many tanks, couple valks, a banebalde and plenty of troop and weapon options

Had a game today about 500 points and it was wierd conpared to how I have ever known it since 3rd edition.will take getting used to but can see it has potential.

Thanks all.

In the back of the codex and index you will find lists with points.

You pay for the bodies and then for the gear. The cost of one guardsman does not include any gear, but luckily the lasgun and grenades costs 0 points. If you want to take any extra upgrades like special weapons and heavy weapons, you have to pay for those.

Edit:the lists are on p.142 in both the codex and index

Edited by Are Verlo

Getting a feel for it. Will habe another go with pictures later. Struggling on the phone.

8th is very different. Trying to get my head around how vehicles in particular are totally different.

Are Valks even worth it now that when flying it becomes bs 5+? Or have I misread that?