Options for Brigade Detachments

Calistarius

You don't *have* to deep strike scions, especially with the HSVG loadout....

If you're limited by points size, then maybe a cheap battalion for +3CP is too much. An outrider detachment of techmarine + 3 HB tarantulas gets you +1CP for ~170pts and 4 drops to offset your reserves. Plus, repairing tarantulas is kinda hilarious.

This idea appealed to me (I ordered a buttload of third party tarantulas in a fit of pique earlier in the year) but Techmarines can only repair Blood Angels Vehicles, whereas Tarantulas are Adeptus Astartes Gun Emplacements, unless Battlescribe is wrong (entirely possible - seems odd enough that they don't appear to have a chapter keyword).

Not that it wouldn't make sense for them to be able to repair them, having proper dedicated heavy weapons turrets makes more sense than duct taping them to servitors - but RAW I don't think they can do this.

Then Battlescribe is wrong. Tarantulas have those keywords you describe but they have «chapter» and vehicle keywords as well.

You don't *have* to deep strike scions, especially with the HSVG loadout....

If you're limited by points size, then maybe a cheap battalion for +3CP is too much. An outrider detachment of techmarine + 3 HB tarantulas gets you +1CP for ~170pts and 4 drops to offset your reserves. Plus, repairing tarantulas is kinda hilarious.

This idea appealed to me (I ordered a buttload of third party tarantulas in a fit of pique earlier in the year) but Techmarines can only repair Blood Angels Vehicles, whereas Tarantulas are Adeptus Astartes Gun Emplacements, unless Battlescribe is wrong (entirely possible - seems odd enough that they don't appear to have a chapter keyword).

Not that it wouldn't make sense for them to be able to repair them, having proper dedicated heavy weapons turrets makes more sense than duct taping them to servitors - but RAW I don't think they can do this.

Then Battlescribe is wrong. Tarantulas have those keywords you describe but they have «chapter» and vehicle keywords as well.

You're right, and a quick Google Image Search for the datasheet confirms it (I really need to get the FW Index some time. Plus a Techmarine, by the sounds of it, sweet!). Thanks for the info!

Edited by Kolyarut

The Veritas Vitae is a BA relic, you have to have a BA warlord to take BA relics.

If you make the AM company commander your warlord you can only take AM relics, full stop.

The Death Guard FAQ disagrees with you.

"Q: If my army is led by a Chaos Space Marines Warlord, and I have a Detachment of Death Guard, can I use the Gifts of

Decay Death Guard Stratagem to include a Relic on a Death Guard Character?

A: Yes. The only requirement to have access to Stratagems is that you have a Detachment of the

appropriate Faction. If you have a Death Guard Detachment, you have access to their Stratagems."

And for reference:

"Gifts of Decay (1 or 3 CP): Use before the start of the battle. You can have a second Relic of Decay for 1 CP, or 2 extra for 3 CP. All the Relics have to be different, and all have to go to different Characters."

Relics of Decay are the Death Guard specific relics. CSM are a separate army to Death Guard with different relics etc, just as AM are to Blood Angels (or codex marines)

Edited by Arkhanist

• 2 weeks later...

Fascinating!

The relics section says if you have a faction warlord you can give out one faction relic...

But the faction stratagem is unlocked as long as you have a faction detachment! And the strategem just gives you an extra faction relic or two at the cost of CP.

Since its confirmed by the FAQ I think the debate is settled, No?

Maximum trolling: AM grand strategist warlord and select the Kurov Aquila relic

Spend 1 CP on BA relic strategems to get Veritas Vitae...

When you use a 1CP strategem, roll 2d6 and 5+ gain a CP

When you use a 2CP stratagem, roll 3D6. For 3CP, roll 4D6.

Oh, and roll a D6 when your opponent uses a stratagem and get a CP on a 5+.

Throw in a callidus assassin too just to maximize the CP disparity.

Thank you for mentioning that death guard FAQ!!!

When building a 2000 pt brigade list, I like to think of it like this:

You have to fill required 18 units, which means the average points per unit is 111.11.

Therefore, every unit that costs more than 111 means you need a unit that costs less than 111 by the same amount. So a 47pt attack bike allows you to spend 64 more points elsewhere, likewise a 300 point death company mob forces you to cut 189 points from the other 17 units.

Diagramdude, you have hit the nail on the head.

This is at the crux of my problems with trying to squeeze a brigade into 2000 points. Yes it is possible but several units need to be more than 111 points in order to be effective. A 47 point attack bike is not as good point-for-point as some of our other FA choices such as Inceptors. While it is possible to squeeze the 18 units required for a Brigade into 2000 points, you will have an army with a lot of units punching below their weight IMHO.

To borrow an example from Eldar, my standard 2000 point list is Battalion + Spearhead so only has 7 CPs which means I am lucky if I have any left by turn 3. However the army itself is very strong so needs the CPs less in order to function well.

I've been making a list using a brigade recently and whilst I've not played it yet, on paper it seems to have everything I need in a list. Sure there are some units that are basically just making up the numbers (eg, 3 x attack bikes) but mostly, everything is there for a reason and it's got a good mix of firepower, close combat ability, speed, numbers and ObjSec units.

i very much enjoyed my pure primaris brigade last week, was 2050 points (because one of the other players needed it, so we all agreed to have the extra points).

some of you will say "not very blood angely" but i say "sure it is, they're red, they hit things harder in melee and I even had some jump troops."

I have never been a huge fan of death company anyway (I have quite a lot, but, much like my terminators, they've pretty much never been used in and edition beyond occasional token units). I do like the sanguinary guard though.