Captain Loadout

Ushtarador

Seems as though the only left handed thunder hammer I own is the one from the Burning of Prospero set. It's pretty long though and I am not sure the old style asthetic works with a Sanguinary Guard body that I will have for my smashy pants. Also, I may end up using SG wings to represent his Wings since my DC Chaplain wings are set aside for my GBBO priest. I'm not spending 33 bucks just of another set of those wings.

Seems as though the only left handed thunder hammer I own is the one from the Burning of Prospero set. It's pretty long though and I am not sure the old style asthetic works with a Sanguinary Guard body that I will have for my smashy pants. Also, I may end up using SG wings to represent his Wings since my DC Chaplain wings are set aside for my GBBO priest. I'm not spending 33 bucks just of another set of those wings.

I used the thunderhammer from the DC sprue. I cut off the little nub on the bottom where it connects to the other arm and have replaced it with the skull off the end of an old chainsword.

My question is where are all the BA lightning claws? In fact, where can I get lightning claws in general? I'm considering a non-DC LC captain for funs as well.

Well the captain can be such a hit-or-miss.

Today I have run SS/TH capt with foresight and the relic JP; I have drawn all the character assassination cards. Therefore he charged enemy IH captain-WLD, 5 attacks, all hit, than all saved (unbelievable lucky) , than my capt got torn to pieces with teeth of tera 

Sometimes you have those games :)

I used the thunderhammer from the DC sprue. I cut off the little nub on the bottom where it connects to the other arm and have replaced it with the skull off the end of an old chainsword.

My question is where are all the BA lightning claws? In fact, where can I get lightning claws in general? I'm considering a non-DC LC captain for funs as well.

When I play Vanguard Vets I run them all LCs, that kit is also right full of claws.

Vanvet box has 4 sets (2 claws each). The one finecast special weapon sprue (the one with combi-weapons) has one set. Otherwise most other kits have a single claw but usually they are the same side (right arm I think?).

There is a left handed thunder hammer in the assault squad box. I just used it for my smashy-pants.

Yeah, I used that for my company ancient I painted back in November unfortunately.

I ended up shaving off the space puppies iconography on a right handed lightning claw for my slashy-pants. It ended up looking really good. I also popped the left spaulder off after getting a death company box because those are SOO much better than what I had. Pics when I finish and figure out how. Edited by Paladin777

Well the captain can be such a hit-or-miss.

Today I have run SS/TH capt with foresight and the relic JP; I have drawn all the character assassination cards. Therefore he charged enemy IH captain-WLD, 5 attacks, all hit, than all saved (unbelievable lucky) , than my capt got torn to pieces with teeth of tera 

Sometimes you have those games :smile.:

I had a game like that last week vs space wolves. A single thunderwolf cavalry model with a storm shield tanked something like 9 consecutive lascannon shots. Probably cost me the game, because that unit then proceeded to roll up my weaker flank, when they should have been dead.

Hey, the Devastator kit has a left handed thunder hammer. It looks a bit smaller from the photos and feels more right on a model as a single handed weapon if that makes any sense. You can check the sprue preview on the GW store page. Should be able to get it from a online bots store easily or use it as an excuse to buy the devastator kit and add some more heavy weapons somewhere I guess :) The assault squad box also has a left handed thunder hammer.

Edited by Zectz

My Captain builds (so far):

“Assassin”:

-jump pack with Angel’s Wing

-combi-melta (sometimes inferno, depending on pts/use)

-thunder hammer

Can put out D:D6 on a re-rollable BS2+ before charging in for 4x D:3 hammer attacks. There are few things in the game that won’t get hurt by this, especially with re-rollable charges and no overwatch. Doesn’t even have to be your WL

Cataphractii Terminator Captain

-thunder hammer With Hammer of Baal

-combi-melta

-Gift of Foresight WLT

Company Ancient with Standard of Sacrifice

Brother Corbulo

2+/3++/6+++ re-rolling 1’s/5++++ save. If something should actually get through, Corbs can heal. With the Relic TH, Capt also can get exploding 6’s on a re-rollable WS2+. The Iron Hands called: they’re mad about not having the toughest :cuss in the Imperium anymore

Wannabe Eversor

-jump pack with Angel’s Wing

-lightning claws

-Death Company Strategem

Gets 6x +1W attacks on the charge hitting on re-rollable 2’s, re-rolling failed wounds. Re-rolls charges and and can’t be Overwatched. Give him Gift of Foresight for more resilience or or Artisan for D:2 LC’s. This guy can babysit Devs then Wings of Fire his way into the enemy Devs and be a one man wrecking machine. Put him on a flank and watch the enemy devote way more attention to kill a single 21 melta-bomb costed (!!!!!!!) model than should ever be worth it.

Edited by Indefragable

gallery_55178_12781_155868.jpg

Captain Smashypants. DC Chaplain body, BA upgrade sprues head, DC jump pack, Deathwatch hammer and tower shield. Magnetized for infernus and Bolter too.

One game played.

Kill list:

Chimera, X2 ogryns, Straken, 4 catachan guardsmen before he was swamped in fists and knives.

Edited by Bonzi

I ran a DC captain with thunder hammer (artificered to 4 damage) on foot today in 2 games. Accounted for a lord of contagion, 4 blight terminator bodygaurds and a malignant plaguecaster in the 1st game, second game he took down a wraithlord, 6 guardian jetbikes and tanked 2 full turns of shooting and psychics. All for less than 100pts

So which does more damage? The hammer of Baal or a +1 damage hammer?

Not being great at math, my guess is the +1 damage hammer. So if you’re taking multiple smash captains, my guess would be angel wings and artificer hammer on the warlord. Hammer of Baal on the second.

Against models with 1, 2, 3, 5 or 6 wounds remaining, the Artisan hammer's extra damage is overkill, so the more accurate Hammer of Baal wins out. I'd still pick the Angel's Wing for the charge reroll and no overwatch though; a failed charge means you do no damage at all in melee of course.

Not being great at math, my guess is the +1 damage hammer. So if you’re taking multiple smash captains, my guess would be angel wings and artificer hammer on the warlord. Hammer of Baal on the second.

Against models with 1, 2, 3, 5 or 6 wounds remaining, the Artisan hammer's extra damage is overkill, so the more accurate Hammer of Baal wins out. I'd still pick the Angel's Wing for the charge reroll and no overwatch though; a failed charge means you do no damage at all in melee of course.

I'd say drop 2 CP right off the bat, give your captain the hammer of Baal, and the Angel's Wing. Fly around, crush, prosper.

I'd say drop 2 CP right off the bat, give your captain the hammer of Baal, and the Angel's Wing. Fly around, crush, prosper.

You can take only one relic per charakter.

^^ the whole point behind the smashy-pants captain is that you chose one relic: Wings or Hammer. We want the charge to succeed (via wings) so that's why we go with the stratagem to make the hammer a +1 hammer instead of using the Hammer relic.

Additionally, you want to capitalize on the first turn charge so the stratagem for DC tagged units adds a full round of movement before first turn. Ultimately you end up spending more than half your CPs on smashy-pants but it will absolutely take down almost anything big. If there is nothing big, then you just don't spend the extra CP except for the initial CP to make him a DC captain (which is done during list building, not when you start the battle).

Edited by Spagunk

Thanks for all the posts guys, that's some great discussion here!

I played a few games and decided to go with the JP, Thunder Hammer and Combi-Plasma, which makes for a very versatile option with high damage potential! I also magnetized the combiweapon-part so I can switch to melta or grav in case he blows himself up too often in the future. :wink: I had a lot of success with the 5+ FnP warlord trait so far, I think I prefer it over the 4 dmg hammer against most lists.

I'll get a pic in as soon as I have the opportunity^^

Edited by Ushtarador

^^ the whole point behind the smashy-pants captain is that you chose one relic: Wings or Hammer. We want the charge to succeed (via wings) so that's why we go with the stratagem to make the hammer a +1 hammer instead of using the Hammer relic.

Additionally, you want to capitalize on the first turn charge so the stratagem for DC tagged units adds a full round of movement before first turn. Ultimately you end up spending more than half your CPs on smashy-pants but it will absolutely take down almost anything big. If there is nothing big, then you just don't spend the extra CP except for the initial CP to make him a DC captain (which is done during list building, not when you start the battle).

Does the DC early move strat affect all DC units, or just one?

I want the Hammer of Baal because I want to swing at 2+ reroll 1s, not 3+, reroll 1s. In the long run I think that'll bring more damage to the table in the long run instead of the damage 4 hammer as I'll be hitting more often. I didn't run math, though, maybe that should be done. I'd be interested.

Does the DC early move strat affect all DC units, or just one?

I want the Hammer of Baal because I want to swing at 2+ reroll 1s, not 3+, reroll 1s. In the long run I think that'll bring more damage to the table in the long run instead of the damage 4 hammer as I'll be hitting more often. I didn't run math, though, maybe that should be done. I'd be interested.

The DC strat only affects a single unit.

I did the math a few weeks ago and against a single target you do more damage using Artisan of War but it's less flexible because you are obviously getting fewer hits, meaning fewer potential kills when facing multiple models.

I would say as a general rule you're better off taking AoW because that lets you also take Angel's Wing but this is very much a personal preference thing.