New to Knights, which version do you prefer?

Gentlemanloser

• 2 weeks later...

Crusader is best, imo. Equip with Gatling, Rapid Fire Battle Cannon and Stormspear Rocket Pod.

I'm also a fan of the Warden if not looking to spend as many points. Again, Stormspear is a must.

Definitely worth magnetizing! It's not even that hard to magnetized most of the options. But if you absolutely refuse, I agree that Crusader is best. You are paying 30 points for the Chainsword that you probably won't get much use out of unless your opponent also has a Titanic model, and even then you still have to make it into combat. The second gun though will absolutely get used every turn, so it's more efficient even though it costs more.

Magnetising is king here, because it’s such a big model it’s so easy to magnetise and makes it a lot easier to transport to the flgs. Plus it helps your expensive model transition to different editions of the game much easier.

Crusader is the load out I have used twice this edition and has worked well, I am curious what people thought of the Icarus gun tho?

At this point, most of them play about the same.  In melee, you'll be using Titanic Feet most of the time unless a supremely hard target presents itself, in which case the Crusader is hosed (though it should be hanging way back anyway).  Really it's just a matter of what you need most to back up the rest of your army; the Warden grants solid mass-wounding and has a HF for a nice bonus, while the Errant is deadliest for taking hard targets at range.  The Paladin is nicely balanced and has range which makes it even more flexible, while the Gallant is almost 100% melee and is therefore only a good choice for a purely shooting force (or if you just want to save points, but honestly if you're taking a IK you're already dunking a lot of points from your total).  The Crusader is the best passive build for pure support and it can (as mentioned previously) fend off some melee attention, though its price tag is daunting.

Icarus gun isn't worth it. Against flyers it does about the same number of wounds as the stormspear but does way less against anything that's not a flyer.

I've found the Icarus to be alright but I've been stuck choosing between that and the ironstorm since I never got around to building my stormspear rocket yet. That and it's cheaper and I don't need a few more points on my knight when I have other weapons that can fill that roll better in the list. That and with everything with the fly keyword these days its pretty easy to get the bonus to hit.

My preferences are based purely on aestetics.

Atropos comes first, by a landslide. (Although if I could ever find someone who was willing to trade their Acheron's weapons for an Atrapos's, I'd jump on the occasion...)

Next would be the Styrix and then the Magaera.

As for the others, I'd say Acheron, Castigator, Lancer, any of the Questoris (not much of a preference here, really) and finally the Porphyrion (I really don't like his looks).