Blood Angels Primaris Company Question

Schwills

Hey guys. Currently looking at building the 3rd company for my blood angels using only primaris models but have ran into a bit of a problem. 

The codex states that a company is roughly 100 models right? So when you go to fill the 2 squads of your close support section with Inceptors and Reivers and your fire support with hellblasters and aggressors, you seem to run into a bit of a problem. You need to make two squads of 10, much like assault marines would be in squads of 10, but you can't - the squad sizes do not allow for it.

Now would you have to two squads of 5 aggressors or maybe two squads of 3 and one squad of 4? Nothing sits well with me here. 

If you know, let me know.

The Space Marine codex would have me believe that the old system of 10x10 marines has been discarded, they show a mixed numarine/oldmarine company with 82 marines in the 10 regular squads. I think the fluff surrounding chapter organization is in flux for now.

The codex astartes was revised by Guiliman to allow between ten and twenty squads in a company. The "ten squads of ten" rule doesn't have to apply anymore, nor do all squads have to be of marines from that specific company: the 11th squad for example can be drawn from the reserve companies and can either be a temporary assignment for a particular engagement or a permanent one.

In the case of the Blood Angels, the squad markings for the 11th - 20th squads are swapped around. The 11th squad is a black skull on a white knee pad etc etc.

So really... whatever floats your boat.

The way I read it was that each company is, at it's max, still 100 marines. However there can now be up to 20 squads (as there are now 20 different squad marking knee designes). So there could be 20 5 man squads if you wish or a mix of 10's and 5's in squad sizes.

The way I read it was that each company is, at it's max, still 100 marines. However there can now be up to 20 squads (as there are now 20 different squad marking knee designes). So there could be 20 5 man squads if you wish or a mix of 10's and 5's in squad sizes.

In simple terms, you can field 10 'full' squads - usually 10-man - or 20 'half / combat' squads - usually 5-man - in a revised company structure.

Think of it as squads 1-10, that can alternately be constituted 1A+B, 2A+B, and so on.

The 'uneven' primaris units are no different to assault marines fielded as attack bike squads or landspeeder crews.

So in your second example, you could have squad 9 - a 10-man hellblaster (full) squad - and squads 10A and 10B - two 3-man aggressor (combat) squads. Even though that's 16 marines in total, as far as I can tell that'd count as your fire support 'slots' in the company being filled - you'd not be obliged to find another 4 marines somewhere to reach 20 total.

If you added another aggressor squad - 3 or 6 man - it'd be one seconded from a reserve company, and would augment the battle company's manpower.

What we don't know is how the numbering breaks down - we're told any reserve company squad will occupy 11-20, but we don't know - in the example above - whether squads 10A and 10B would count as 10 and 11, 10 and 19, or 10 and whichever slot 11-20 is first free.

• 10 months later...

I'd like to dig this thread up with a following question:

If I want to add say a squad of Devastators from a reserve 9th Company and give them the 11th Squad marking in my 5th Company, do I change their Company markings from 9th to 5th as well?

That would be logical, as in their parent Company they would not have squad marking 11th, as there are only 10 squads there, right?

What do you think?

I'd like to dig this thread up with a following question:

If I want to add say a squad of Devastators from a reserve 9th Company and give them the 11th Squad marking in my 5th Company, do I change their Company markings from 9th to 5th as well?

That would be logical, as in their parent Company they would not have squad marking 11th, as there are only 10 squads there, right?

What do you think?

This is the way it works now, apparently, but it's a logic problem.

If a reserve devastator squad from the 9th company joins the 5th company and changes their iconography to reflect the new company...are they still 9th company? 

The seconding of units from different companies to form a single cohesive strike force is supposed to be represented by army/campaign badges, which still feature on transfer sheets. Having seconded units physically change their heraldry for a temporary assignment doesn't make sense

It's really down to you. I'll be sticking to the 10x10 format. To me the squad icons 11 - 20 are perfect to designate both halves of combat squads, not seconded units. 

Yeah I'd keep the 9th company marking for the reserve squad tbh. They'd be returning to the reserve company eventually anyway (unless permanently assigned) and more importantly if you give them 5th company markings etc they wouldn't be any different than your other 5th company squads from a modeling/painting point of view.

Any extra troops outside the codex battle company are painted in their company colors for my army. So I have two 5 man assault squads in addition to my battle company assault squads but they are painted in 2nd company markings. Just trying to make a nod towards appropriate iconography but haven't gone full out towards Rogue trader levels.

My intended goal for my primaris is to deck them out in 5th company colors and definitely go heavy on Rogue Trader markings. No real reason other than because I can.

Archived