Tournament List - Importance of Psykers

lash144

Hey there,

first of all, merry christmas to all of you!

So my first few month after starting playing 40k are over and I love it :D I wanna attend to my first tournament soon and I think I found an army concept worth trying.

Basically I´m playing lots of infantry, backed up by some deepstriking admech stuff. 

My question is, if it´s really a must to include some anti psyker stuff if you wanna compete in a tournament? I mean for the price of the astropath / psyker I could get just more dudes and since I really got no good targets for psychic barrier / nightshroud, it would just come down to some potential denials and a smite / psychic maelstrom.

I could also include an Inquisitor / Greyfax which would be even more expensive, but would have the benefit of having improved LD.

Also many good psychic factions get +1 or +2 on their powers, so I don´t know if it´s really worth bothering, trying to stop them.

So what do you think? Is anti psychic a must have or can one work without it?

Hi lash

I went to a tournament last week without psyker support. I had 1 close win and 2 close losses. I never really felt hurt by my lack of a psyker.

Psykers are nice but I don't think they are mandatory in an IG list.

Also, when I do bring them I prefer to keep them in back buffing my forward infantry with morale and save buffs. So often they are too far away from enemy psykers and don't get the chance to dispel. That's just my experience though, other folks' experiences might differ.

I take 3 Primaris, Inquisitor Psyker and a SM Librarian. I rarely smite spam unless someone squeezes a flier into my lines. I use psychic barrier, nightshroud, mental fortitude, psychic maelstorm. Librarian goes for null zone and might of heroes.

Required no. But putting one of my wyvern or manticore at -1 to hit is so sweet. Especially if I see ranked up plasma guns/cannons.

No you don't, they're a nice to have but not need to have.

From my experience if your opponent is taking a heavy psyker army then 1-2 psykers isn't going to help you. If you spam them then you'll have the advantage, although be taking points from elsewhere. This edition guard can flood cheap bodies that aren't so easily removed so you should capitalize on that.

If youre still not sure then consider a vanguard or supreme command of an inquisitor or psyker with a culexus assassin. They'll help for psychic defence at least.

Personally Ive only taken on Primaris and that was to run with my Bullgryns. He smites enemies and adds as a distraction. :)

Good luck with your event! The commissariat expects a full debrief of your victories and pictures as evidence.

Edited by duz_

No you don't, they're a nice to have but not need to have.

From my experience if your opponent is taking a heavy psyker army then 1-2 psykers isn't going to help you. If you spam them then you'll have the advantage, although be taking points from elsewhere. This edition guard can flood cheap bodies that aren't so easily removed so you should capitalize on that.

If youre still not sure then consider a vanguard or supreme command of an inquisitor or psyker with a culexus assassin. They'll help for psychic defence at least.

Yeah that's also what I was thinking / experiencing.

Sure a psyker / inquisitor with a Culexus will help, bod that's almost enough points for another russ, so I'm not quite sure if I will skip it totally.

The thing I'm also "afraid" of is playing against armies with no psykers, so those points would be quite lost.

So yeah I think I will just being more stuff :D

Remember the old adage: "Boys before toys"!

If you're bringing the psyker as a gimmick, you'll likely see more mileage out of another squad of something you're already carrying. If you're bringing them to make your 10 men feel like 100, you'll probably feel like they were a good investment.

Worry about what you can do before you worry about what your opponent can do.