Idea (not particularly new) for vanguard veterans

Paladin777

So I’ve heard some people throwing out the idea of dual plasma pistols on vanguard vets and/or company vets. I was wondering what more people had to say about the idea. Personally, I really like it, it allows you to do some damage even if you don’t get the charge off, or shoot one unit and charge the other if needed.

I was thinking about running a squad of 8-10, two with dual pistols, one pistol and another melee weapon (power axe or thunder hammer maybe) on the Sarge to make use of his extra attack stat, a couple power weapons on a couple more guys with chainswords for every other arm.

For an 8 man squad, TH and pistol on sarge, two dual pistol guys, two power axes and the rest chainswords comes to 205 pts. The chainswords guys would make chaff/horde clearing with 4 attacks each, the power axes/swords/whatever would help with heavy armor.

Edited by Paladin777

I'm still waiting for my dex to arrive (via Oriental Express it seems) so I don't know points values, but this seems pricey if powerful. If the PV for an Inceptor includes the weapon, I'll probably go for them over VV in the plasma role.

I'm using VVs for melta and possibly chaff clearance if they can take storm bolters. If so I'd love to know the meltabomb cost for 5 VV with storm bolters? :D

I'm still waiting for my dex to arrive (via Oriental Express it seems) so I don't know points values, but this seems pricey if powerful. If the PV for an Inceptor includes the weapon, I'll probably go for them over VV in the plasma role.

I'm using VVs for melta and possibly chaff clearance if they can take storm bolters. If so I'd love to know the meltabomb cost for 5 VV with storm bolters? :D

A Storm Bolter/Chainsword/Jump Pack Vanguard costs 4 Melta Bombs (20 for 5). A twin Plasma Pistol/JP Vanguard costs 6.4.

A Plasma Inceptor (including both Plasma Exterminators) costs 11.8 Melta Bombs (35.4 for 3).

On average, a Plasma Inceptor kicks out 4 shots (2.95 Melta Bombs per shot, on average) with a minimum of 2 (5.9MB/shot) and a maximum of 6 (1.97MB/shot), although they all have a longer range than the Plasma Pistols. Plasma Vanguard always shoot 2 shots (3.2 MB/shot) and can fire theirs while in melee.

Edited by Kallas

I didn't think you could take a storm bolter on vanguard vets

I think cheap vets with plasma pistols and maybe a few swords thrown in is a decent elite slot filler if you are chasing those CPs

You're right, only Company Veterans can, who are touch more expensive.