Suggestion for a 2000 point army facing the nids

Vulkan81

Greetings brothers,

Looking for some advice for an upcoming game.  I will be playing a 2000 point game against the Tyranids.  I have an idea that my buddy will be bringing at least 2 hive tyrants and also a Maleceptor.  I also figure he will have a good amount of warriors, termagaunts and spore mines.  Any suggestions on how to smash this horde to bits?

I would recommend Captain smashy-pants against the tyrants. Death company with bolters and chainswords should be really potent vs termagaunts as well. Leave the sanguinary guard at home. Twin Assault Cannon Razorbacks possibly as well. If you have land raider crusaders/redeemers, tyranids is the army to field it against. Edited by Paladin777

Scout screens to speed bump and slow down their advance for a turn.

Try and ensure you are the charger not the other way round generally speaking with your other units.

On weapons, storm bolters are also good to have.

Make a plan to get after those warriors, if left alone they tend to shoot the hell outta ya in my experience.

There are some pretty good bat reps out on the youtubes that feature nids against xyz.

Watching a few of those may give you some ideas if you are going in blind currently.

If you have land raider crusaders/redeemers, tyranids is the army to field it against.

With the amount of Mortal wounds Tyranids can spam and huge super mobile blobs he can use to surround those...no, it really isn't the army you want to field Landraider against.

Sternguard with a second captain and a lieutenant would be good. I'm not sure I the hellfire strat applies to them but they can support the CC captain in dealing with other MCs or thin out hordes. Maybe also good for dealing with the warriors rather than charging them. Either way a solid and flexible fire support base for your assault units.

it really depends on what he brings, what mission you roll.

Caustic blood can be a huge momentum swing with a 30 unit blob of termagaunts.

Exocrines and biovores are going to be strong as well as which hive fleet tactic he takes.

Hive tyrants are still really nasty, and depending on how he utilizes them. Pyshcic scream and smite combinations are fantastic, followed by catalyst and onslaught for the melee units.

I think something to consider is las cannons, assault cannons and a storm raven or 2, followed by your death company/sanguinary guard load out.

Captain Smash is an option, however they have enough chafe to keep you honest in that reguard Deathleapers are also hard counters to captain smash since he can only hit them on 5+.

50+ gribblies conga lines can stop major assaults followed by caustic blood really hampers your melee damage out put.

I feel Venomthropes and Malathropes are a hard counter to the las cannons.

I might try something like this.

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [69 PL, 1056pts] ++

+ Flyer +

Stormraven Gunship [15 PL, 352pts]: 2x Stormstrike missile launcher, Twin assault cannon, Twin multi-melta

. Two hurricane bolters: 2x Hurricane bolter

+ HQ +

The Sanguinor [9 PL, 170pts]: 4. Heroic Bearing, Warlord

+ Elites +

Death Company [27 PL, 324pts]: Jump Pack

. Death Company Marine: Boltgun, Power fist

. Death Company Marine: Boltgun, Power fist

. Death Company Marine: Boltgun, Chainsword

Death Company [9 PL, 105pts]: Jump Pack

. Death Company Marine: Boltgun, Power axe

Death Company [9 PL, 105pts]: Jump Pack

. Death Company Marine: Boltgun, Power axe

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [47 PL, 944pts] ++

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback [5 PL, 120pts]: Twin lascannon

Razorback [5 PL, 114pts]: Twin assault cannon

Razorback [5 PL, 114pts]: Twin assault cannon

Razorback [5 PL, 120pts]: Twin lascannon

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [4 PL, 96pts]

. Scout: Sniper rifle

. Scout: Missile launcher

. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Sniper rifle

Scout Squad [4 PL, 55pts]

. Scout: Boltgun

. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

+ HQ +

Captain [6 PL, 129pts]: Jump Pack, Storm shield, Thunder hammer

Sanguinary Priest [5 PL, 86pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Jump Pack

++ Total: [116 PL, 2000pts] ++

Scout screens to speed bump and slow down their advance for a turn.

Negatory, not with nids. The assault move plus opportunistic advance stratagem where they can move again as if it were the movement phase will see them down your throat rapidly.

Maleceptor or malanthrope? Ignore either way as the former is not a threat and the latter is untargetable. 

Nids have limited anti tank capability (heavy venom cannons, rupture cannons, hive guard impalers and shock cannons) so load up in transports and shoot their anti tank first. 

An exocrine will put out a lot of damage on a tank (I think one can kill a rhino per turn). Shoot it fast.

You're going to be assaulted. Bring flamers. Lots of flamers. This may be the one occasion where hand flamers are worth it for the overwatch.

This past weekend I faced off against a shooty Tyranid list which spammed ranged flyrants. A good way to summarize his list was tournament competitiveness. It was something along the lines of:

- 3 ranged flyrants with psychic scream & smite spam

- 1 broodlord

- 1 squad of tyrant guard

- 1 squad of warriors

- 2 blobs of termagaunts

- 1 blob of genestealers

- 2 small squads of ripper swarms

- 1 trygon

- 1 mawloc

I ran a more fluffy list with stuff I liked the look of on the table, with a dash of maximizing auras/special rules:

- sanguinor (warlord)

- jump sanguinary priest

- lemartes

- librarian dreadnought

- sanguinary ancient

- 1 squad of death company

- 1 squad of sanguinary guard

- 1 small squad of combi-plasma sternguard

- rhino primaris

- 2 small squads of sniper scouts

- 1 squad of CC scouts

- 1 flame baal predator

We played maelstrom of war mission 1. This is game was really close because of the dice rolls on things you would think were a given. For instance, the death company & lemartes failed multiple of 5" charges even though lemartes gives rerolls to failed charges. The sanguinor 1v1'ed a flyrant with massive scything talons and won cause my opponent rolled 3 1s to wound in a phase of combat (for Sanguinius! for the Emperor!). His genestealers & broodlord got the charge on my death company & baal predator, but his blob took so much damage to flame weapon overwatch (heavy flamers, flamestorm cannon, hand flamers) that less than 10 made it into combat.

That said, the maelstrom card draws were not with me. I ended up drawing a lot of secure objective cards at the end which I was nowhere close to, where my opponent had a lot of cheap units to sit on objectives while I blew through his big speed bumps. I still think I commanded well enough where if I got more "kill stuff" cards like I did in the beginning of the game, I would have won. Can't win em all tho

That said, hive tyrants got a real nice +1 T buff from the index which makes them T7 now, so watch out for that. Also, mortal wound spam in the psychic phase can really change the battlefield on you quick, so be wearily if you see a lot of hive tyrants on the table, you'll know what comes next

Edited by Brother_Mike

Nids have limited anti tank capability (heavy venom cannons, rupture cannons, hive guard impalers and shock cannons) so load up in transports and shoot their anti tank first. 

Be careful with Rhinos/Razorbacks tho. Tyranids can easily surround those with their Gaunt blobs and then you can't disembark anymore and if he destroys your transports while having them surrounded the embarked models will automatically be destroyed since you can't set them up anywhere before taking away the transport model.

So we have agreed to not do any tactical objectives, I think we are just going to see who can wipe out the other first.  So Sang guard are not a good idea for the game?  I was thinking about something hard hitting to knock out his tyrants.  Cataphractii terminators in a land raider?