Chaplain venerable dreadnought

banis

Have anyone thought about using him since the new codex?
He has a stat line and saves more or less like a comptemptor dread, and he cant be singled out unless he is the closet because of character keyword.
But what to do with him?
He is kinda slow and can only take 1 gunarm..
I have toyed with the idea of giving him artisian of war on his assault cannon. A BS2+heavy 6 dam 2 ..doenst sound all that bad.
But then the captain or dread libbt wont have that trait..
Anyone got other ideas?

I am a bit torn about him. His stats are decent. But as a pure beatstick the libby dread (with wings and quickening) does a better job. The chappy dread has a buff in close combat, but in order to get i melee you have to move and suffer -1 to hit with the gunarm. then again a bs 2+ twin lascannon with his durability and character status is soo good.

I field him just for fun with the infernus flamer and fist with flamer or Melta.

He didnt see action yet but i´m gonna bring him either via stormraven or Drop Pod (Lucius) in.

I like the look on the model and the 1+ S buff comes in handy if you won´t want to buy an sanguinus priest.

He's a character, no? I think I'd be fine with letting him walk up the board then. Better not put all your eggs into one Stormraven basket and that way you could still take a DC Dread with the Stormraven instead.

With all our Scouts and Deep Strike units we shouldn't have a problem to have a unit closer to the stuff that would want to shoot at him.

I've long since stopped trying to pull of a turn 1 alpha strike with melee units. It's just too unreliable once the enemy has enough stuff in reserves himself or is spamming chaff to bubble wrap his stuff.

However if you really want to have him on the frontline turn 1 then I agree the Lucius pod is the way to go rather than the Stormraven.

Admittedly he isn't as good for BA as he is for Vanilla Marines (mainly because the Libby Dread exists, the buff is redundant w/ Priests, and no Armor Indomitus) but he does have an additional attack base over the Libby and more importantly a 5++ and a 6+ FNP...

I think he makes a good warlord because he's not giving away that slay the warlord point easily.

He's great. Run him with a TL Lascannon as he's a great shot and simply advance with your slower units or guard the backfield.

I've used one many times and he performs great. Very survivable and mean in a fight :-D

Admittedly he's probably more advantageous to an Ultramarine army than BA, especially with the 2+ save relic.

Edited by Ishagu

I have been running him regularly and he does pretty well. I've tried artisan of war assault cannon and found it a tad underwhelming, but that was one match . I've done artisan of war on the twin lascannon for overkill.  Really good caddie for the veritas vitae if you're going to take it. Don't forget about wisdom of the ancients, seeing as you're probably going to have some bubble wrap.