The Winged Swords project

SlickSamos

Welcome to my first attempt at actually logging my work, despite collecting and painting various GW stuff since 2004...

A bit of background about my hobby journey before we get stuck into my latest project...

I started off with a box of Lord of the Rings 'Warriors of the Last Alliance box' which I applied a basic paint job on, and went onto collect large amounts of Uruk-Hai and Riders of Rohan, over the course I can look back at my old models and see how much I improved.

Later on I got into Fantasy with Lizardmen and they are probably now my largest single-faction army across all of the ranges

Then it was 40k with Tau which were great fun :)

However around the 2010 I started collecting Dark Angels - however I then went to University and everything got put on hold... Until now!

+++ Incoming Transmission +++

This is Major Hoffkin of the Vanderhall PDF, location Zeta-296-Beta, the Angels are coming. I repeat, the Angels are coming. Deliverance has come. Hold your ground!

+++ Transmission Ends +++

+++ Archive Request +++

+++ Magos Biologis Neuralis Invictus Acquisitor Ferrous-Zedek +++

+++ Request Adeptus Astartes Genome +++

+++ Binary Code 0100011101011001 +++

+++ Access Granted +++

Primary Gene - XIX Primarch

Secondary Gene(s) - ][ Redacted ][

Creation - Unknown, pre-M34

+++ Request Complete +++

gallery_73420_14060_85396.jpg

And thus the fun begins! First step being re-painted the Dark Vengeance bikes which you can see here.

Scheme is as follows:

Purple - Naggaroth Night, Xereus Purple, Druchii Violet, Xereus Purple

Metal - Leadbelcher, Chainmail, Nuln Oil, Chainmail

Feathers - Ice Blue, Skull White

Wing Frame - Skull White

Wheels - Chaos Black, dry-brushed greys and browns (various)

Leather - Dryad Bark, Bestial Brown (dry-brushed)

Skulls - Bestial Brown, Kommando Khaki, Bleached Bone

So some areas will be done using the old layering way, others the newfangled base-layer-wash-layer way

Feathers are tricky to get right, but once they are done they are really striking

Anyway, that is it for my first log...

Slick Samos

Hi SystemSyn,

I'm keeping the rest of the set as Dark Angels along with the Rhino I painted up. They will now have Purple Ravenwing to fight alongside. It may look a bit weird but we'll see when the purple bikes are done.

I have been planning the project on and off for about three years and I have accumulated a lot generic Space Marine sprues and Dark Angel Veteran / Ravenwing sprues over the past seven years so a large collection to draw on.

As for what is next, it'll either be a Tactical Squad or I'll bring the Biker Squad size up to 6 (the 4th Biker is in the image, in pieces alongside the other Bikers' bodies).

Happy New Year

Slick Samos

Edited by SlickSamos

Tonight's work mainly consisted of Xereus Purple and a second coat of Ice Blue.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll tidy up the metal with a coat of Leadbelcher and then a wash of Durchii Violet should bring out the definition of the model.

After that I will be moving onto the tidying up phase with some careful brushwork along the edges before moving onto detailing...

gallery_73420_14060_100903.jpg

Also I know the pictures aren't great - but once they are finished I'll do some proper pictures for y'all.

Best,

Slick Samos

• 2 weeks later...

And nothing happened for over two weeks...  Oh well.

As of last night I began using a new small brush (quite stiff) and a new pot of Leadbleacher (as opposed to my fairly dead Boltgun Metal) - the combination of two new things at once was  a bit weird...  Leadbleacher needed a lot of thinning to get going but I found the bristles on the new small brush difficult to get used to...

Anyhow, that's my latest update - a bit more silver and the vast majority of Xereus Purple done :)

Slick Samos