Questions about Knights

Frostglaive

Before I begin, I would like to say that I am going into this knowing that Knights aren't all that great. I know I could use the points on more Kastelan Robots or Dragoons or other things that would probably be more effective. But, for the sake of Rule of Cool, I'm using them anyways.

That being said, I recently came into possession of both a Gallant and a Styrix. I already own a Crusader, which I thoroughly enjoy playing. But I want to try out my two new toys.

For the Styrix, I currently don't have the IA index with its rules. And BattleScribe is acting wonky for me again, so I can't look at the stats on there. How useful and effective are they? Say in any game 2,000pts or higher. What are their weapons like? Any targets in particular they should be going for? Really any advice on this one would be great.

As for the Gallant. The oh so wonderful Gallant. The Knight that nobody (that I know) seems to like or think is all that great. I feel like this dude here has some pretty good potential at being a close combat monster. Titanic Feet to crush all the little squishy infantry, Gauntlet to wreck heavy tanks and possibly throw them, Reaper chainsword for... things in between? Something like that. What kind of results have you guys who have used this Knight have you seen? Positive? Good for nothing more than a distraction Carnifex?

Any advice or input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Please delete if posting this datasheet is against forum rules .

You can add the Imperial Knights to battlescribe its just not super logical as to how ,   Add  Imperial Knights  V6 "  as an unbound army  force org this will let you pick all the sexy knights

Edited by synthaside

Spot on with the Gallant. Rush it forward and use it as a distraction. Don't expect it to win you the game, because outside of a couple special circumstances it won't. (Kind of a general rule for Knights in 8th, but the Gallant especially)

The Stryix, along with anything else Volkite, came out the other side pretty weak, comparatively. It's weapons are still respectable.

Volkite Chieorovile: 45" Heavy 5 s8 ap-3 dD6, Wound roll of +6 causes an additional Hit

It's nothing to scoff at, you'll mostly be using it to take care of medium-heavy infantry and light vehicles. Beyond that it's kinda meh. Can't deal super effectively against heavy armor, can't deal with infantry blobs. In close combat, the Hekton Claw and Stompy-Stomp level out these weaknesses, respectively.

TLDR: Stryix is pretty niche, could do well against some lists, but overall is pricey and honestly meh.

The styrix's gun is fine for heavy armor. It's still wounding a land raider on 4s for d6 damage. It's only slightly weaker than a lascannon.

As for battlescribe, it doesn't have to be unbound. The super heavy auxiliary detachment works just fine for me.

With the gallant, to get any mileage out of it you have to play it very aggressively. Depending on what your opponent has, that might require a lot of cover fire. My last game my opponent had something like 18 lascannon so even my knight that hid didn't last long.

I think the Gallant works best played in a larger force of IKs, which is tough anyway because torrent of fire and AT are so strong right now.  If you took one or two of them to rush the opponent's lines and chop up priority targets or clear out large units with big stompy feet, this would free your shooty units to do their work.  The problem here is getting those Gallants into combat with any semblance of fighting prowess left, as simply going second can be massively detrimental to their health.  AdMech Strategems may be able to help, here (repair or otherwise) but it's an uphill battle these days.  One thing to consider is taking the carapace weapon for your Gallants to give them just a splash of shooting, though this does sort of defeat the cost saving measures that these IK variants imply.

The Styrix is the most cost effektive FW knight atm i think..

It is the cheapest knight to get 4++ vs shooting.

Its main gun arm is pretty much like the other kights once you mathhammer it..

but the secret sauce is the Twin rad- cleanser.. 2d6 autohits damage 3!.. that always wounds on 3+(-tanks and titans).  its great vs stuff like primarchs that seem to be everywhere.