Is an All Primaris army viable for us?

I'm thinking could get 3 detachments fairly easy...

A battalion with Captain, Librarian, and 3 5man Intercessors, 2 5man hellblasters...

A vanguard with ancient, 2 10man Reivers and maybe an Apoth and LT.

And then an Outrider with another LT and 3 squads of Inceptors (1 with plasma).

All roughly 2000 points.

So we can do shooty at medium range and short range, board control with Inceptors and Reivers, and the Reivers can punch pretty hard too. No long range support and no transports.

Question is, how do our character buffs fit into primaris lists and can a full primaris army compete at this time?

I think the Primaris units are strong but they are lacking in anti-tank and Jump Pack melee units. They are certainly viable for casual and semi-competetive games but a full primaris isn't the strongest list we can play.

With no Transports, you only fast moving units are those Inceptors. While they are nice, they are easily targeted and as such, can leave you struggling for remote Objectives or Line Breaker.

Hellblasters are great and I love mine but I am not sure they can fulfill your anti-tank/MC by themselves.

I think you lose everything that a BA army brings; ferocious close combat and fast-moving jump troops. Sure you can have some reivers or some jump pack primaris guys, but I think you lose out on so many other things, namely DC/SG, and JP chaplains/librarians.

I almost think a much better army would be DA for primaris. They get that whole plasma stratagem that looks nasty.

I'm actually super jealous of that DA plasma stratagem since with D3 overcharged hellblaster could easily do the job of a Lascannon team.

Aye, combined with Grim Resolve, quite possibly one of the best shooting units in the game now...

Add on Azrael for a 4++ & full re-rolls, then an Apothecary to top them up and hot damn!

It's one of the things that makes me want that "Angels of Death" build, but CP is already stretched.

I play pure BA primaris and have done since 8th. I've enjoyed them so far, And they've gotten better with point drops and our rules thrown on top.

I honestly don't miss death company (but I've never used many of them even as far back as 3rd ed).

Reivers for us are actually pretty good as they have a lot of attacks which fits in nicely with our rules. One thing I would suggest though, is that a sanguinary priest (Or better yet, corbulo) is better than a primaris apothecary because the grail actually is very helpful on an army where every model has multiple attacks.. corbulo is also fluffy as he's expressly noted for fighting alongside the primaris to monitor them

I play pure BA primaris and have done since 8th. I've enjoyed them so far, And they've gotten better with point drops and our rules thrown on top.

I honestly don't miss death company (but I've never used many of them even as far back as 3rd ed).

Reivers for us are actually pretty good as they have a lot of attacks which fits in nicely with our rules. One thing I would suggest though, is that a sanguinary priest (Or better yet, corbulo) is better than a primaris apothecary because the grail actually is very helpful on an army where every model has multiple attacks.. corbulo is also fluffy as he's expressly noted for fighting alongside the primaris to monitor them

How many units of Reivers and Inceptors are you running and what size? Also where do you utilize the SP or Corbulo?

i've been using 3 units of inceptors (2 with assault bolters and 1 with plasma) a bit recently, the mobility is good, they're quite fragile so they need to be used carefully, but primaris lists rely on CP less but can still generate quite a few, which means upon wings of fire is decent.

I've only been running a single 10 man unit of reivers, I could technically run two smaller ones (I have 13 models) but haven't tried it yet. vs MEQ they do surprisingly well if used at the right time, purely because weight of attacks coupled with our easier chance to wound really shines. I've not played vs Chaos, but I think they'd do better there because chaos do not have ATSKNF.

The sanguinary priest comment is pure speculation currently, i've not tried it! (I might this weekend) but I think it would make any of the primaris units quite dangerous to charge and make them into fairly dangerous counter charge units too. A JP priest might be good with reivers too.

I've been wanting to try this out, but lack the models to do full primaris. I'm not a huge fan of the Gravis Captain in general but I can't lie, artisan of war on that master-crafted power sword does have some appeal. He's slow, but he's also got five attacks base and the red thirst. Maybe a foot slogging gun line with an ancient w/relic banner and a priest/corbs. Transports might be better but you'd either need a JP priest or a separate ride for corbs. 

You just don't have the anti tank/monster capability.

If that isn't a concern in your meta, maybe?

But good luck trying to face down an army full of T7+ models when your only source of multidamage weapons is the repulsor and overcharged plasma.

It won't go very well.

For example, space wolf list I played against that was super nasty, ran Bjorn+2 blizzard shield dreadnoughts as his bodyguard, 3 squads of plasma grey hunters in rhinos, thunderwolves with stormshields, and 2 predators for fire support.

This was at around 75 power.

Every target in that army is threatening, and all require multidamage weapons to deal with quickly and efficiently. (Since you have to pop the rhinos to get at the grey hunters)

I struggled with killing it all, and I had a half dozen meltaguns spread about, a lascannon dev squad, twin las contemptor dreadnought, DC squad decked out with hammers, and a predator with autocannon/las.

An army relying pretty much entirely on a few squads worth of plasma is going to get demolished in that kind of matchup.