Lamentors test figure : Yay or Nay

micahwc

Use some of the appropriately-named Lamenters Yellow glaze?

I honestly haven't figured out how that works. I put it on and it doesn't seem to do anything. I get my best results with Seraphim Sepia.

It doesn't really give colour itself, except over white. It's more used to blend together and strengthen existing tones.

Good start in terms of technique, colour transitions and shadow/highlight placement.

I would suggest a few things, in terms of the actual painting:

1) Push your contrast further. Earlier comment about it being a “primed Marine” are utterly silly, but you definitely want a higher level of contrast between your highs and lows.

2) Consider your light source on the front of the model. I think you want to add a fair amount of highlighting to the front grill on his faceplate and to the “swell” on his chest.

In terms of the colours:

1) I agree with others that the colour isn’t what I would normally associate with Lamenters, but then if you look at Blood Angels, they range in colour from near pink through orange to brown, and everything in between. Personally, I’d look to use some GW Lamenters Yellow with a touch of Scale 75 Inktense Yellow to really raise the saturation of the yellow, but don’t feel you have to change the colour if it matches what you wanted in your head.

2) Careful selection of your basing will be quite important if you keep the colour as it is. Because so many base themes use very neutral colours, you want to be careful that the base and the model don’t meld together when they’re finished.

Hope that helps!

Heya, agree that it's looking a bit more beige than yellow at the moment, which is fine if that's what you're going for!

The brown shading is also swamping out the beige a little - I'd start it lower down. Good luck on your crusade!