We Remember - Loyalist EC in the 41st Millenium

Stofficus

Hello all, first PLOG 'round these parts, so do be gentle. 

First, a little background; I'm a longtime IG player looking to focus on something other than Guard for a while, as I'm presently an army officer, and for some reason my passion to look at little plastic soldiers in my free time feels a touch too much like work. (though the temptation to model IG models after troublesome Sgts is, at times, quite tempting)

Marines offer something still reasonably grounded (I'm very much a hard sci-fi kind of person), but still outlandish enough as to feel like a proper diversion - but the question then was what flavour of marines? The heresy was a passion of mine, but with it left in 7th my motivation there too was quite low. 

What I settled on was a sort of combined interest; putting my already established 30k force to use (loyalist EC) in the 40k setting, while from a narrative standpoint exploring one of the more interesting subjects the new fluff has raised, though yet to address; what does one with memory of what the Imperium was founded on do when confronted with the grim reality of the 41st millenium? My favourite blurb to come out of the new fluff (which I mostly find rather hackneyed and comic-bookish to be honest) was Guilliman's reflection on what he was awoken to - and wishing that perhaps Horus had won the heresy and put us all out of our misery. 

Development since the Gathering Storm was seemingly minimized Guilliman's misgivings on the present 40k - but what about another such element which may have survived up until the 41st millenium, hiding its true nature in secrecy, and takes the Great Rift and the coming of a Primarch as a sign to embrace those ideals it has kept hidden up until that point, perhaps a chapter with traitor legion roots, kept alive by the chapter leadership like a reverse Dark Angels. Lucky for me, HH IV: Conquest alludes to there being one such group - the Death Eagles, nominally RG successors from an old IA in the early 1990s, but named as being the 38th Millenial of the Emperor's Children, returning from a long-ranging crusade to find their legion a twisted shadow of their former selves, and throw themselves onto the anvil of war, refusing to abandon their legion colours. 

So, I had a chapter with explicit origins in the Heresy, without being one of the conventional First Founding chapters, and happened to be from my favourite Legion (I'm a French perfectionist, what choice did I have but the IIIrd?), for which I already had a respectable collection and had minimal development by GW proper. 

So, with one winding preamble out of the way, fluff-bomb incoming. 

cFkv51T.png

Such are the words inscribed on the most sacred, if such a word can be used, relic of the chapter of the Adeptus Astartes once known as the "Death Eagles." For the whole of Imperial history of which the chapter was known, nothing remarkable was noted. Never once did the agents of the Inquisition suspect terrible secrets, never once did the servants of the Adeptus Mechanicus on Mars suspect anything was amiss with their tithe of gene seed, never once did the truth of their origin, of their nature, or their ideals come to light until such time when all seemed darkest.

The conclusion of the 41st Millenium brought about perhaps the most tumultous period of Imperial history; the Great Rift, the return of the Primarch of the XIIIth, the emergence of one Archmagos Belisarious Cawl and his, to the Adeptus Mechanicus, near-heretic ideas about technology, the destruction of Cadia and so many other small tragedies as to be beyond counting. 

To the Death Eagles chapter, long isolated on the fringes of Ultima Segmentum, now caught deep within "Imperium Nihlus," cut off from Imperial leadership, support or even awareness, it was an opportunity and a calling; now was the time to reveal a secret more powerful than any weapon: a truth. The Imperial Truth. 

This chapter, long reckoned a 2nd founding chapter of the Raven Guard, had kept within their possession a most rare thing; a full accounting of the events of the mythic Horus Heresy, and a record of their own actions stretching further back still: to the dream of Unity, and of a battle cry not seen on the field of battle since time immemorial, "Children of the Emperor, death to His foes!"

In truth, this force was once the 38th Millenial of the IIIrd legion, and by fluke of fate had avoided the damnation of their parent legion, caught far beyond the leading edge of the Great Crusade, and returned to find the Age of Darkness well underway. Rejecting the perversion of their legion, and their gene-sire, this force of 6000 legionnaires threw themselves into the fires of war, harrying traitor forces behind the main axis of advance for the duration of the crusade, and spared the overzealous justice of The Scouring by the patronage of Corvus Corax, the primarch of the much-depleted Raven Guard. 

Given a convincing enough public adjustment of their origins, and dispatched to the furthest reaches of the shattered Imperium, the newly christened chapter committed most of their nature to secrecy, waiting for such a time as the Imperium, already wrapping itself in the comforting embrace of ignorance and superstition, might need the arms and ideals of the once noble IIIrd.  And so they waited, generation after generation.

With the Imperium plunged into darkness, but with the knowledge that one who knew such truths as they directed what remained from far-off Terra, the Lord Commander of the Chapter threw off the shackles of secrecy, unlocked stasis vaults of venerable arms not seen in 10,000 years, and set about rebuilding the Legion of which he was the true inheritor of.

========================================================

Like so many of the better PLOGs I've seen here, I plan on expanding the fluff with more developed, detailed content based on units I'm working on, or in reaction to narrative battles I play out with my army against my varied opponents. 

So you've got the general gist; traitor-origin chapter aware of its origins, far from Terra, and uses its isolation, combined with the fact that Guilliman and Cawl have opened the door to a great deal of once unconventional, or downright "heretical" information and ideas to be legitimized, to openly throw off its adopted identity - along with the Codex Astartes and most other forms of what it views as restrictions by an illegitimate corrupt system embodied by the Imperial Cult and pre-Gathering Storm Imperial government. 

This is, of course, only possible due to the fact that basically no one outside of a stone-throw away, in galactic terms, would have any idea what they're doing due to Imperium Nihlus being cut off and out of communication - and based on how 40k's fluff develops, I can develop concurrently should they hopefully explore the idea of Guilliman and Cawl's reforms more thoroughly. 

For the look of the army, it's going to be more or less pure 30k look - expect lots of Mk IV and III armour, Contemptors and so on in the colours of the IIIrd - the vaults of the past unleashed against the present. Due to being cut off, don't expect any Primaris or other "new" models. 

Crunch wise, I struggled for a long time to find a PA codex which would let run an army in a way that felt suitably "30k," which to me is mostly infantry with lots of customized or specialized units with Dread and Landraider support. Once I settled on trying to actually "fluff up" 30k models being used en masse as a kind of vault of ancient tech unlocked/renaissance of lost knowledge, one 'dex stood out among the rest; Deathwatch, of all things. With completely customizable infantry units, vet stat lines and special-issue ammo, it fit the bill for a force which has abandoned the codex, is not chaotic, and is wielding extremely advanced, rare tech. 

Granted, I'll likely look to other 'dexes as I develop alternate lists, as DW has some pretty clear restrictions, but that's the glory of marines, isn't it?

Photos will be coming in a couple of days - I'm in the midst of moving, but I'll leave you all with my starting 2k list, and am open to feedback on any front; how should I develop the force's fluff, what other lists might work with this theme, modelling/conversion ideas - the more the merrier. 

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Deathwatch) [120 PL, 1787pts] ++

+ Heavy Support +

Land Raider [19 PL, 347pts]: 2x Twin Lascannons, Twin heavy bolter

+ HQ +

Librarian [6 PL, 103pts]: 2) Might of Heroes, 6) Null Zone, Force stave, Plasma pistol

Watch Master [7 PL, 130pts]: Bane of Monstrosities, Warlord

+ Elites +

Dreadnought [7 PL, 134pts]: Assault cannon
. Dreadnought combat weapon w/Storm Bolter: Storm bolter

Relic Contemptor Dreadnought [13 PL, 210pts]
. Dreadnought melee weapon: Dreadnought chainfist, Storm bolter
. Multi-melta

+ Troops +

Deathwatch Kill Team [14 PL, 236pts]
. Black Shield: Bolt Pistol, Thunder hammer
. Deathwatch Terminator: Lightning Claw (Pair)
. Deathwatch Vanguard Veteran: Plasma pistol, Power lance
. Deathwatch Veteran: Flamer, Lightning Claw
. Deathwatch Veteran: Flamer, Power fist
. Deathwatch Veteran: 2x Chainsword
. Watch Sergeant: Plasma pistol, Power sword

Deathwatch Kill Team [20 PL, 242pts]
. Deathwatch Terminator w/ Heavy Weapon: Heavy flamer, Power sword
. Deathwatch Vanguard Veteran: Bolt Pistol, Power lance
. Deathwatch Veteran: Boltgun, Chainsword
. Deathwatch Veteran: Boltgun, Power sword
. Watch Sergeant: Boltgun, Power sword

Deathwatch Kill Team [20 PL, 290pts]
. Deathwatch Terminator
. . Chainfist and Stormbolter: Chainfist, Storm bolter
. Deathwatch Vanguard Veteran: Bolt Pistol, Power lance
. Deathwatch Veteran: Chainsword, Combi-plasma
. Watch Sergeant: Boltgun, Power sword

Deathwatch Kill Team [9 PL, 107pts]
. Deathwatch Veteran: Boltgun
. Watch Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Power fist

Deathwatch Kill Team [9 PL, 99pts]
. Watch Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Power sword

Deathwatch Kill Team [9 PL, 99pts]
. Watch Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Power sword

++ Total: [133 PL, 1997pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

For the last three squads with only "boltguns" listed, I just didn't bother going through and adding a chainsword to each one manually. 

Expect photos of what I currently have together this weekend from a furniture-less apartment, where the only decor is my 1982 pattern green sleeping bag, my laptop, camera, phone and a backpack full of space marines.

• 10 months later...

So, I made this thread a while ago, and, well, I have the unique pleasure of being employed in a profession altogether too much like the Imperial Guard for most people's comfort. 

That being said, I haven't dropped this idea - in fact I've been plugging along on painting and building quite a bit, in spurts mind you, in between having my dear colleagues throwing dynamite at me while I attempt to run them over with 35 ton armoured vehicles, all in the name of good training. 

First, because human interest loves the visual, a compiled picture dump that some of you may have seen posted elsewhere around the B&C: 

MG 7290

Some of my legionnaires have been painted across fairly diverse timescales and locales - the ones with brown base rims were done up in Paris, France while the back rimmed ones were done in Vancouver, Canada. We'll see how many others parts of the world the hobby muse might take me. 

MG 7288

MG 7287

MG 7286

MG 7285

MG 7284

MG 7283

MG 7277

Sorcerer, Lord, Sergeant - this model is downright Alpha Legion in its proclivities to live multiple lives. As I get more models completed and painted, I want to keep their roles more consistent - this one is likely to end up an Exalted Champion/Lieutenant, depending on the 'dex used. 

MG 7276

Once a Champion of the IIIrd legion upon the battefields of Isstvan III, the lack of cataphractii & volkite rules for C:CSM has limited this model's time in the "modern" era. 

MG 7275

The historic Lord Commander, Alexios Komnenus (I do so like the underdog reconquest stories in history) - has a remarkable history on the tabletops of the 31st millenium, but I have yet to find a niche for this model in the 41st. The present Lord Commander is something a bit more...ambitious, which will be a project of mine over the holidays perhaps. 

MG 7270

Originally a conversion for a counts-as Lucius the Eternal, his mediocre rules have since relegated this model, as fond of it as I am, to a backfield buff lord rather than an aggressive fighter. Should the Emperor's Children get their own codex, he may find a new lease on life. 

He did successfully duel and kill a Smashcaptain this weekend though with nothing but his power sword upgrade, so clearly he desires more to life.

MG 7269

MG 7268

MG 7266

One snippet that always nags at me from the Horus Heresy publications from both the Black Library and Forgeworld is that Rylanor the Unyielding's fate is always left unexplained. When even Loken is risen from the dead, the very soul of the IIIrd legion is sent to guard some critical bunker or asset on Isstvan III by Saul Tarvitz, and we never hear from him again. 

Into this void, I choose my own explanation: 

Left buried in the rubble of dying Isstvan III by Horus's final bombardment of that first battlefield of betrayal, Rylanor the Unyielding, an icon of of the IIIrd's glory days, and once more an icon of their defiance in the wake of the Isstvan III Atrocity, would spend months with nothing but ash for company. His sarcophagus would be recovered by the 38th Millennial of his once beloved legion as they searched for answers upon discovering the horror of full-blown civil war. 

He would lend his experience, and perhaps more importantly, his position as a living icon - the very first bearer of the Palatine Aquila - to those few hobbled loyalists of the IIIrd for the duration of the heresy. In the millennia to come, he would pass the years in stasis, awoken only in times of crisis by the various Lord Commanders of the Death Eagles to ask a single question - "Is now the time to take up the torch of Truth once more?"

Each time - the War of the Beast, the Age of Apostasy, the Nova Terra Interregnum, the arrival of the Tyranids - the Ancient would caution patience for the Imperium was not yet ready to face its own past, but with the galaxy cut in twain, and the very fate of Mankind hanging in the balance, the Ancient's answer would change, and would march once more among the ranks of his legion, lest darkness fall.

As he has thus far won me a few games by crushing vile xenos beneath his tread, I believe this explanation has pleased his model-spirits. 

MG 7257

The Leviathan Siege Dreadnought, in spite of its popularity on the tabletop, is supposed to be a incredibly rare piece of equipment that ends up destroying the marine piloting it over time. To recognize that fact, I set out to make my Leviathan fairly rough and worn compared to the rest of my parade-ground-perfect legion, thinking of him as another veteran of the Heresy kept in stasis - lest the Inquistion wonder what such an offshoot "chapter" is doing with priceless relics, and woken to face a universe he despises, with only his contempt and desire to see the dystopian Imperium and the many threats to humanity cast down - preferably with his own cannons - keeping him ahead of the dreadnought's own destructive effects on the human mind. 

MG 7255

This is the core of the army I have been playing with for a few months now on and off with quite a bit of success. The crunch is as follows:

Codex: Chaos Space Marines (I know, but to get that legion "feel," the loyalist books just don't cut it right now)

1 Battalion, Emperor's Children

3x Noise Marines squads, 2x blastmasters, remainder sonic blasters, Sgt w/ power sword
1x HB Havoc squad
Lord w/ Power sword
Sorcerer w/ force axe & jump pack (not pictured yet)
Leviathan Siege Dreadnought, dual butcher cannons

1 Vanguard, World Eaters (again, I know - but by the Emperor is the legion trait for the IIIrd bad)

1x Jump Lord, Murder Sword, plasma pistol (not pictured)
3x Contemptors, loadouts as per photos

It's a 2k point army I've been able to smash through Eldar, Blood Angels, Harlequins, Tyranids, Necrons and most other things with some consistent success - and most importantly, aesthetically it's still strongly Great Crusade. 

However, I've gotten a bit bored of its current iteration, and am looking to experiment - I have an enormous number of unbuilt marines, and have managed to pick up a fairly diverse selection of bits to work from. 

Beyond that, though, is I want to continue a bit of a narrative exploration - because of my work, I have to move around a fair bit, and while finding games and groups of 40k players isn't especially hard anywhere between BC/California and Poland, not having a consistent group of people for long means I lack the consistency, and traditions of being part of an established group. By doing my own narrative exposition here, I hope to build something of the sort to keep my hobby mojo going, and bounce some ideas and refine them as a thought experiment off the fine frater of the B&C. 

So, what do I intend on doing next? I have a few more completed models for the army I'd like to get some good macro shots of, and a handful of units I'd like to finish painting, but I also want to develop this idea of a micro-setting within 40k; not unlike the excellent Velsen Sector PLOG (if you haven't checked it out, get on that), and try to develop what a subsector of Imperium Nihlus might be like under the direction of some patrons of the Imperial Truth. 

For starters, I happen to have a considerable, and considerably diverse, Imperial Guard collection I intend to weave into my little pocket universe, who I intend on detailing in the near future as I am in the middle of moving....again. 

I like where this is going. Good job of blowing the dust off the thread.

However:

One snippet that always nags at me from the Horus Heresy publications from both the Black Library and Forgeworld is that Rylanor the Unyielding's fate is always left unexplained. When even Loken is risen from the dead, the very soul of the IIIrd legion is sent to guard some critical bunker or asset on Isstvan III by Saul Tarvitz, and we never hear from him again.

Well... About that....

WARNING: SPOILERS FOR SONS OF THE EMPEROR: THE ANCIENT AWAITS

Seriously, major spoilers. But then again, the title and the fact that I'm responding to a comment about a character CALLED Ancient should make it obvious what this is going to be.

The Thousand Sons have been on the Planet of Sorcerers for a couple of centuries, and a couple of millennia have passed by outside of the warp. Magnus dispatches three of his Sons to a dead world where something is lying and waiting to be discovered. Upon landing on this unknown world they find it to be truly dead, all life completely wiped from it in an age past. Searching through the rubble they find the first clue of who was here, a spent bolt casing manufactured for the World Eaters.

They delve further into the heart of the planet, and find an old Imperial compound from back of the time of the Great Crusade, the only visible structure despite having large portions caved in by the mass of the planet above. In a largely intact hangar bay they find the body of an Astartes Dreadnought buried under the rubble, with all identification eroded away from the passage of time.

The planet is Isstvan III, and the area the Thousand Sons have been passing through is the remains of the Choral City. The dreadnought in the hangar bay is the remains of Ancient Rylanor of the Emperors Children, and on closer inspection is just on the brink of life after being buried underground for the past couple of thousand years. Some of the Kakophani were sent after the virus bombing to clear any remaining loyalist elements, but the Ancient was able to defeat them and use their equipment to send out a warp beacon that drew the attention of Magnus the Red.

However, his intended target was the Phoenican himself, who has now appeared on the other side of the hangar. Rylanor finally has the opportunity to lambast Fulgrim, to denounce everything he's done to the Legion, the Imperium and the Emperor. Fulgrim takes great pleasure in encircling the prone Ancient, reveling in what the remains of the Legion have become since the beginning of the Heresy. The Thousand Sons try not to intervene in what is happening, but can't help but notice that the body of the Ancient is covering something, something that Fulgrim has not yet spotted.

The Ancient has one last trick up his sleeve, an undetonated virus bomb to use against his Primarch and claim some degree of vengeance for the purging of the loyalist elements of the Legion. The Raptora within the group manages to get a kine shield in place over the bomb so that the life-eater virus is contained, preventing the death of everyone in the hangar. Fulgrim gives Rylanor a final chance to rejoin the legion, and to be made flesh again in any body of his choosing, to which Rylanor declines. Tapping away with his claws on the Ancient's sarcophagus, Fulgrim let's Rylanor know that this isn't a deal that can be turned down and one way or another he's going to be brought back to the Legion regardless, as he eventually cracks open the contemptor body and brings what physical remains of Rylanor onto the hangar floor. The Athenian in the group feels the absolute horror in Rylanor as he comprehends the fate he's about to endure, and psychically sends across to the Phoenican that the Ancient deserves better, as he draws his bolt pistol and shoots his Raptora brother in the head - ending the kine shield and engulfing the hangar in the life-eater virus, ending the lives of everyone there and leaving Fulgrim empty handed.

Credit to m_r_parker for posting the summaries I've put here

A fine enough send-off, but that's one of my issues with the HH book series - there's too many points left off into little novellas that might get completely overlooked. The story bloat that happened midway through the series meant there was just too much going on to get covered in any truly satisfactory, or succinct, way. 

But I digress, as I've already gone through the trouble of building and painting the model, and having him crush no small number of xenos, I shall go with the old standby of "I reject your reality and substitute my own," or, in a more fair take, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to say that since his fate would be unknown to all but one living entity, an enterprising dreadnought might choose to take up the mantle for himself, knowing the importance of symbols, and becoming a persona of sorts adopted over time, the truth a secret to the wider audience - something fans of comic books will no doubt be well aware of as a popular trope there. 

A fine enough send-off, but that's one of my issues with the HH book series - there's too many points left off into little novellas that might get completely overlooked. The story bloat that happened midway through the series meant there was just too much going on to get covered in any truly satisfactory, or succinct, way. 

But I digress, as I've already gone through the trouble of building and painting the model, and having him crush no small number of xenos, I shall go with the old standby of "I reject your reality and substitute my own," or, in a more fair take, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to say that since his fate would be unknown to all but one living entity, an enterprising dreadnought might choose to take up the mantle for himself, knowing the importance of symbols, and becoming a persona of sorts adopted over time, the truth a secret to the wider audience - something fans of comic books will no doubt be well aware of as a popular trope there. 

Yeah. The worse part is you only find that out in a limited edition anthology that has no release date outside of being from the Black Library weekender.

That being said, your idea is a pretty good idea as well. Do that, yes. :tu:

• 2 weeks later...

You know what happens when the army tries to administer moving a mere 165km?

A dumpster fire, that's what happens. 

As I will be hobby supply free for a couple of days at the least, I figure'd I'd jump into some of my headcanon/fluff which underpins my force, and what I intend on expanding it with. 

Thus, without further ado, I present to you the Heraklean Sector, in words only for the time being due to my PC with all the fancy gubbins and whatnots also being in a box....somewhere. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

Heraklean Sector Overview

Ultima Segmentum

Imperium Nihlus

Capital: Soisson

Distance from Terra: 22,000 ly

The Heraklean Sector lies at the very fringes of the galaxy itself, comprising a sector of space only lightly touched by the fabric of creation. Solar systems are generally separated by wide gulfs, with few notable clusters of inhabitable systems and worlds. The great Imperial institutions have only lightly touched these worlds - the sector is home to relatively few notable Forge Worlds, and only three full scale Hive Worlds - the beating hearts of Imperial civilization. 

Of these worlds, the sector lay claim to a few small wonders;

-   Soissons, the capital, is a hive of transcendent beauty and sophistication - its structures defined by their sweeping inlaid reliefs of Imperial history, vast domes of glass and as much light, both natural and artificial, as Imperial science could produce, then embellish, and then decide that the previous generation was not ambitious enough with its architectural artistry and redesign buildings - even whole hives in the pursuit of something grander. This behaviour has long since filtered down to the lowest levels of society - where even cafe owners constantly vy to out-do one another on culinary sophistication. Such relentless lack of respect of the calcified tradition of Imperial worlds coreward would likely have been stamped out by the Ecclesiarchy millennia ago, were it not for the protection, and even enthusiastic participation therein, by the world's resident fortress-monastery of the Death Eagles chapter of the Adeptus Astartes. 

-   The Tyrian Void mines represent the industrial backbone of the sector - an entire star system's volume of planets destroyed by some unknown prehistoric cataclysm - their worlds rent open to the void, magnetic fields destroyed and utterly uninhabitable, but exceptionally lucrative. The system is a hub of mining and refining activity, centered on a massive pre-Imperial station complex which was originally home to the Tyrian Confederacy, an entirely void-based human civilization which arose during the Age of Strife. These ancient structures have since been ensconced in a myriad of berths, forges and habitation units, and a constant hive of vessels great and small plundering the seemingly inexhaustible wealth of the system. Reports of nearby barren systems being suddenly stripped of assayed resources have always been met with innocent, confused glances by the Tyrian ruling families.The Tyrian people, today, are fabulously wealthy, and provide the means for nearly every industrial project in the sector, and no small amount of the sector's naval personnel. 

-   While the presence of the Adeptus Mechanicus is less dominant than most in the Heraklean Sector, it is, like most aspects of this faraway place, quite distinct from the norm. While there are several perfectly mundane outposts of the Adeptus Mechanicus, their crown jewel is anything but - the Forgeworld of Quintus Shaw, a mighty shipyard and forge of rare and powerful aspects of the Machine God, is not even a terrestrial world - but a gas giant. In a display of engineering hubris, the Mechanicum of the Great Crusade chose to establish a complex to rival the pre-human Port Maw in the swirling He-3 rich clouds of Quintus Shaw. While the initial work was impressive, drawing on resources and rare elements seemingly unique to the gas giant, the entire original engineering team was killed by virus weaponry unleashed by the traitor XIVth. Only in M34 would the Priests of Mars rediscover their lost work, sunken deep into the clouds and attempt its completion. To this day, it remains, officially, a work in progress, but its production output continues to increase in quantity and sophistication, its proud enginseers declaring that when the forge is truly finished, even Holy Mars will take note of its power, for the stars will bend to their will. 

Most worlds of the sector, however, follow a similar pattern; hard worlds, whether by nature of by some past cataclysm, mined, farmed or simply peopled due to the demands of the Imperium. However, a similar pervading theme touches all the worlds of the sector - to aspire to be larger, grander and more sophisticated than fate would seemingly allow of them. Agri-worlds raise regiments of immaculate soldiers with impeccable drill and drive, industrial outposts craft sculptures which fetch a prince's sum on civilized worlds, and the aboard the shipping vessels small and mighty, the smooth melodies of fine music cover the thrum of engines old and worn, or finely crafted. Ambition seemingly infects the very stars.  

All of this, however, only truly came to be at the grace of millennia of peace with which to work. Shielded by distance from the Occulis Terriblis, shielded from internal dissent by a well-oiled military machine which in many cases can draw its origins to the Exercetus Imperialis, the Expeditionary Fleets of the Great Crusade, and shielded from lurking horrors in the void by ceaseless watch of the sector's fleets and its more exceptional defenders, the Adeptus Astartes. 

Or, should one be of a more pessimistic inclination, by chance - no Tyranid fleet of any consequence has threatened the sector, no mighty WAAAAGH!, no Black Crusade or even the periods of Imperial instability - from Nova Terra to the Age of Apostasy - has threatened the shores of the worlds of the Heraklean sector. With the exception of the occasional attempt at planetary revolution, or Rogue Trader whom has supped too long at the ambition which drives these stars, no conflict of note has threatened the prosperity of the sector. 

At least, so it was until the heavens themselves were cut in twain, and the seemingly forgotten specter of Old Night came to haunt the worlds of humanity once more. 

---------------------------

tune in next time for either:

a)  I have acquired my boxes of stuff, and will have actual WIPs to post (most likely)

b )I have acquired my proper computer, but not my hobby stuff, so pictures, maps, art I've referenced for inspiration and such (less likely)

c ) a picture of me, in front of a burning moving company, dancing happily (least likely, but most satisfying)

Archived