Contemptor Dreads in a Deathwing list?

Fluff-wise, the only Unforgiven I can see in a Contemptor are going to be “venerable” ones - likely Deathwing (possibly Ravenwing, but they don’t really move fast enough) or Inner Circle. Anyone else seems like they would only be a candidate for a standard Dread.

Rules-wise, I think you’d have to use that Strat that gives Dreads the Deathwing keyword (off the top of my head, would have to confirm actual wording). No experience here with a MM-DCCW Contemptor.

Edit: Yes, you'd be able to use the Inner Circle Strat - 1CP gives a Dark Angels Dreadnought (which the Contemptor is, as is the Redemptor, actually) the Deathwing keyword and grants the Inner Circle ability.

The only real benefit of becoming deathwing for dreadnoughts or land raiders I guess are if you have Belial nearby anyways. But yeah, burning 1 CP to make a contemptor reroll failed to hit IF within 6" of Belial is not exactly jawdropping...

Cheers guys.

I am thinking of painting up two of them in good old DW colours. I'm more inclined to go for the AC-Fist combo, now that I have realised it is a S7 weapon rather than the S6 of the standard AC. I wouldn't really be using the Inner Circle jobbie with them.

My list is going to be a pair of Vanguard Detachments (Azrael giving +1CP) for a total of 6CP. Comes to dead on 2000pts.

Azrael

Ezekial

Cataphractii Squad with Lightning Claws

Deathwing Ancient with TH/SS

Deathwing Apothecary

Land Raider Crusader with MM

(All above HQ/Elites inside)

Contemptor Dread with Fist/AC

Contemptor Dread with Fist/AC

Deepstriking with

Belial

Deathwing Knights

Deathwing Ancient with Lightning Claws

Deathwing Apothecary

I second the double kheres on a contemptor. Except as far as my battlescribe is concerned, that is only possible on the FW contemptors, not the codex (non mortis / relic) variant. Don't have the codex with me, so cannot check atm.

I second the double kheres on a contemptor. Except as far as my battlescribe is concerned, that is only possible on the FW contemptors, not the codex (non mortis / relic) variant. Don't have the codex with me, so cannot check atm.

Yep, only possible with the FW Index. Works on both the Contemptor Mortis or the Relic Contemptor.

Yeah, you don’t really need rerolls on 2+.

Rerroling 3s more like since weapons are heavy. I spend a CP for Leviathan to run him with DW keyword, worthwhile next to Belial.

If you're rerolling more than 1s on a full-effectiveness Leviathan, you are playing rerolls wrong. Rerolls happen before modifiers, so no matter how many -1s that Leviathan is shooting with, it can still only reroll 1s, as 2+ is considered successful for rerolls and are then modified with the -1s.

The only time full rerolls pop up with Leviathans is when they are derped or are firing in Overwatch.

Yeah, you don’t really need rerolls on 2+.

Rerroling 3s more like since weapons are heavy. I spend a CP for Leviathan to run him with DW keyword, worthwhile next to Belial.

If you're rerolling more than 1s on a full-effectiveness Leviathan, you are playing rerolls wrong. Rerolls happen before modifiers, so no matter how many -1s that Leviathan is shooting with, it can still only reroll 1s, as 2+ is considered successful for rerolls and are then modified with the -1s.

The only time full rerolls pop up with Leviathans is when they are derped or are firing in Overwatch.

oh i guess my whole meta is playing wrong then

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/warhammer_40000_designers_commentary_en-1.pdf

It's the 5th question if you want to have a resource to bring to your playing group. Unfortunately, that serves as a nerf for SMs, as it cuts into our rerolls precipitously.

Edited by Brother-Captain Sharp