Stormtalon loadout

Karhedron

I have a pair of Stormtalons that I plan to run alongside my Stormraven (basically the old Stormwing formation) and I am mulling over what loadout for them. I could stick with heavy bolters for anti-infantry work but the Assault Cannons already fill that niche and I am planning on running a squad of Inceptors too. Typhoons and Skyhammer missiles look a bit anaemic so I was wondering if Lascannons for solid anti-tank would work.

The Stormtalon is only slightly less durable than a Predator against most weapons that are likely to be shooting at it and the -1 to Hit for Supersonic evens the balance quite a lot. Plus anyone shooting at the Talons are not shooting at the Raven. 2 AC/LC Stormtalons and a Raven with ACs, MMs and hurrican bolters is a lot of firepower that will hit on a 3+ even on the move thanks to POTMS and Strafing Run rules.

What do people think? Is it worthwhile making my primary source of anti-tank airborne?

I have a pair of Stormtalons that I plan to run alongside my Stormraven (basically the old Stormwing formation) and I am mulling over what loadout for them. I could stick with heavy bolters for anti-infantry work but the Assault Cannons already fill that niche and I am planning on running a squad of Inceptors too. Typhoons and Skyhammer missiles look a bit anaemic so I was wondering if Lascannons for solid anti-tank would work.

The Stormtalon is only slightly less durable than a Predator against most weapons that are likely to be shooting at it and the -1 to Hit for Supersonic evens the balance quite a lot. Plus anyone shooting at the Talons are not shooting at the Raven. 2 AC/LC Stormtalons and a Raven with ACs, MMs and hurrican bolters is a lot of firepower that will hit on a 3+ even on the move thanks to POTMS and Strafing Run rules.

What do people think? Is it worthwhile making my primary source of anti-tank airborne?

This is a really interesting thought.  I've been trying to decide what I'd like to add to my humble BA force for a couple of weeks now.  The Stormtalon never dawned on me, because in my head we still can't use them.  That's going to take some getting used to lol.  After a quick look using a basic Raven with hurricane bolters, and 2 Talons all with las cannons would be less than 730 points.

There is a ton of mobility and threat here that your opponent will have to deal with starting turn 1.  Anything not shooting at my assault units is just a bonus for me.  It is a major points sink, but I do like this idea.  A lot.