Death company loadouts and faq’s

Paladin777

Oh I use them carefully. In the sense that I protect them until they are in place to be unleashed and do their thing. I don't need to worry about them after that. This fits perfectly with fluff; DC are meant to die, and I at least guarantee them an honourable death.

Just having them on the board is a big psychological factor in the game; the opponent knows they have to be dealt with and that his army will suffer more the longer they are alive. So they will almost make their points back without even killing anything, just by forcing the opponent to react and by the amount of dakka and hakka they will draw.

Totally agree. Even them being in reserves is a big factor vs opponents that know what they can do. They know that they have to be very careful in regards to exposing valuable units to our deep strike, particularly not with DoA. Last game I had a Wave Serpent full of Wraithflamers sitting around doing nothing because they were waiting for my DC to arrive. And I am perfectly happy bringing them in late, I have plenty of other reserve units.

I've been thinking about testing out 3 squads of 10 versus 2 squads of 15 versus 1 squad of 15 2 squads of 10.

An other option is 1x15 + 3x5. The 15 man squad is a perfect for abilities that are 1 per turn, like stratagems and powers. And the 3 other units are largely immune to morale and gives you all the options jumper-MSU does (for good and bad).

2x15 would require some sort of immunity to morale, like Astorath to work imo. 10 strong units are still somewhat vulnerable to morale (DC fleeing the battle, wow that is a crazy thought).

Last game a 10 strong DC unit got hit by some flamestorm cannons and I lost 7 out of 10. Morale did the rest...

I've been thinking about testing out 3 squads of 10 versus 2 squads of 15 versus 1 squad of 15 2 squads of 10.

An other option is 1x15 + 3x5. The 15 man squad is a perfect for abilities that are 1 per turn, like stratagems and powers. And the 3 other units are largely immune to morale and gives you all the options jumper-MSU does (for good and bad).

2x15 would require some sort of immunity to morale, like Astorath to work imo. 10 strong units are still somewhat vulnerable to morale (DC fleeing the battle, wow that is a crazy thought).

Last game a 10 strong DC unit got hit by some flamestorm cannons and I lost 7 out of 10. Morale did the rest...

Morale has never worried me. Like I've said previously they are always shot off the board after their initial assault. With multiple large squads it does two things, it allows for more than 1 unit to either come in and nuke stuff, or it allows the war of attrition as each unit is going to come in and nuke something. I'm just not sure I want to give up my storm raven for multiple units that big.

Morale has never worried me. Like I've said previously they are always shot off the board after their initial assault. With multiple large squads it does two things, it allows for more than 1 unit to either come in and nuke stuff, or it allows the war of attrition as each unit is going to come in and nuke something. I'm just not sure I want to give up my storm raven for multiple units that big.

If your 15 man unit suffers 10 casualites morale will most often finish the squad, thus freeing the enemy to fire at other targets. 

Don´t get me wrong I like it big and often field one 15-strong DC jump pack unit. I find 2 15-strong a bit too much as it is 600+ pts. A single large unit can be buffed through stragems and psychics. The way I see it, there is little 2x15 can do, that 1x15 + 3x5 can´t do?

Edit:spelling

Edited by Are Verlo

Something I have considered though is a foot slogging unit either in a SR or utilizing Fury of the Forlorn. It's my 5th edition Death Company squad so there is zero new investment.

Experimenting with a drop pod or rhino have also been options for narrative driven games.

If anyone of my units would enjoy a plasma pistol it would be them. I actually have a death company marine without JP equipped with chain sword and plasma pistol from several editions back.

I also don't hate the idea of an entire squad with hand flamers and chain swords...*looks Charlo's way*

A medium to medium-large unit in a decent transport is ok. Last September I ran a list with 10 +11 DC in 2x SR (tournament had cut-off before boots on the ground was implemented) and I worked out fine. Ofc i lost them (the DC) really fast when/if the SRs went down fast. Perhaps you could try foot dc in a LRR? two flamestorms, twin AC and 2+ save is good. The flamestorms do full damage regardless of how fast the LRR degrades (ignoring movement for getting in range ;-P)

Oh, and I absolutely agree how its great that we have lots of balanced choices to pick from! Its a lot of fun to build an army right now. But common, the Baal Pred? Or our Furiosos... :/

Yes. Even the Baal Predator is good in certain lists. For a quick example:

Captain Smashy Pants w/ relic hammer

Librarian + Force Axe w/ relic jump pack

Devastator Squad + Powersword & Plasma Pistol + Heavy Flamer x4 + Cherub

Razorback + Assault Cannon

Baal Pred (Tri-flamer)

Baal Pred (Tri-flamer)

Baal Pred (Tri-flamer)

There might be a few more points to toss around as well. But the idea of this list is to clear the board. Remember that Flamers can still target flyers so the Baal's come in REAL handy when they race toward that enemy flyer and drop 2d6 Heavy Flamer and 1d6 Infernus Cannon shots. That is going to be a very damaged flyer. Keep in mind that Flamers auto-hit so all the penalties to hit don't matter.

I'll have to take a look at the furioso dreadnoughts when I get home but I'm sure I can find a list that they work well with.

I'll have to take a look at the furioso dreadnoughts when I get home but I'm sure I can find a list that they work well with.

My main gripe for the Furioso is that its only unique weapon (the Frag Cannon) is pretty lacklustre. If going for a CC build, is there ever a reason not to pay the extra 10 points for a DC Dread? +1A, a 6+ FNP and the ability to benefit from DC-only stratagems seems to make it a no-brainer for 10 points.

Either you play the Furioso with the Fragcannon or as budget DC Dread. If you have enough points and want a melee Dread just go for the DC Dread instead. If you don't want a melee Dread and don't fancy the Fragcannon take some other Dread instead. ^^

My main gripe for the Furioso is that its only unique weapon (the Frag Cannon) is pretty lacklustre. If going for a CC build, is there ever a reason not to pay the extra 10 points for a DC Dread? +1A, a 6+ FNP and the ability to benefit from DC-only stratagems seems to make it a no-brainer for 10 points.

I feel ya there. But that doesn't mean it is not useful in certain roles. I can see a non-DC dread being useful if that 10 extra points nets you the points for that extra thunder hammer. But I will need to take another look through the codex. There could be other reasons as well. 

Can the DC Dread make use of that first turn movement strat for DC? 

The frag cannon is in a weird palce. When you look at the profile it IS better than a twin heavy flamer (higher S and assault so you can advance). The problem is the frag cannon is only available on a M8" walker. If we could load up on frag cannons on attack bikes or landspeeders it would totaly be worth 38 points. Even with a dreadnought drop pod, the furioso will have to stand ilde one turn before it can fire the frag cannon (unless charged).

It can work in some lists. Like the one posted above by Aothaine, and the furioso (and flamer baals) shine when in range of a lieutenant :-)

I´ll see if I can make a list with lots of flamer/auto-hit wepons and lieutenants with JP. Right now the meta is "boys before toys" and flamestorms/frag cannons wound gaunts, unbuffed poxwalkers and guardsmen on a 2+.

The frag cannon is in a weird palce. When you look at the profile it IS better than a twin heavy flamer (higher S and assault so you can advance). The problem is the frag cannon is only available on a M8" walker. If we could load up on frag cannons on attack bikes or landspeeders it would totaly be worth 38 points. Even with a dreadnought drop pod, the furioso will have to stand ilde one turn before it can fire the frag cannon (unless charged).

It can work in some lists. Like the one posted above by Aothaine, and the furioso (and flamer baals) shine when in range of a lieutenant :-)

I´ll see if I can make a list with lots of flamer/auto-hit wepons and lieutenants with JP. Right now the meta is "boys before toys" and flamestorms/frag cannons wound gaunts, unbuffed poxwalkers and guardsmen on a 2+.

Something else to keep in mind here is that you can still fire the weapon if you move. It is only when you advance that you can't fire any weapons except assault weapons if I remember correctly. Also, since the flamer auto hits you don't even need to worry about that either. Flamers are very strong in this edition and I imagine someone is going to surprise a lot of people with an all flamer list in a tournament in the future.

Edited by Aothaine

Loadout is finalized at 3 with Bolter and chainswords, 1 with power sword and Bolter, and one with a thunder hammer. Thank you to everyone that responded.

I agree with sfpanzer that is a decent load out. Just make sure if you ever expand it to lower the ratio of special weapons to chainswords. So in a 15 man squad I wouldn't have more than 4 special weapons. I've found that the bigger a unit gets the more an opponent tries to wipe it first turn.