Speed of the Primarch - Speedpainting BA Plog

barjed

Sure! I wash the mini all over, mainly because I am super lazy and recess shading is a PITA. To avoid pooling I spray the mini with a gloss varnish. This reduces the surface tension of the wash and makes it flow better. I then mix the shade, in this case Agrax Earthshade, 1:1 with Lahmian Medium and a drop of Vallejo Glaze Medium. I use the biggest wash brush I have and slap it all over the marine.

The finishing touch is spraying the glaze on the mini. I use pure, undiluted Bloodletter. This has three benefits. It kills any remaining shine of the varnish, it pushes the oranges of the armor into reds and it evens out any color patches that might be left after washing.

The Captain is done! I know I said I wanted to do Smash first but I decided that I want to stick with the Primaris for now. Especially because I somehow feel a nerfhammer is hovering above our codex.

So anyway here's the Primaris Captain. He's been a staple in my Primaris BA lists where he sits back with the Hellblasters and a SoS Ancient for maximum firepower and resilience. For the painting stuff I decided to keep the power swords metallic and reserve the blue-gradient finish for force and encarmine weapons. He's not perfect (lots of small mistakes) but I hope you like him!

MaQSf9.png

I am painting 5 Hellblasters next. I think I'll try doing OSL on the coils.

Why do you fear a nerfhammer, and how exactly could they nerf captain smash without drastically changing stratagems?

He's no mortarion/magnus...

Faith brother, have faith.

Edit: Forgot to give props for that bad ass Captain you just finished. Ace.

Edited by brother_b

Mortarion and Magnus are both LoW choices. Smasher problem, imo, is how effective he is for the points he costs. After LVO I am pretty sure that if the nerfs are coming then Reapers, Smasher and Tank Commander spam are getting the short end of the stick.

Now for the Smash nerfs I believe there are many options GW could pursue. I think Descent of Angels could probably see a cost increase to 3CP. Or they could make it not be usable on Characters. Perhaps they could make it 3D6 pick the highest. They could increase the point cost of the JP for the captain. Or even do something drastic and take away his TH completely. After all, I do not think we currently have a TH JP Captain model in the range.

Good points, and I'll be the first to admit that I don't pay much attention to points efficiency. 

About TH JP captain in the model range, well they only have one jump pack captain. That's the lord executioner, so not generic either.

In fact, in the whole Blood Angels range there are 7 captain options: Dante, Tycho, Karlaen, Primaris, Generic (UM) space marine captain, Generic (UM) space marine commander (he comes in the start collecting box), and the Blood Angels command box "captain".

There's an additional "Lord executioner" captain available as noted above. As well as UM captain sicarrius. 

Of those listed in BA section, only Dante (named) has a jump pack. Of all the captains, aside from Dante, only the "Lord Executioner" has a jump pack.

Of all of those captains only Karlaen has a TH.

So not trying to be contrary, this is actually for discussions sake. If the BA codex has pointed out JP captains, it's up to us to make that figure. There is no supported BA JP captain with a TH, nor is there one with a relic blade, nor is there one with lightning claws, nor is there one... we get the point.

So now the idea is do they increase CP, nerf the printed strat, or increase points? I think as said before in other "nerf/adjustment posts" that points increase is probably the most likely. It's the easiest thing to do. That also seems appropriate because the big fuss comes in match play tournaments, a scene that gets a lot of "media coverage".

Thanks for the post, good food for thought.

Mortarion and Magnus are both LoW choices. Smasher problem, imo, is how effective he is for the points he costs. After LVO I am pretty sure that if the nerfs are coming then Reapers, Smasher and Tank Commander spam are getting the short end of the stick.

Now for the Smash nerfs I believe there are many options GW could pursue. I think Descent of Angels could probably see a cost increase to 3CP. Or they could make it not be usable on Characters. Perhaps they could make it 3D6 pick the highest. They could increase the point cost of the JP for the captain. Or even do something drastic and take away his TH completely. After all, I do not think we currently have a TH JP Captain model in the range.

If they'd take away the Thunderhammer they'd have to take away the Thunderhammer relic as well since the Captain is the only one who can take one.

Increasing the DoA cost or JP cost wouldn't make him less of a heavy hitter and not allowing characters to use DoA would only be mildly annoying considering he's a character and can reach melee easily by walking up the board anyway.

Thanks for the reply on the washing and glazing Barjed! What is your order of operations for your paint scheme? I assume you get the main armor down, then wash and glaze and “finish” the armor before doing guns and pouches and chest Aquila and things like that? What I call the bits and bobs on a model.

I am not saying the nerfs will happen, I just want to wait a little bit before I paint the dude. I already have enough of bad memories wth cutting meltas off assaults only to have to reattach them after a month. I even filed off the storm bolter off Baal before the first faq hit. That was fun :P.

Tho I must say I personally do not think Smasher is broken like the old Shield Eternal one was or like silly units such as Reaperstars. He consumes a truckload of CP, can be deployed against and surrenders a warlord kill easily if he is in full smash mode. His greatest sin is fantastic point efficiency.

Thanks for the reply on the washing and glazing Barjed! What is your order of operations for your paint scheme? I assume you get the main armor down, then wash and glaze and “finish” the armor before doing guns and pouches and chest Aquila and things like that? What I call the bits and bobs on a model.

Unfortunately I paint fully assembled models, so it is a bit tricky for small details. You are correct though, I paint the armor first, then I apply and shade the rest of base colors and finish off with highlighting everything.

Do the Agrax mix wash and Bloodletter mute the glaze?  Do you matte seal after all that noise?

Gorgeous captain by the way :thumbsup:

I've got two Techamarines to paint in the near future, and I intend to use my own altered version of your recipe (I've no Ungor Flesh, so I've got to go through my inventory for a good replacement, because I'm too poor to buy more paints again).  Hopefully it works out well.  And one day, I might have enough cash to start a BA army using that recipe :laugh.:

Edited by Firepower

Glazing is done with the Bloodletter as the final step. It does dull the oragnes and the shine but that's the point of it :) I don't seal my models. Matte varnish tends to produce very inconsistent results, can lead to dusting (even with premium airbrushed products) and it also kills the natural shine of the metallic paints.

You could replace Ungor Flesh with Ushabti Bone or another flesh color or even something orange like Fire Dragon Bright.