Predator Demios with plasma destroyer

Hoots

Hey there

Just wandering if anyone has one of these and has given it a go in 8th? I've got one on the shelf but have yet to give him a go; I'd be pretty interested to know how he stacks up and whether it's worth putting WOTDA on him?  Next to someone allowing him to reroll any ones to hit of course!

Cheers  

Not a huge fan of it as a WOTDA target, myself. The Plasma Destroyer is just two plasma cannons, and for less points you could have a 4 PC Dev squad with the added bonus of the cherub and signum.

Hooooowever, there could be a fun/cute thing to do here that isn't that good but makes me laugh. If you took a Deimos Pred with 2 other Preds, you could pop WOTDA on it, and Killshot on the Preds. Then, your 2D3 plasma shots are doing 4 damage each. But again, that's something more cute than anything else. They're still Str7, so nothing to write home about. Not being able to overcharge on the gun bums me out.

Edited by Brother-Captain Sharp

Well it's not equivalent to 2 plasma cannons as the Destroyer has D2 without having the option to overcharge. Better and worse vs specific targets if they are toughness 7/8 or not.

Anyway it does seem like a nice unit to use the stratagem on but it has similar problem of the Land Speeder vengeance, being a random number of shots you could be burning combo points for nothing unfortunately. Compared to a unit of Plasma vets or hellblasters you know the mileage you will get each time.

Cheers folks

I haven't ventured into the realms of forgeworld in 8th at all yet. Having picked up a demios predator and two vidicator laser destroyers near the end of 7th that are now all significantly worse than they were they are struggling to get into lists and I'm really just looking for ways to have a bot of fun with them now and again.

Yes it might be a bit of a waste but I do like the kill shot idea just for a laugh.

Thanks 

Hoots 

Well it's not equivalent to 2 plasma cannons as the Destroyer has D2 without having the option to overcharge. Better and worse vs specific targets if they are toughness 7/8 or not.

Anyway it does seem like a nice unit to use the stratagem on but it has similar problem of the Land Speeder vengeance, being a random number of shots you could be burning combo points for nothing unfortunately. Compared to a unit of Plasma vets or hellblasters you know the mileage you will get each time.

Targets would have to be T6 for it to equivalent to an overcharging PC. And you're right, I should have said worse than the equivalent of 2 PCs due to the lower strength. I get that the PCs require an overcharge to make that true, but for almost anything you are using the strat for, you're also overcharging. With there only being a 1/36 chance of overheat with rerolls of 1s, it's very low risk compared to the extra mileage against the vast majority of vehicles and a good deal of the monsters you will see in competitive settings

The Deimos at least has a higher floor of shots than the Vengeance due to 2D3 vs D6. I can also never get over the fact a single overheat turns off the Vengeance.

Edited by Brother-Captain Sharp

not really worth in my opinion, biggest issue is that theres not many forgeworld units that have good targets right now, their mostly very situational selections that will kill a specific target if its there, and your probably going to pay out the arm for it. and the deimos predator and variants are no different. heres the idea circumstance for the deimos, your fighting against thousand sons, they dont field magus or an over abundance of tzeentch demons, and you want to knock his rubrics out of play early. the deimos is great there, and even then theres alternatives you could field in his place.

i suppose one could also make use of it shooting at regular marines or chaos marines, but once it runs out of tactical marines or devestators, or assault marines, or even scouts to kill its combat effectiveness drops like a stone down a well 

Such a shame it's a beutifull model and was hilarious last edition (enough that I only brought it to play against people who knew it's abilities and wanted to play against it.) I suppose it will continue to look good on the shelf until forgeworld need to sell of excess stock and give it a rules rewrite (how very cynical of me)

I've uses the Plasma Predator. It's decent, especially if you run it with two Las Cannons.

I see it as a superior version of the Auto Cannon Pred. Don't write it off.

As for the Laser Destroyer Vindis - they are OK. In some ways better than a Pred, certainly more durable. Very immobile however.

Edited by Ishagu