Impact1's Scratch build Buildings and Scenery

Impact1

I thoulght I'd start collectiong som e photos of a few buildings I've done These will wander a bit From mechanicus to Habs to alien stuff.

First up, cargo shipping containers.

med_gallery_99186_14145_84882.jpg

Scratch built ~1:48 scale 20 Foot Shipping container for war-gaming. Enclosed container, 1 of 4 built. Dimensions are 54mm W x 57mm T x 133mm L.

I built 4 of these in one go. Using florescent light grating for the sides, and 2" tiles for the end caps. The top and bottom plates are 3mm Sentra (foam PVC). The rest is plastic strip and 1.5mm rivets.

Rear view:

med_gallery_99186_14145_87138.jpg

I built a 5th container, same length, but with an open mechanical area.

med_gallery_99186_14145_48444.jpg

Still needs details for the mechanical area. Fuel tank/generator, pipes, wires and such.

med_gallery_99186_14145_2251.jpg

Edited by Impact1

Next up is the Defense Platforms, for use as a firing platform, or mounting a large turreted weapon. I'm sill building the Defense Lasers. But these just drop into the ring pits
First version, after primer.
med_gallery_99186_14145_20880.jpg

med_gallery_99186_14145_4955.jpg

Version Secundus, before primer.
med_gallery_99186_14145_56442.jpg

med_gallery_99186_14145_21026.jpg

These are built using 3 electrical box and a VHS tape for the main structure. After disassembly I cut off 1/3 of the VHS tape, cut the circular opening, and glued it to the"top" of a round electrical box. The ring around the bottom is the lid from an electrical tape container. The other half of the body is a orange low voltage box stacked onto a blue single gang ebox The white trim is Drywall edge molding "corner bead". And the rest is electronic junk.
Both models still need doors, ladders and hatches, and bitz hanging from the overhang added.
Inspiration from Ironhands.comhttp://ironhands.com/h2_dl0.htm

Next is the Ember Shrine, an Incinerator/Crematorium. Again it's been primed, but needs more detail, and a good paint job.
med_gallery_99186_14145_19382.jpg

med_gallery_99186_14145_77979.jpg

This is built from two VHS tapes and two electric tape containers. Still need lights, ladders, and bitz hanging from the overhang added.
Inspiration from Ironhands.comhttp://ironhands.com/ember.htm
After building main body, I set it down up side down, and decided I liked better that way. I added the "lights" and tanks in a slightly different way.

Soue materials:
VHS Tape, Electric Box , Drywall Molding, electronc bits.

Edited by Impact1

Built a couple more cargo containers. This time they are open platform with fixed end plates.

med_gallery_99186_14145_25562.jpg

Searching through my junk box, I found some of these.

sml_gallery_99186_14145_40649.jpgsml_gallery_99186_14145_5306.jpg

So after a little re-configuring, I get this.

med_gallery_99186_14145_71143.jpg

I had to cut the diagnal struts, but they are otherwise a perfect fit. Just have to touch up the grey primmer before painting. The load will need more detail added before painting. and I'll likely add some LEDs as well.

Ummm... Yes, yes, and yes! It's absolutely amazing what you can make from nothing if you execute it right. And this is sooo right. A little creativity with the right found bits mixed with some scratch built styrene and you have something straight from the depths of a hive complex.

More stuff from this weekend. This time Tau scenery. I don't even own Tau models, but these seemed like a fun project, and after all it's for the greater good.

Tau field generator

med_gallery_99186_14145_32060.jpg

med_gallery_99186_14145_70778.jpg
It's typical primary function is believed to be creating a defensive barrier. More common use is to hide behind for hard cover.

Tau Power Generators
med_gallery_99186_14145_22602.jpg

med_gallery_99186_14145_31247.jpg

Not really sure how they work. Is it plasma, cold fusion, hamsters on a wheel?

All three together for scale.
med_gallery_99186_14145_51602.jpg

These were made from small plastic plates. Wouldn't you know it, all I had in the cupboard was black plates. These are filled with layers of foam core and card stock. The end caps are cut down utility boxes, and caps for liquid laundry detergent. These were assembled primed grey. Then again in white. Then was added 1/8" ID and 1/4" ID wire loom, and whatever industrial fitting I had laying around. Recycled SMA RF connectors and keyboard bits.

Edited by Impact1

Those shipping containers look really good, I think a tutorial is needed.

Thanks everyone. A tutorial? That sounds like work. I doubt i could find more of that type of light grating, it's from a dumpster dive. And Sentra pvc board may also be hard to find. I could redesign it using foam core and paper card stock. I'll try it this weekend.

Those shipping containers look really good, I think a tutorial is needed.

Thanks everyone. A tutorial? That sounds like work. I doubt i could find more of that type of light grating, it's from a dumpster dive. And Sentra pvc board may also be hard to find. I could redesign it using foam core and paper card stock. I'll try it this weekend.

Not to jump you and your awesome containers, but if you want a ready-made tutorial, look on Youtube for the "Terrain Tutor" channel.  He has a video tutorial for cargo containers very much like Impact's, just with slight different materials.

I've started on some modern/future urbane terrain. These are road bed tiles that are 1/2" tall at the sidewalks, and 12" wide. I have `11 feet of road bed tiles so far, including 2T intersections and 1X intersection. And plan to build 2 more intersections and 4 more feet of straight road bed tiles.

When I'm done with these, I'll be starting on the city block tiles.

med_gallery_99186_14145_58719.jpg

gallery_99186_14145_143487.jpg

The bottom layer is 5mm foam core.

On top of this placed 1 1/8" thick 6 " wide strip of Sintra