Primaris modeling question, 7th Reserve Company.

palin2222

Greeting Brethern,

With the new codex in hand, the main lists it looks like I am wanting to run are Heavy tactical supported by Deathwing, and very occasionally by the Ravenwing. This being the case I thought it would be a neat Idea to model all my green marines into the 7th Reserve company. At present my Reservewing will consist of a Master (Relic blade, combi-plasma) 1 regular Lieutenant (power sword, bolter) 1 Primaris Lieutenant (Leaning towards Power Sword and Bolt pistol) 4 tactical squads of Various load outs and 2 Primaris Intercessor squads with half Stalker bolt rifles and half regular bolt rifles. I also plan on modeling a ‘command squad’ out of an Ancient, a Company Champion, an Apothecary, and 2 Veterans (Combi-melta, and combi-plasma) though I will likely never use them.

My goal is to try to have my army be as fluff-accurate as possible and I have a couple questions to keep me on the path to this goal

Company Master model will have a winged helmet, robes, and a cloak. Along with an Iron Halo

Lieutenant will have a winged Helmet and a robe, no cloak or IH. Easy to distinguish from the Master.

Primaris Lieutenant will be the Zakariah model with some wings added to his helmet

Company Champion will have Unique Pauldrons, robes, and a unique helmet.

Veterans and Sergeants will all have robes, Apothecary will have parts that are white as shown in the Codex.

And then we come to the Incessor models… obviously they don’t have robe models for Primaris stuff. I am terrible with Greenstuff so sculpting my own is out of the question. How is everyone else handling marking their Primaris Sergeants and HQs? Paint the Helmet Bleached Bone? Paint a Pauldon Bleached bone? Special Decoration on the Pauldron? Buy additional Zakariahs and kitbash? Any help you could led would be much appreciated. 

Greeting Brethern,

With the new codex in hand, the main lists it looks like I am wanting to run are Heavy tactical supported by Deathwing, and very occasionally by the Ravenwing. This being the case I thought it would be a neat Idea to model all my green marines into the 7th Reserve company. At present my Reservewing will consist of a Master (Relic blade, combi-plasma) 1 regular Lieutenant (power sword, bolter) 1 Primaris Lieutenant (Leaning towards Power Sword and Bolt pistol) 4 tactical squads of Various load outs and 2 Primaris Intercessor squads with half Stalker bolt rifles and half regular bolt rifles. I also plan on modeling a ‘command squad’ out of an Ancient, a Company Champion, an Apothecary, and 2 Veterans (Combi-melta, and combi-plasma) though I will likely never use them.

My goal is to try to have my army be as fluff-accurate as possible and I have a couple questions to keep me on the path to this goal

Company Master model will have a winged helmet, robes, and a cloak. Along with an Iron Halo

Lieutenant will have a winged Helmet and a robe, no cloak or IH. Easy to distinguish from the Master.

Primaris Lieutenant will be the Zakariah model with some wings added to his helmet

Company Champion will have Unique Pauldrons, robes, and a unique helmet.

Veterans and Sergeants will all have robes, Apothecary will have parts that are white as shown in the Codex.

And then we come to the Incessor models… obviously they don’t have robe models for Primaris stuff. I am terrible with Greenstuff so sculpting my own is out of the question. How is everyone else handling marking their Primaris Sergeants and HQs? Paint the Helmet Bleached Bone? Paint a Pauldon Bleached bone? Special Decoration on the Pauldron? Buy additional Zakariahs and kitbash? Any help you could led would be much appreciated. 

I am using a couple primaris models in my army and I just painted them caliban green like the rest of my army. I would stay away from Bleached bone as to not confuse and give them hope that one day they can make it to the 1st company.  They need to know their place.

I haven’t got to Primaris yet. In my mind the robes on my sergeants, vets and HQs represent induction into more various levels of the unforgiven. The Primaris are not sufficiently trusted to move through the circles. No knowledge means no robes.

That’s how I plan on going for now.

Obviously I reserve the right to completely change my mind.

I didn't make the connection of robes to knowledge.I mean, a tactical sergeant get robes and he doesn't know anything above and beyond a regular tactical marine. That is a pretty cool interpretation. I've mostly been using robes as a sign of rank.

I do agree that the primaris shouldn't be included into the inner Circle, and lieutenant is the highest rank primaris will hold.

So that begs the original question, if not robes how should a Primaris Sergeant be decorated so it's instantly recognizable on the tabletop? Wargear is an option, or it would be if my Sergeants weren't stock. I suppose you could also make your sergeants helmet-less, though if i did that they would be the only helmetless models in my entire army. Something fancy on the base? Just use the pointy finger?

Edited by palin2222

I built my army in 3rd ed. All my sergent who had robe was upgrade to veteran sergent and got upgrade to deathwing and a deathwing shoulder pad to show it. The option is no longer valid, but i keep building my army with robe marine only for marine that can be deathwing in fluff (sergent, all character except techmarine and chaplain, no primaris).

Back on topic, i choose to use backpack ornement to show sergent status on primaris. For me it was the easiest way to show that they are sergent without givin them robe.

I didn't make the connection of robes to knowledge.I mean, a tactical sergeant get robes and he doesn't know anything above and beyond a regular tactical marine. That is a pretty cool interpretation. I've mostly been using robes as a sign of rank.

I do agree that the primaris shouldn't be included into the inner Circle, and lieutenant is the highest rank primaris will hold.

So that begs the original question, if not robes how should a Primaris Sergeant be decorated so it's instantly recognizable on the tabletop? Wargear is an option, or it would be if my Sergeants weren't stock. I suppose you could also make your sergeants helmet-less, though if i did that they would be the only helmetless models in my entire army. Something fancy on the base? Just use the pointy finger?

I’m not thinking sergeants and vets know of the fallen just a small level of knowledge perhaps a few apochraphal tales to prepare them for future knowledge.

As for making the primaris sergeants stand out. If you don’t want to add Power swords and plasma pistols what about a few added bits and pieces from the various upgrade sprues a knife, set of keys or incense burner. There are plenty of back pack ornaments too or a banner. I think the sergeants shoulders included in the DA packs come with a skull on the sword to distinguish them.

Edited by JJD