Could GW Make more Metal Guardsmen?

Ulrik_Ironfist

Looking at the GW webstore, there seems to be and influx of metal models for the Regiments. Is this true, or are they trying to see if there's enough interest to justify plastic?

Edited by WarriorFish
Clarifying title to prevent crushed dreams

I think it's probably just supplying demand. I wouldn't read anything into it.

Maybe all those armies that were sold off when 8th edition arrived, need reinforcements so GW has got more orders for the old stuff?

I gave up trying to predict what GW were going to do next, a long time ago. Their release schedule follows a similar path to a bolt of lightning :)

I saw your post, got excited and rushed to the webstore, and then saw they have the same selection of metal IG they've had for over a year now.

Damn, and I was hoping they'd brought back officers, special weapons, and heavy weapons for all the metal regiments! Pity. :(

I would kill for Vostroyan mortar teams and officers. Converting is time consuming and results with metal models are not that great.

And yes, GW does indeed make more of the old metal models. Vostroyans have been out of stock pretty often, but pop back up every now and then.

I think many people would kill for plastic regiments

Agreed - me included. :)

However, I'd still be delighted if GW just let us buy the missing stuff for the current ranges they already sell. I appreciate that a good while back there was a limited "Made To Order" webstore event where you could get some of this stuff, but I missed it unfortunately. :(

I'm surprised they don't make a more concerted effort with the older metal lines in terms of officers/heavy weapon teams.

Considering, for example, that GW's metal 10-man Mordian Iron Guard squad is $35 (USD) on the US website, while an equivalent third party replacement - such as VictoriaMiniatures' Tannenburg Fusiliers will set you back $44.95 (USD).

Right now I'd take the minis from Aunty Vicky anyday because they're easier to convert officers and special/heavy weapons, but if GW released the full range that once existed for Mordians and didn't hike the prices, GW would suddenly seem like a very viable option - even more so to those gamers who like to/are forced to only use GW miniatures.

Exactly. In my case it's simply that I already have the regiment models, and would simply like to round them out with the least fuss/conversion/third party stuff possible.

Also, for me, the model options that weren't so hot before (junior officers with power fists and plasma pistols, heavy bolters, mortars) are suddenly pretty appealing in 8E.

Would it be worth starting a petition to ask GW to make them available again? Aside from time to spin the moulds, they already have everything they need in place already.

I'd be a bit scared of new Guard plastics actually. All the latest releases are a bit out there and away from the traditional. Flying steampunk Dwarves etc. Now for most armies I love it, all the new models are great, but for Guard I think traditional is best. I like my Guard to be regular humans which they are now.

I suspect new ones would be wearing sleak modern looking armour and be enormous and muscly. And not funny muscly like the Catachan plastics but more Karic Acolyte muscly. Not everyone is the galaxy has to be a bodybuilder!

Exactly. In my case it's simply that I already have the regiment models, and would simply like to round them out with the least fuss/conversion/third party stuff possible.

Also, for me, the model options that weren't so hot before (junior officers with power fists and plasma pistols, heavy bolters, mortars) are suddenly pretty appealing in 8E.

Would it be worth starting a petition to ask GW to make them available again? Aside from time to spin the moulds, they already have everything they need in place already.

With the focus on 8th Ed. Codexes and new lines like the Custodes, I doubt the company would spare the time to punch out legacy guard models from twenty years ago, albeit on a niche scale. The current sales pitch for IG seems to be that they have a generic baseline (Cadians) and players have infinite variations available by altering the colour scheme or kitbashing with other GW plastic ranges.  

I honestly think it's about as likely as new plastic Guardsman representing something other than Cadians or Catachans. 

I'd be a bit scared of new Guard plastics actually. All the latest releases are a bit out there and away from the traditional. Flying steampunk Dwarves etc. Now for most armies I love it, all the new models are great, but for Guard I think traditional is best. I like my Guard to be regular humans which they are now.

I suspect new ones would be wearing sleak modern looking armour and be enormous and muscly. And not funny muscly like the Catachan plastics but more Karic Acolyte muscly. Not everyone is the galaxy has to be a bodybuilder!

Seconded. While the current plastics (and metals) do look a little dated, a new aesthetic in line with some of the latest overblown sculpts (IMHO Death Guard) would take the guard to place I'd hate to see it go.

Better the devil you know. 

With the focus on 8th Ed. Codexes and new lines like the Custodes, I doubt the company would spare the time to punch out legacy guard models from twenty years ago, albeit on a niche scale. The current sales pitch for IG seems to be that they have a generic baseline (Cadians) and players have infinite variations available by altering the colour scheme or kitbashing with other GW plastic ranges.  

I honestly think it's about as likely as new plastic Guardsman representing something other than Cadians or Catachans. 

You say that, but there's a surprising amount of legacy metal models still made by GW (not to mention a whole faction - SoB) that are still in metal. Availability could be made could be made on a periodic basis, just like Canoness Viridian.

As for never seeing new Guard regiments... Well, that's what I used to think before they released the Vostroyans. So whilst I agree it's unlikely, I wouldn't entirely rule it out either. :P

You say that, but there's a surprising amount of legacy metal models still made by GW (not to mention a whole faction - SoB) that are still in metal. Availability could be made could be made on a periodic basis, just like Canoness Viridian.

As for never seeing new Guard regiments... Well, that's what I used to think before they released the Vostroyans. So whilst I agree it's unlikely, I wouldn't entirely rule it out either. :tongue.:

No disagreement there, what I'm angling at is the likelihood of GW increasing its focus on legacy models, namely by fleshing out existing legacy linesI could see them running 'made to order' style events, but I doubt it would cover a wide range of missing miniatures. I'd love to see Kasrkin or the 3rd Ed. Stormtroopers brought back on a permanent basis but I'm not holding my breath.

As for the Vostroyans - When I came back to the hobby last year after a decade away, those were the first minis that popped up on the GW site - I thought the entire IG range had been redone during the 10 years I'd been missing in action.

Needless to say, within minutes of surfing bitter disappointment ensued.

I didn't mean to cause a panic. I just can't believe that they have that much back-stocked metal that they can be still selling it off. I mean, sure there are gaps in the lines. But maybe they're still in limited production on the existing molds? 

It makes me happy to know that the old metals are still available. I really would love to have some of the old Steel Legion troopers.  

I  really would love to have some of the old Steel Legion troopers.  

Apart from one Sergeant (the one holding an Ork head), and one Captain (the one waving a sword over his head), the complete set of SL models is currently available from GW.

Sadly, they are also the most incomplete of all the regiments too, at least in terms of having modelled options.

Either way, get them whilst you can - the eBay prices are already *insane* considering they're not OOP. :P