Avenger Strike Fighter

Daimhin

“The Avenger is an ancient design, believed to originate on Ancient Terra sometime during the Age of Strife. It was adopted by forces loyal to the Divine Saint Sebastian Thor during the bloody wars of faith and schism now called the Age of Apostasy. Its effectiveness is such that it is now a staple of any Imperial Navy air support mission, holding a glamour of holy import in the wider Imperium. The Avenger is often specifically requested by the Adeptus Sororitas should they require close support in their purgations“

Given the above I am planning on adding a couple of these to my Adepta Sororitas Force.

Obviously I can do this simply with the relevant Forge World Index. However, I have some questions that I figure you guys are best placed to answer :

1) What Regiment rules would be best to use with these fliers?

2) Are there any Strategems or special rules that I would want to be aware of?

3) Do I lose out on much if I run 2 of these as fliers in my Adepta Sororitas Brigade/ Battalion?

4) Would I be better running them as 3 in an Astra Militarim Air Wing?

Thanks in advance!

1. None, flyers are Aeronautica Imperialis and not <Regiment>

2. Defensive Gunners and Vengeance for Cadia are the only stratagems that apply. "Boots on the Ground" means if the flyer is the only thing left in your army, you auto lose. Hard To Hit means all BS tests against you are at -1.

3. Avengers aren't very good to be honest, not since the price hike. You're looking at 194 points for a base model, 234 points with missile launchers and a whopping 254 points if take it with Hellstrikes. The cannon is mediocre, the accuracy is such that you'll only ever hit on a 4+ and the bolt cannon is mediocre.

4. What are you gaining for doing this? Flyers aren't something you just chuck into an army, you've got to have a thought out plan of what they add to your army and how your army will support them. Just on the face of things, asking if Avengers are good enough to run in 3s, I'd say heck no, but maybe you've got a plan, if so, we'd love to hear it.

Don't get me wrong, I love flyers, I'm fielding 4 right now, but it's hard to help suggest support elements with what you've got here so far, if you expand on your intentions, then we might be able to help more.

It seems that Vultures and Vendettas are the big winners this edition. That seems to be pretty much par for the course though. Vultures seem to be pretty strong through the editions. 

The Thunderbolt, Lightning, and Avenger seem to lose out in terms of usefulness. I like those options, but non-hovering flyers seem to be limited to APOC only. 

Vendettas suck hard, and only punisher vultures are worth being taken from that set. Lightnings can still work, but that gut punch courtesy of CA really hurt our air force.

I use Punisher Vultures mostly because it gives me a flying Leman Russ Punisher Tank Commander. I use Valkyries because I have them and they're fluffy. Also having more Transports is always a plus.