moving and charging in tall ruins

Madmonkeyman

So what happens if you can't end you move on a floor of a ruins.  a marine only moves 6 inches up an 8 inch wall. Can he not move at all or can he go half way up.  makes a big difference when setting up charges etc.

There is a designers commentary:  What happens when an Infantry model cannot completely end its move on a floor of ruins when attempting to scale the walls?

A: If an Infantry model is unable to complete a move to a stable position, use the Wobbly Model Syndrome

guidelines in the core rules to identify with your opponent where your model’s actual location is. 

So what happens if you can't end you move on a floor of a ruins.  a marine only moves 6 inches up an 8 inch wall. Can he not move at all or can he go half way up.  makes a big difference when setting up charges etc.

Eh, I think you've already looked up the answer to your own question?

There is a designers commentary:  What happens when an Infantry model cannot completely end its move on a floor of ruins when attempting to scale the walls?

A: If an Infantry model is unable to complete a move to a stable position, use the Wobbly Model Syndrome guidelines in the core rules to identify with your opponent where your model’s actual location is.

So far's I've interpreted it, you indicate where, six inches up the wall your marine is and that's where in the future you measure to that model and move from until you change it.

Perhaps a review of a previous thread on the subject will provide some illumination?

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/336287-how-cover-interacts-with-movement/?hl=%2Bwobbly&do=findComment&comment=4811685

Was just checking i was reading it correctly as it seems very gamey.

I suspect it's impossible to write a set of rules that can't, in some circumstance, be perceived as 'gamey'. An alternative to the current implementation sometimes leads to 'gamey' things like fire support elements deployed atop pedestals being functionally impervious to close assault under the argument that there's no-where to place the attacker.

If there is a fix for it, it's in the heads of the participants, a new way of imagining the scene and what's actually being represented by the models. In the prior thread I used the example of my friends Genestealers clinging to the sides of the building to assault my dudes. The old lore is replete with fluffy examples of 'Stealers getting up to all manner of ninja-esq antics to get to grips with their prey. So, in your case, you might assume that the scouts and recon elements informed your commander that there were vertical obstacles on the field for that battle and your commander in turn instructed what passes for a quartermaster for your faction to issue your troops with grapnels and other related climbing and pioneer kit to make the extreme close action up the wall a viable combat option.

If that seems like an awful lot of preparation to go to to potentially stab someone, just remember this is the setting that popularised the line 'Drive me closer, I want to hit them with my sword'.

... RAW does this mean your opponent can stop you from doing it. ...

In a tournament setting they probably have a sportsmanship score you could tank for that kind of behaviour, but that's not a rule book remedy. I guess if they refuse to believe that your model will fall when you take your hand away from holding it against the model wall you could check and see if you've got something to prop it up with or some blue-tac or chewing gum to stick it to the wall with? After all, the paragraph under moving explicitly allowed you to move your model up the wall as far as it's movement allowed with no requirement to end on a level surface.

... [C]an be moved vertically in order to climb or traverse any scenery