Stross

As a primarily CSM player I think Endless Cacophony needs to either be nerfed, or to be disconnected from the MoS (with something else taking its place). It's just so massively potent that it messes up the balance between the marks. Why would you ever not give all your shooty units the MoS?

Veterans of the Long War could be reserved for units without a Mark, to make that option less of a strict downgrade.

Basic CSM and Chosen really needs to be buffed, at the very least give us our bolter, bp and ccw back! It was mandatory gear in previous editions, all the Chosen models from DV have them, and even SW have the option now so there is no reason why all our models should suddenly not follow WYSIWYG.

By priority I think that covers it:

1. Give CSM access to bolter, bp and ccw. Making basic CSM a solid and useful core for CSM armies would be nice, but probably a bit too much to hope for.

2. Either nerf Endless Cacophony or make it available to all marks.

3. Give Unmarked units something other than the ability to pay CP for a mark, which the player could have given them for free anyway...

*edit*

Come to think of it, I think they should remove the mark requirement for all the Stratagems. A player that runs a Khorne-themed force will have little use for the "shoot twice" Stratagem or extra psychics, but by the same token, did not Khârn himself have the effect of "Grandfathers blessings" cast on him after the Battle of Terra? The protective hand of the Gods have been at play for characters following all the Gods, surviving things that should have killed them, be it through guile, instant healing, 'magic' or some other means.

It would be a super-easy way of leveling out the playing field between the marks, and also not punish players excessively who want to field their armies without marks. (Which is an issue for many IW, WB, AL and NL players in particular.)

Oh, and as a WB player, it makes me a bit sad that "reroll Morale" is strictly worse than +1 LD with the BL gets, and they get a (weak) second ability on top!
At the very least change the WB trait to be "Roll twice and pick the lowest when rolling for Morale". It's no fun being the worst of the bunch, with no redeeming qualities. :(

Edited by totgeboren

Some good points there. I'm really unhappy with command points and stratagems at the moment. Ignoring how some armies get a lot and others don't, there seems to be a huge imbalance between the quality of stratagems from one force to another.

Look at loyalist Ultramarines for example - there are no stratagems I factor into making a list, nothing that impacts my strategy. Compare that to Raven Guard.

Look at Blood Angels - they have amazing Stratagems that literally unlock new tactics and play a significant role in your list and game plan.

In the Chaos codex, you have Alpha Legion and MoS that literally dictate your battle plan and transform units from good to highly competitive, whilst other Legions in the SAME book are practically left in the dust.

We also have to remember that there are now 3 ways to play this game and comparing everything to a competition scene gives nothing to the others. It just repeats the same salty hatred as before.

Not to mention that if you roll junk, you roll junk. No stratagem is going to save you there.

There is also the option of not taking something. Just because you can doesn't mean you have to or should. Or something that is viewed in the negative light doesn't mean it cannot work at all or ever.

:

1. Give CSM access to bolter, bp and ccw. Making basic CSM a solid and useful core for CSM armies would be nice, but probably a bit too much to hope for.

I just want to call this out, the only unit(s) that do this still is Space Wolves, (Grey Hunters and Wolf Guard). And while I understand wanting that, but it should be understood; Grey Hunters give up access to Heavy Weapons for that ability. It might seem minor, but it means that they have to take a Long Fang or a take a Vehicle, to fill anti-tank or provide heavy fire support. And the other 'viable' Tactical replacement; Crusader Squads. Do not have that ability either, showing that it is not needed to be viable as unit onto itself. 

I'm not trying to say CSM don't deserve it or shouldn't have it, sense they did have it in the past. But as of 8th edition, while the issues of Tacticals and Vanilla Chaos Marines have issues. They should be solved by trying to find a new gimmick that improves the unit without just copying and pasting another unit. Or it should be understood and reason why that advantage/ability exists, than an appropriate 'trade off is given. Its why I think having Tacticals grant +1 CP at 10 Man be a good change. Chaos Marines should get something else but what is the question. 

Chaos Marines, I think a change that could happen is that give their Champion's two wound, three attack and hit on 2+.* And make chosen into two wounds each as well (Chaos Marine Terminators/Units have Two Base, their Champions, have three wounds). I dunno I am just spitballing here, but it would separate Chaos Marines from being 'Tactical's' but with more heavy options. And further emphasis the champion matters idea of the Chaos Marines. I might be totally out of line here however.

*I'd be lying if I said Exarchs did not inspire this idea.

**Its not gimmick stealing, because Eldar and Chaos armies are so fundamentally different. And Chaos Marine Squads and Aspect Warriors, role wise are very different

Edited by Schlitzaf