Flesh Tearers - advice requested

JeffTibbetts

Hey all! I'll be starting up a Flesh Tearers force soon as a sort of commission. I'm not super familiar with them, but I want to paint them fairly quickly using GW paints. I want to keep the red a bit brighter than the really dark ones you usually see. Any suggestions for a fast recipe? I'm thinking about something similar to the dark red in the Citadel Paint app: Khorne Red, Carroburg Crimson, Wazdakka and then Wild Rider.

In my case, I'd probably spray Khorne Red with an airbrush, then do a zenithal highlight of Wazdakka and maybe one edge highlight of Wild Rider, and then wash all over with Carroburg. I like to keep washes to the last step. Has anyone tried something similar? I'm also wondering if a pin wash of Nuln Oil or even Nuln Oil Gloss would also be nice to boost contrast. 

I'm also thinking about doing them fast fast fast, which means as little edge highlighting as possible. Might even go the 30K route and use some metallic chipping with a sponge in place of edging. Thoughts on that? 

As for the black, I kind of want to do a charcoal gray and then wash with Nuln and call it a day. I like the art for them that shows it as a dark gray instead of black.

Really I'm just spitballing ideas and looking for advice and examples of some cool Flesh Tearers stuff. Grateful for any help I might get. Thanks! 

The classic flesh tearer red is usually done with nuln oil wash over Khorne red.

For brighter red crimson wash over Mephiston red works well. You can look at Duncan video about blood angel Tactical Marine. He uses dry brush and full wash over the model for one. This gives a darker finish than the Mephiston red/ recess shade/highlight but not as dark as khorne red/ nuln oil wash.

I think at one point, one of the GW painting guides actually used Khorne Red as the base and then recommended that you shade the entire area with at least one coat of Nuln Oil (may have actually been more).

That reminds me, I should look up older painting guides. Good thought.

The classic flesh tearer red is usually done with nuln oil wash over Khorne red.

For brighter red crimson wash over Mephiston red works well. You can look at Duncan video about blood angel Tactical Marine. He uses dry brush and full wash over the model for one. This gives a darker finish than the Mephiston red/ recess shade/highlight but not as dark as khorne red/ nuln oil wash.

Mephiston would be faster in a way because they make it in a rattle can... 

Wooo! Flesh Tearers are always welcome! Be sure to let your customer know about us here. I'd love to get some more brothers on this forum!

Also, a link to how I'm painting my boys up is below. Though I think it might be a bit much for what you are thinking.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/335589-aothaines-flesh-tearers/?hl=%2Baothaine+%2Bflesh+%2Btearer&do=findComment&comment=4802482

Red

Mephiston Red (Undercoat Spray Primer)

Evil Sunz Scarlet (Dry Brush)

Wild Rider Red (Dry Brush Highlight)

Agrax Earthshade (Recess Shade)

Wild Rider Red (Edge Highlight)

Black

Abaddon Black (Primer)

Eshin Grey (Highlight Edges of the armor)
Fenrisian Grey (Highlight Sharpest details on the armor)
Edited by Aothaine

Thank you! That recipe seems like it would be fairly bright. Happen to have any pictures? 

Sadly I do not yet. Still saving up for the different paints. I will have some in a few weeks but I know that won't help you then.

I think it was taken from the older GW Flesh Tearer painting guide. The Agrax Earthshade darkens it quite a bit though.

Also consider the 'From the Warp' style, based on GW's.

A red glaze over the flesh highlight will tie things together.

http://fromthewarp.blogspot.ch/2011/06/flesh-tearer-painted-using-gw-color.html

Oh, that's very nice isn't it? I like working with glazes, personally. What I'm really trying to 'skip out' on here is lots of edge highlighting. I want to do as much as possible with airbrush and washes, but I think this could work. If I keep the flesh highlights more like a very final pin highlight, I think the rest could easily be done similar to this. 

Something like:

Mephiston Red from a rattle can

Airbrush a zenithal highlight with, say, maybe Wild Rider Red which should be bright enough for some contrast

Wash all over with Nuln Oil Gloss

Very fine pin highlight with Kislev Flesh

Bloodletter Glaze

This would be crazy fast, and I think would be dark enough. I'll have to test it. Another option would be to try washing with Drakenhoff Nightshade to give the red a much cooler, deeper tint. I just don't want to have to airbrush another highlight post wash. In fact airbrushing just once would be ideal. 

I'm also a big fan of using washes across a whole model, so I'd probably pick out the silver bits first before the Nuln Oil. In fact, I mentioned it before but I might try to do Mechanicus Standard Gray on the 'black' bits and wash them along with everything else. I think this will be too light, but how great would it be to do that with just a base and wash? 

Bear in mind that Ron's recipe uses Badab black, not nuln oil. Nuln is about the equivalent to 2 - 3 coats of badab, it's much stronger and will darken the model more.

I'd also avoid the gloss as while it will flow better, it'll make the recesses shiny. Id use 40:60 nuln oil to lahmian medium. You'll get smoother flow into recesses but without the shiny shiny.

You can probably swap the bleached bone highlights in that method for ungor flesh in the new paints. I use that as my extreme corner highlight on BA, with no glaze to bring it down.

Edited by Xenith

You can also do a quick dry brush on the model for quick edge highlighting.

Maybe I should do that with Astorath Red, yeah. 

Bear in mind that Ron's recipe uses Badab black, not nuln oil. Nuln is about the equivalent to 2 - 3 coats of badab, it's much stronger and will darken the model more.

I'd also avoid the gloss as while it will flow better, it'll make the recesses shiny. Id use 40:60 nuln oil to lahmian medium. You'll get smoother flow into recesses but without the shiny shiny.

You can probably swap the bleached bone highlights in that method for ungor flesh in the new paints. I use that as my extreme corner highlight on BA, with no glaze to bring it down.

Good tips! Yeah, I almost never use a wash at full strength. As for the gloss, I'm looking for that property to gravitate towards the recesses rather than tinting it, and I always varnish models either way so the finish doesn't matter at all. But this does give me some more ideas... I really want to get started on a test model. 

I appreciate all the feedback so far! Keep those ideas coming. 

• 2 weeks later...

There's been some other talk of paint schemes and Flesh Tearer logos in a couple other places but here's an example of some primaris with a pretty straight forward recipe. Maybe a bit more highlighting than you were looking for though but it's along the same lines as what's been discussed here so far.

The shade I'm after is the one in the video above :smile.: I'm of the mind to not have an Primaris in my army, but who knows in the future? I had been told the shoulder guards are getting on a bit, but it'd save me far more hassle than trying to paint them on. I've had a go at printing decals for other Chapters and whilst they look okay, again, it's more convenience sake.

Any opinions on my list? I kept the DC basic for now, but want to add a Chaplain and a few other things to the list eventually.

list looks like a good start, power swords are great for us now the new codex is in effect. I have a squad of scout snipers that I run for fun some times, just don't expect them to kill much they are better at messing with your opponents mind that actually killing stuff.

The shade I'm after is the one in the video above

https://i.imgur.com/5T9Dvtb.jpg - these guys are khorne red base - nulin oil recess - highlights: mephiston red > evil suns scarlet > ushanti (spelling?) bone edge highlight.