Vulture gunship

Hawkeye252

I know the popular loadout for the apache of the 40k universe is the twin punisher cannons. That's why it was my first one. I can't help by wonder if any other builds would be useful or if anyone has experience with different weapon configurations.

I play against a lot of space elfs and dark space elfs so the anti air missiles sounded appealing too.

Edited by Hawkeye252

I seem to be one of the few people who enjoy rockets and that is the standard loadout that comes with buying a vulture. I like the multiple rocket pod's look on models and I like that you can still put some AT missiles on it. With how the rules work now being able to light up infantry and tanks relatively effectively is good flexibility to me.

I run Elysians so I have different needs and spaces filled, anti-infantry is not one of those needs atm.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt though, I have not fielded mine yet, just want to add a devil's advocate perspective.

I field flyers in bulk. The AT vulture is underwhelming thanks to its limited number of shots for expense. With the recent increase in price on Hellstrikes you will not be served well by the Vulture in that capacity. Rockets are a poor choice in my opinion because you fire fewer times at only AP-1 vs AP 0 on punisher cannons. Now you may point out that you can shoot them at BS 3+, but that is 4d6. A maximum of 24 shots vs 40, at an average of 14. So Punnishers will hit more shots on average than nearly the maximum number of shots capable for the rockets.

Guard AT flyers are difficult to field, at 305 points for a hellstrike lightning.

Do yourself a favor, take a tank before shelling out points for the AT Vulture.

Pretty much have come to the same conclusion and reasoning as Tirak. Last edition 4 MLRPs were actually not bad since it was a pie plate each. d6 per is rather meh vs automatic 40. For AT i have venators and the occasional Vendetta, not to mention my standard 2 missile squads.

After a game today, I Found that the Dakka Vulture was prime. Both of mine did work. They annihilated 2 warrior blobs. Now, they both were shot down on my opponent's first turn, but that was shooting he wasn't directing at my knights and tanks. Which was good since those were my workhorse units.