Hades Breaching Drill

major higgins

I was used to use one with Krieg with alternate succes, but Engineers are a thing and Veterans with few options are an another...

Now I'm testing a Valhallan list and in its Fluff they are used to use subterranean drill to get surprise attacks... I'm planning to deploy 3 Hades with their veterans, but which do you think is the better asset for them?

Flamers will be the best Fluff choice, but are the worst for a squad which must be deployed far than 9" from enemy, it will force me to use it only from 2nd turn (which probably never come for them) so I pass...

Melta or Plasma? Melta could be good against Vehicles, but are only two shots and far from the double roll for damage, Plasma could give me more flexibility, but probably they will emerge far from any officers...

What do you think? Do anyone use Hades, and how do you employ them? Do you hunt down enemy tanks, enemy infantry, or do you pop out as counterstrike unit close to your line??

Thanks

Edited by major higgins

Well for 1 point less than a Hades Breaching Drill squad with Melta guns, you could bring a 10 man Scion squad with all plasma guns.

Hades Breaching Drills suck, there's no way around it, you're better off with Scions in a Valhallan list.

I have used one in 8th and i love it, great and cheap distraction carnifex, that drill will eat most vehicles in 1 round and it is only 65points. I run mine with a plasma pistol and 2 plasma guns since they are BS4+ so still have the cheap plasma costings. If you combine with the dagger, you can potentially bring an officer on next to them to give orders. 

Plasma > melta due to cost and range. 

Rule of cool wins the drill, they look great, are great IMO and 3 of them are a serious threat!

Except a distraction Carnifex will run you 105 with tusks, adrenal glands, double scything talons and a -1 To be shot at. This with plasma is 139. For a few points more you could field a Russ, for quite a few less a Basilisk.

I'm not arguin about what will perform better, but which kind of setting is the best... I wish to stay fluff, because my mata is not extreme competitve. Sincerly I love the idea of drill which emerge from underground disgorging infantry. And after all scion are not valhallans, so they need a prime for orders and do not use valhallan rules...

I'd certainly go with 2x plasma + plasma pistol. 5 shots as they emerge should give you a decent chance to inflict some damage, even if you do not overcharge.

Sometimes I use mine as Catachan, to deepstrike in the enemy zone and force them to deal with the nasty drill. Ideally, the squad will meet my advancing Catachan forces and officers, but realistically that's not easy to coordinate. Still, quite a funny unit although certainly not optimal.

It's just so cool! A really pain in the arse to put together but when it pops up out the ground and disgorges a load of shotgun (and melta for me, no real reason...) it's great. Sure it'll die straight away and probably not do much and it's expensive but rule of cool beats all that easily.

Now you could take Plasma Scions instead. I suspect if we look hard enough we'll find that Plasma Scions are better to take than every single unit in the codex. But eugh.... Variety is the spice of life and the Hades drill is great!

I have a breaching drill, I wanted to take it, but it doesn't fit in my army. It is now in my wife's future motor pool for her guard. My group runs on rule of cool and fluff over mathhammered unit min-maxing, not trying to knock that play style, but that is not the way we play in my group.