Talon Master Custodes Jetbike

Rogue Crusader

Since the Custoides jetbikes previewed I knew I wanted to use one for making a Talon  Master, it was a bit bigger than I anticipated so I needed to use a primaris for the rider but I think it'll fit the role pretty well as a landspeeder sword wielder seems a bit goofy to me. More pics in my main WIP Templars thread  http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/329596-rebirth-of-a-crusade-wip-with-3d-parts/page-4

27336569_1655034554553677_81043081687387

It may be possible to use the rider legs from the standard bikes but you'll need to widen the leg position and probably need to cut down the seat a lot to make it fit. The rider will also probably end up sitting a lot further forward. It's likely still workable but will need a lot more cutting and the rider will probably look undersized as the jet bike is pretty hefty. Not a bad thing, just wasn't expecting it to be quite that large in scale based on the online pics. 

Edit: Here's a scale comparison with a standard sized bike

27458916_1655138441209955_24922853280482

Edited by Rogue Crusader

ok, gotta say I love it.  I also had this idea, but it was just thinking about how to use other non primaris dark angel units in my Ultima Founding dark angel successor chapter.     I haven't really mentioned them yet or created a thread for my all primaris dark angels successor chapter since there seems to be a distaste in the dark angel forums here for primaris, not that there aren't some shown, its just overall, they are seen as not trusted.    I had thought about converting up a primaris version for my chapter of Sammael using these bikes, but for normal bikes wasn't sure if I could model them with wheels or not.    Also I guess I could simply just field them as primaris count as for landspeeders in my list.   

So do you have any wip shots on what you kept for the rider, and where you recommended or used for the leg sections to make the mounted legs.   I would be interested in that, since that is the trickiest part, the arms not so much, but I really didn't want to use the leather chaps covered armor that the custodes were using. 

I got my jet bikes today and there is definitely work to be done to put regular bike marines on it, but I think it's doable. It's approx the same size as Corvex. I'm going to try recessing some of the engine parts that are between the legs making it too wide for marine biker legs. Edited by Brother Bish

For an actual game though keep in mind most speeders and skimmers distances are measured form the hull and not the speeder base. So you wouldn’t be able to take it to a tournament for example. But looks great. In the white dwarf article the designer actually said he took inspiration from corvex. Wonder if a new sammael model is coming?

If you're moving it properly, the difference in length shouldn't matter.  The front of a 3" long bike is as close to the enemy as it would be if the bike were half the length.

Unless, that is, you're the sort who measures moves from the front of the base and then places the back of the base at the new spot. :wink:
Also, I'm not sure where the dimensions of a Talon Master are actually specified.  Just because it's a "Land Speeder" doesn't mean it's the standard pattern.  A Storm is a Land Speeder, as is a Darkshroud. I know it sounds like gaming the system, but as I said before, it doesn't really make a difference in any practical sense.

Edited by Knight of Lupus

In the white dwarf article the designer actually said he took inspiration from corvex. Wonder if a new sammael model is coming?

May not be, but there are enough design hallmarks and similarities that I think we'll see some nice Sammael conversions from these jetbikes. Heck, even the lower tabard/robe parts are flying in approximately the same place across almost the same exhaust tubes, and the generator looks very similar.

I did a bit of measuring and the jet bike is the same length as the landspeeder (90mm) so there's no difference in how measuring would be impacted if you are measuring from the front of the model. The jetbike is 40mm at it's widest point where the landspeeder is  80mm when you include the wings (the hull is 43mm wide), if i place them each on the attack bike base it has the same footprint with the exception that the landspeeder's wings stick out about 4-5mm on each side. The height of the bike from top to bottom is a bit taller than the landspeeder so it's narrower but presents a taller profile if you are using true line of sight but the front section is much bulkier and taller compared to sloped nose on the speeder. Sure somebody that's worried about competitive play can complain about the size but I don't do competitive play so I'm not worried about it.

People that are that heavily concerned about a practically non-existant advantage probably aren't going to be ranking so well in the sportsmanship categories, nice conversion/painting and being a fun opponent has it's merits and often people get too focused only on the game outcome & performance. I'm somebody that's almost exclusively into the hobby side of 40k so if I were to go to an event I'd much rather people be talking about how cool and unique my army is and could care less about how it performs in game, everyone has their own motivations and goals for what they want out of an event my interests aren't tied to winning.

Edited by Rogue Crusader