Assault squads in 8th?

Smendrik

Not being troops is a tragedy I feel as well. I would use them as such to fill detachments for sure.

Perhaps not as great a tragedy as the simple Killshot stratagem oversight for our Baal Preds; that they sell to every new guy, and could fix with a quick FAQ.

Don't see it changing anytime soon officially tho.

Maybe they will release new strats in Chapter Approved some day: 

0 cp Fast Assault Troops

Use at the pregame army building stage to make Assault Marine units troops OR fast attack choices in your detachments as needed.

-----

Best codex in years really so I can't complain too much, just sucks to see some of my boys gathering dust for lack of attention to little details by the studio. 

Assault marines are still useful if you have them already and wanna run them, but again not something I would recommend a new player seek out really.

Making them troops would only shift the problem from assaults to tacticals for no reason. If you want to play a 100% jump pack army you can already do so but it is in no way the standard deployment for Blood Angels.

I'm very very glad they aren't a Troop choice.

I disagree - I would say that Tactical Squads fill a very different role and allow you to build a different type of list to Assault Squads. The problem Tactical Squads have is actually Intercessors, which fulfil a very similar role in an army.

I would very happily compromise, however, and say keep Assault Squads in the Fast Attack section but give them ObSec - or move them to Troops but without ObSec - which would avoid them stepping on the current Troops’ toes.

I would very happily compromise, however, and say keep Assault Squads in the Fast Attack section but give them ObSec - or move them to Troops but without ObSec - which would avoid them stepping on the current Troops’ toes.

Either of that would be fine with me. Ideally staying as Fast Attack but with ObSec.

The point of detatchments is that you bring plenty of troops (eg the basic dude in your army) to fill out detatchments and get CP.

Us asking for assault marines as troops is the same as White Scars asking for bikes as troops, DA wanting a Terminators exception or Night Lords wanting Raptors - it undermines a core part of the game and just feels very "have cake and eat it too".

The point of detatchments is that you bring plenty of troops (eg the basic dude in your army) to fill out detatchments and get CP.

Us asking for assault marines as troops is the same as White Scars asking for bikes as troops, DA wanting a Terminators exception or Night Lords wanting Raptors - it undermines a core part of the game and just feels very "have cake and eat it too".

I whole heartedly agree, having assault marines be troops wouldn't be a good thing.

Having assault marines (and raptors by extension) be obsec in an outrider detatchment wouldn't be a bad idea, but I would say a lot of armies have units that you used to be able to move into troop slots should do the same.

Ex, bikes for scars, termies of all varieties but especially for DA and Wolves, russes already do it in a spearhead as mentioned, etc.

I still love them, as I posted before. They're like mobile speedbumps that can punch a little before getting rolled over. I can drop them in where I need; in front of the zerkers, maulers, swarmlord, genestealers, etc.

I am talking about melta gun armed ASM. I have considered kitting out a full 10 man squad with 2X flamer, sgt. with plasma gun/handflamer/etc. I haven't done it yet, but I'll try one of these days. I would start them on the board and try and get into chaff-clearing range.

If you ever play old lists to see how they work in 8th then ASM are pretty standard.

If you have a plethora of them like many BA players then you still see them played.

I use Gabriel Seth's rules as my counts as Chapter Master for the Carmine Blades <Flesh Tearer> chapter tactics see me taking more ASM without jump packs. I still like the idea of cheap ASM to fill an outrider detachment as well.