Favorite Chaos Unit

Goreshed

I love the humble Chaos Space Marine unit, the backbone of a chaos warband and I always bring at least two units and have done since 5th edition.

They are the disgruntled former loyalists rubbing shoulders with astartes several centuries old, using arcaic weapons and armours that slowly grows attached to their users over time. Hatred incarnate but with tactical acumen that at least rivals their former loyalist brothers and even though they don't have the same supply advantage as loyalists they have the warp and the dark gods that gives them power...regardless if they want it or not...

I love them! The heart and soul of a chaos warband! <3

This. 

The "humble" Alpha Legionnaires, while still not amazing on the field, are my favourites. 

Or it's that passionate drive for individuality. We break free from the imperium's oppressive shackles of uniformity and STC to find your own power and unique soul... At the risk of losing it all to the Eldritch horrors that truly power the universe, because the chance of true power is worth the risk.

I mean, it's Chaos - we all find what we're looking for within the abyss as the darkness of the descent consumes us.

I am a guy who loves just about anything in 40k (except the wolves. I admire them but I see them as the kind of people who eat paste) but chaos is where my heart lies. I've had almost every army but they have come and gone while Chaos keeps growing.

So it is hard to pick a favorite unit when I love just about everything from our vaunted Legions. Yet I think I can narrow it down to two contenders. The Berzerker and the Possessed. I can just imagine the struggle each fights within their own mind and body against something they welcomed. A pain engine screams for bloodshed in the mind of one while a daemon resides in another taking the mortal flesh and turning into something that can be seen as divine & damned. Their is this duality in these types of astartes where I imagine they not only fight the Long War against a hated, ancient foe but also a battle within themselves.

I would have to say my favorite Chaos unit is the Chaos Space Marine. They are hidden gems waiting to be abused. People just have not caught on yet I think. Too many people are focused on cultist and bloodletter bombs right now that they have forgotten that Chaos Space Marines are quite scary as well.

As much as I like the legions, I would have to focus on renegade CSM. The ability to charge after advancing makes fielding large blobs of CSM very viable.

I would have to say my favorite Chaos unit is the Chaos Space Marine. They are hidden gems waiting to be abused. People just have not caught on yet I think. Too many people are focused on cultist and bloodletter bombs right now that they have forgotten that Chaos Space Marines are quite scary as well.

I fear that's not the case. Plenty people tried to focus on Chaos Marines already. It was one of the first things Chaos players jumped on just to be disappointed by Cultists being the stronger choice overall.

I fear that's not the case. Plenty people tried to focus on Chaos Marines already. It was one of the first things Chaos players jumped on just to be disappointed by Cultists being the stronger choice overall.

Cultists are a strong choice for sure. So include them as well. But I honestly feel that a cultist bomb backed up by 2-3 20 man CSM blobs assaulting the enemy would be pretty strong then you can just stratagem the remaining cultists into a better position to cap objectives. I wasn't saying they are better than cultists. But they fulfill a different role imho. But please take what I say knowing that I have not actually been able to field a chaos army yet. So my opinion is based solely off of the rules which can be misleading.

Only thing really keeping me from building chaos lists is the model line. Really surprised they decided to not update the line. Perhaps they are phasing out generic CSM. 

My Favourites are Noise Marines too, and Sonic Hellbrutes. So everything with sonic weapons in general. Love the Fluff and they are pretty decent on the table. Last weekend 2 Sonic Hellbrutes slaughtered plenty Necrons and where able to hit some huge dents into a monolith.

I even put some sonic weapons on terminators or even a warpsmith and just play them as whatever counts as shooty weapon I like.

Warp Talons are hands down my all around favorite unit.

I love jump packs. I love lightning claws. The Raptor/ Warp Talons kit is IMHO the best looking kit in the generic CSM range. I love their background depictions as hunters and assassins to the exclusion of all else, and as the ultimate battlefield disruption. I love their depictions in Black Library (Robbie made them really cool in Red Tithe, and ADB's Bleeding Eyes were Raptors, my head-canon is that they were halfway (d)evolved into Warp Talons with all the clicking and screeching they did).

Every list I write includes a unit of ten of them at the core. I love that they have the Infantry, Heretic Astartes, and Daemon keywords. You can stick so many buffs on them from both CSM and Daemons. And also they're not good enough to be an auto-take, so I get to surprise unfamiliar players by popping VotLW along with Virulent Blessings (from a Poxbringer herald) and punching a Storm Raven to death with no overwatch.