Forgefiends?

CombatVet

So reading the topic about Defilers has got me wondering about how to get some mileage out of my two Forgefiends.

They came out really nice and I would love to use them withoiut just giving up any chance of a game win.

Any ideas how to make them at least not completely worthless?

I have loved forgefiends since 7th, and used them since the beginning of 8th. I have lots of games with them in my sons army as they are a standard addition for me in basically every 1500-2k point list. 

The Thousand Sons in particular have a very easy time making Forgefiends good, their base stats are "decent" along with all daemon engines, and they are far tougher statistically then their predator counterparts.  It wont deal as much damage in one turn, but its very "Grindy" and can put out far more shots at a far greater pace.  8 normally, or if you feel  like upgrading  8 + 1d3 at str 7 ap -3 and D3 damage.  

This may be do to the Thousand sons in particular but I consider them the "daemon engine" legion in many respects.  Forgefiends are static fire bases, you generally dont want them moving so your putting them in your home turf, having something nearby for re-roll ones, and then having them plug away at visible targets most of the game. I take a forgefiend as standard every single game, most games it performs either great, or decent. Rarely ever does it "suck." and id challenge anyone that says they do. I have had mine blow whole squads of terminators off the table, destroy predators in one round of shooting (very lucky... admittedly...but still) and survive ridiculous amounts of firepower, given that they are sitting at 12 wounds, +1 wound a turn gained back if harmed keeping them in the good bracket longer, and a 33% chance through their "daemon" save to straight up ignore damage. 

I often take an exalted that sits at home to farm buffs, he uses his rr1's aura to buff my ranged firepower and creates a firebase that I work from, his spells are often Prescience + flickering flames. Flickering flames means that the forgefiends guns are wounding anything thats BELOW T8 on a 2+, and anything T8 on a 3+.  so your opponent will be taking saves, and its a low cast value so the majority of the time it will go off, prescience is saved for whichever of the daemon engines I believe needs it most, but a good percentage of the time it goes on the Forgefiend, occasionally the defiler. and occasionally on a auto/las pred that I use as well. 

Word of advice; Forget that the plasma arms even exist IMHO, statistically 2d3 at str 7, ap-3, even with D3 damage each Its so random because of the 2d3 shots that its INCREDIBLY swingy, along with the guns being a far shorter range (plasma from the forgefiend is 24 if I can recall) while the hades cannons have 8 shots guaranteed at str8, ap-1, d2 a wound.   I do on occasion take the Plasma face, which I find performs fine usually.  

TL;DR, I love forgefiends, but thousand sons have an easy time using them due to constant buffs, other legions have sorcerers + Daemonforge which still makes them decent, can usually pull even at least. 

One last note; I had been thinking of "doubling up" on Forgefiends myself, It seems like 2 of them in 2k or bigger would be fun and pretty good on the table, keep them near an Exalted Sorcerer, flicking flames one, prescience the other, and then Dakka something to death. 

Edited by Sonoftherubric21

Yeah, the fact that you have to bring either Magnus or a Daemon Prince just to take advantage of one of the three psychic disciplines in the book feels excessively restrictive, so I'm definitely glad they added that strategem. I'm a bit disappointed, honestly, that the codex doesn't include the rules to the Herald of Tzeentch; It seems like it would've been wise to include the whole contents of the Start Collecting Tzeentch Daemons box set in the codex, and I'm a lot less inclined to buy that SC when I can't even use all the models without buying a whole new codex just for the Herald and Exalted Flamer.

So I looked up the Chaos Familiar strategem in the CSM book and all it say is that a CSM Psyker can replace on of hisnpowers with one from the Dark Heretic list.

This does not give access to Tzeench Daemon powers right?

Am I missing an FAQ?

The Thousand Sons have their own version in their book that lets you choose DH, Change, or Tzeentch (the Daemon one).

Huh. I didn't even know that stratagem was a modification of one from the Chaos Space Marines codex; that makes it feel a lot less special, though it certainly makes sense. I never bought codex CSM since my LGS was charging $45 USD for it and calling it a 10% discount--I think they just assumed that codex CSM would be $50 because SM was, and after pointing it out to them repeatedly I still haven't managed to get them to fix it. I feel sorry for the poor chaps who bought the two overpriced copies they had in stock... Edited by Kite Senet

So I looked up the Chaos Familiar strategem in the CSM book and all it say is that a CSM Psyker can replace on of hisnpowers with one from the Dark Heretic list.

This does not give access to Tzeench Daemon powers right?

Am I missing an FAQ?

The Thousand Sons have their own version in their book that lets you choose DH, Change, or Tzeentch (the Daemon one).

Very good, thank you.

Guessing Battlescribe just isn't sorted yet. Still showing Arihman can't take Tzeench powers.

How about taking the Forgefiends with other Legions aside from the TS? What would be the best strategies/buffs to use? I really want to add a Forgefiend to my IWs but I am a n00b when it comes to the rules.

What about a chaos contemptor with dual butcher cannons though?

Its a bit of a different ballgame then the daemon engine.  Though I can definitely see the reason for taking either. 

I dont have the statline on me but I believe they are comparable. and in points they are almost identical. 

Engines tougher with strategem assist just as accurate, the butcher cannon contemptor is naturally as accurate but not as tough and daemon buffs dont effect it, for guns which I "believe" are the same statline?   str8, ap-1, d2, but the butcher cannons subtract an extra LD from viable targets. neat trick admittedly. 

but the contemptors not as tough, daemon with infernal regen, though I can certainly make a case for the contemptor being good as well, as well as any of our helbrutes honestly, all pretty good this edition.