Alternative boltgun models

Spyboy

So I am trying to decide on an alternative boltgun on my commanders and sergeants. My army is all about heat based weaponry as they fight in the cold a lot, so las/plas. Would swapping boltguns out for scion hotshot lasguns work? And if so does anyone know if a GW store would except that?

Anyone have any alternative ideas? Also just to be clear, the weapon will count as a boltgun in all games.

I converted some Anvil Exorcist Carbines from their Exo-Lords line into boltguns on my sergeants. The result actually worked out pretty well I thought. The caveat of course being I was using their Regiment infantry line and following their conversion guide so I'm not sure how well it'd work with GW kit.

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/regiments-exo-lord-weapons

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/The-Armoury/Rifles-Shotguns-Pistols/Exorcist-Carbine-5

Why not use a regular boltgun and swap the magazine out for an energy cell (like those on lasguns)?

It'd fit your theme better, and it would still be really clear what it is even without explanation - just that fluffwise, it fires explosive laser bolts or somesuch.

@Tirak, those carbines do look nice, just not quite what I am looking for. Thanks though.

@Major Gilbear, that could work, just have to find a way to convert sergeants to have botguns. Any idea what the best boltgun models are for this?

You could try the one in the Catachan Command set as you can trim them at the wrist and add them to your figs.

Otherwise, the plastic Space Marine ones are fine (and cheap) if a little large.

Generally though, I find most Space Marine bolters a little too big for most human troops - and I just have to deal with it as there aren't any better-sized options really.

...Maybe the enlarged Primaris Space Marine bolt pistols could make better-sized IG bolters?

@major gilbear. I knew about the Catachan one but really don't feel like buying a Catachan command box for every squad I do, espicially as I am going with cadians. I have to agree with you on the current space marine boltguns, a little large.

I will check out the primaris bolt pistols though, interesting idea.

@Ultrarich, do you mean older pattern as in they made the models a while ago or an earlier edition of the weapon like Hours Hersey era?

The Sisters of Silence come with Umbra Boltguns (same pattern as what UltraRich linked but without the box magazine and scopes). The MK4 Tigrus bolters are a little smaller too just don't go for the MK2/3 Phobos bolters as they are huge haha!