Thoughts on "The Blender"

superwill

My Captain has an inferno pistol, I don't find the shield worth it.

With a rerollable 2+ to hit, a melta shot to soften up vehicles/monsters (or hilariously other characters) before hammer time is worth much more to me than the slightly improved invuln.

If I throw the captain into a mess to have him kill something big, either he's screened by other units (rare, requires opponent to have misplaced something) or I consider him dead, the only question being how much fire he soaks up first.

If I'm not sending him on a suicide mission, he doesn't need the shield, as he's protected by other units.

For example, last game he charged 2 Russes, killed 1, hurt the other with his pistol, and made it fall back, so it didn't shoot that turn.

A squad of melta vets disembarked, advanced to get into range, and vaped him.

A storm shield wouldnt have saved him from them, wounded 3 times, rolled a 1,2, and 5 for saves.

He took like 6 or 7 wounds.

So instead of wasting 15 pts, I spent 9 to do 5 damage to a Russ.

I much prefer the combi-melta over the inferno pistol, points are well worth the range increase to me. I don't get to shoot in any subsequent rounds of combat but I get the shot off first which has often helped keep combat to one round.

I have a Captain Slash that I used to use in 5th edition, I'll have to bust him back out and see how he does in this edition after perusing this thread.

The Inferno Pistol isn't that great, unless you plan to move him up the table normally, instead of using Descent of Angels. DoA isn't always an option because of screening, but it's one of the major plays with Captain Hammer - he comes screaming out of reserves and demolishes a nasty key target. But that prevents him from using the 6" range Inferno Pistol.

That's not to say it's a terrible investment, but it's one that will, in all likelihood, go unused fairly often.

@The Unseen: with those rolls, was that pre-Command Reroll stratagem? Regardless, that's just dice for you - every time you fail against a couple of high damage attacks and get punked like a :cuss, there'll be a time when barely anything gets through and the Hammer goes to town.

The Inferno Pistol isn't that great, unless you plan to move him up the table normally, instead of using Descent of Angels. DoA isn't always an option because of screening, but it's one of the major plays with Captain Hammer - he comes screaming out of reserves and demolishes a nasty key target. But that prevents him from using the 6" range Inferno Pistol.

That's not to say it's a terrible investment, but it's one that will, in all likelihood, go unused fairly often.

@The Unseen: with those rolls, was that pre-Command Reroll stratagem? Regardless, that's just dice for you - every time you fail against a couple of high damage attacks and get punked like a :cuss, there'll be a time when barely anything gets through and the Hammer goes to town.

I wasn't going to reroll, as he had already taken a wound or 2 from a company commander+ogryn that had heroically intervened, so he only had 3 left.

Odds of a single 2d6 take higher melta shot (assuming I'd passed the reroll)+the sarge plasma pistol, and then 6 lasguns not taking off those 3 wounds wasn't worth the reroll.

I tend to use Forlorn Fury on the captain, for a 24+d6" fly move and then a rerollable charge.

Tbf, the pistol in my example got to be used when it was one of the board set-ups where it's only 18" between deployment zones, and the russ wasn't deployed with enough bubblewrap.

If you were going to use DoA on the captain, I would go combi-melta, not shield.