Forging the Narrative: Devastation of Baal

Jolemai

Nice article for people who aren't as invested in the hobby but for most of us pretty uninteresting I guess since I doubt many here would have trouble coming up with "play stronghold assault with no-primaris BA vs Leviathan Tyranids, include named BA characters and a Swarmlord, add fancy houserules like letting Dante revive once per game". ^^

Reading that Article, I don’t think their Community Team did.

*spoilers* -don’t know how to hide text on phone-

The Flesh Tearers really didn’t do much in the defense of Ba’al, the Ultramarines were mostly cleanup crew, the true hero of Ba’al was actually the daemon. To clarify, when the Daemon manifested, it separated the Ba’al system from time cutting the Tyranids off from the hive mind. It was that lull that caused the ‘nids to fall to instinctive behavior and start killing each other, and most importantly killing each other in space. When the Flesh Tearers got into orbit space was empty except for the Indomitus fleet.

Any attention is good attention, yeah? ;)

I think this is cool. As much as I enjoy competitive play, I love a good narrative game. If I had more Tyranid players in my group I think this would be fun. I’d come up with my own missions and scenarios though that capture the novel better. It’d be fun nonetheless.

As an aside, I’d rather do a narrative campaign based on the war for Armageddon. We have plenty of Orks, BA and the necessary imperial components!

So you can start with Shield of Baal modified for 8th edition.

One of the first missions I've been toying with is called "Contact" Tyranids get The Endless Swarm ability, basically if an entire unit is destroyed you may bring them back in your following turn from their starting board edge. Also, fortifications that you normally purchase you can get for free.

The Tyranids also gain Descent of the Hive Mind. Any unit may be set up in reserve, on the first turn you may choose to deepstrike the units but Auspex scan can be used for free if any units are put within 12" of any infantry <Blood Angels> units. If the squad is destroyed it counts as a kill point, but the turn player can immediately bring the destroyed unit back onto the table from his board edge.

Mission is hold the line for BA and successors, every <Leviathan> unit that is within BAs deployment zone gains +3 VP including Line Breaker.

BA gain the stratagem ["Faith and Fury" 3CP As the Endless Swarm moves ever closer brothers abandon conservation of ammo." Once per game if this stratagem is used any <Blood Angels> unit within 6" of your warlord doubles all of their weapon profiles shot characteristics, I.e. Rapid Fire 2 becomes Rapid Fire 4 and so on.]

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten